Hollywood Sport Rider / Performance XPORT Flatbed 2

user_one

Guest
The Sport Rider is the second rack down on this page:

http://www.hollywoodracks.com/2&3.htm

and I think it is also the same as the Performance XPORT Flatbed 2:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17093&subcategory_ID=4411

I kinda like the looks of it, and I want to go with something very
simple and light for my Prius (custom hitch) ... maybe I should fall
back to just a Yakima Kingpin 2 or something ...

If anyone has seen or used the Sport Rider (Flatbed 2), I'd appreciate
hearing about your experience, and the contrast with "regular" hitch
racks.

(I have a hardtail now, but am considering a full suspension bike for
later)

user_one wrote:
> The Sport Rider is the second rack down on this page:
>
> http://www.hollywoodracks.com/2&3.htm
>
> and I think it is also the same as the Performance XPORT Flatbed 2:
>
> http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=17093&subcategory_ID=4411
>
> I kinda like the looks of it, and I want to go with something very
> simple and light for my Prius (custom hitch) ... maybe I should fall
> back to just a Yakima Kingpin 2 or something ...
>
> If anyone has seen or used the Sport Rider (Flatbed 2), I'd appreciate
> hearing about your experience, and the contrast with "regular" hitch
> racks.
>
> (I have a hardtail now, but am considering a full suspension bike for
> later)

You're gonna stick a hitch rack on a Prius? The thing is already
weighty in the rear with batteries. I wouldn't stick anything on the
back of something that would cost 10 times as much as a normal car to
repair if hit. Put it on the roof or use a Saris Bones.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

I talked to the hitch installer, and he seemed to think 2-3 light bikes
would be OK. He knew enough to say he didn't mean downhill bikes.

I did pick up the box with this "Sport Rider" and I think it actually
weighs a bit less than the upright Yakima/Thules. I'm just worried
that it would wave around a lot, and torque the mounting points.

And no, I haven't ruled out roof racks ... I've just never had the kind
that grab at the door frame. For past cars I've been lucky enough to
use existing rails as mounts.

user_one wrote:
> I talked to the hitch installer, and he seemed to think 2-3 light bikes
> would be OK. He knew enough to say he didn't mean downhill bikes.
>
> I did pick up the box with this "Sport Rider" and I think it actually
> weighs a bit less than the upright Yakima/Thules. I'm just worried
> that it would wave around a lot, and torque the mounting points.
>
> And no, I haven't ruled out roof racks ... I've just never had the kind
> that grab at the door frame. For past cars I've been lucky enough to
> use existing rails as mounts.

Before I got my Bravada, I had a GrandAm with a Yakima roof system. It
had the Qclips that grab the door overhang. I had absolutely no problem
with it. It didn't scratch, held tight, and there were no leaks through
the door. The Bravada is a truck with a big trailer size hitch. I do
not get much in the way of swaying. I would have put a roof system, but
I am too short to get the bikes up there.

I would be very afraid, even with 2 or 3 "light bikes" to put a hitch
system on that car. You are still talking about 75 pounds to a 1.5"
hitch. One good speedbump that you didn't see and you are going to do
some serious damage to the car, rack, and bikes.

Again, I know a few people with your car. I have seen one of them after
a rear-ender. The whole hitch system could end up in the battery
compartment. Do you really want to replace $5000 worth of batteries?

As far as fuel economy is concerned, I think you will lose either way.
The Prius is not very wide or tall, so the rear bikes will stick out and
cause drag. I am sure there are engineers in this forum who probably
know the exact drag coefficient, but I would venture to say that it
would be almost as bad as a roof system although with a faring and bras
on the bikes it could be reduced.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

I've been surfing priuschat.com and priusonline.com forums. At this
point I'd say most of the folks there have hitch racks. Now, whether
that is because it is a good idea, or because it is a crowd movement
.... who knows. Anyway thanks, more research is in order.