Holy Bicycles Batman!

cfsmtb

Apr 11, 2003
Hmmm, will wonders never cease? :) For a wondrous event, read the article on "Blessing of the Bicycles". Think the '3-in-1 oil' would be cheaper & wiser than the going rate of 60 quid a barrel... :(

Bloomberg: Crude Oil Trades Above $60 on Concern Over Iranian Production

Vancouver's bikes are blessed, anointed with '3-in-1 oil'
'Bicycle is symbolic of an ecologically responsible lifestyle,' reverend says
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.html?id=b0153aae-02c1-4b65-9056-56c07305288a

Rev. Emilie Smith of the Anglican Church and Rev. Peter Fischer, a Lutheran, blesses bicycles and bicyclists at Christ Church Cathedral in downtown Vancouver Friday afternoon. A dab of sunscreen went on the nose and a drop of oil on the chain of bicycles.

CREDIT: Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun
Rev. Paul Borthistle blesses bicycles and bicyclists Friday.

About 50 people stood on the steps of Christ Church Cathedral with their bicycles Friday listening to the ringing of bells. Bicycle bells, that is.

Mounted on bicycles wearing their bike helmets and rain jackets, the cyclists rang their bells to start Vancouver's first blessing of the bicycles event aimed at promoting cycling as an alternate means of transportation to the automobile.

Reverends Paul Borthistle and Emilie Smith of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster and Rev. Peter Fischer of Christ Lutheran Church led the blessing, that included the sprinkling of holy water over cyclists and the anointing of bicycles with "blessed 3-in-1 oil."

"We're trying to draw the connection between responsible use of creation and bicycles," Borthistle said in an interview.

"The bicycle is symbolic of an ecologically responsible lifestyle, so when we're blessing the bicycle, what we're saying is we're acknowledging that [cyclists] have made a conscious choice to live in an ecologically responsible way."

Almost every part of the bicycle was blessed at the event. "Bless these seats that they shall carry us in comfort...Bless these wheels and tires that they soften the blow of the unsuspected pothole...Bless these bicycles, martyred saints of the machine age," cyclists recited on the steps of the cathedral over the rumble of buses, cars and trucks driving past on the corner of Burrard and Georgia Streets.

While the ceremony had a lighthearted feel to it, Borthistle said the blessing did have a significant purpose. "In this case, we're not causing anything to happen, and we're not creating a blessed relationship...We're naming before the people in attendance a relationship that already exists.

"By naming it, you give it power," he said.

Ellisha Kamell, 27, took a bus all the way from Chilliwack to participate in the event with a new bicycle she bought earlier in the day. "It's a great thing to ask for God's blessing for making responsible choices about sustainability," she said of the event.

Paige Dampier, one of the organizers of the event, said the idea came from similar blessings that had taken place in New York City and Los Angeles. "We timed it so it coincides with the Critical Mass ride in June which tends to have a festival atmosphere because it's Bike Month," she said.

She said the event is part of a larger campaign to think about how our transportation choices have social concerns. "It's a way to say that as faith communities, we are concerned about the state of the planet and want to be part of a positive solution," she said.

As part of the ceremony, a moment of silence was observed for cyclists who had been injured or killed in a cycling accident showing the dangers cyclists face on the streets with automobiles.

"Cycling is a lot of fun, but there's risk involved when it's used for daily transportation," said Fischer who does not own a car and bikes around town.

[email protected]

MANY BLESSINGS

What else besides bicycles will a cleric bless for you?

- People, relationships

- Pets, animals

- Jewellery marking special moments

- Cars, vehicles

- Homes, buildings

- Boats, ships

cfsmtb said:
Hmmm, will wonders never cease? :) For a wondrous event, read the article on "Blessing of the Bicycles". Think the '3-in-1 oil' would be cheaper & wiser than the going rate of 60 quid a barrel... :(

Bloomberg: Crude Oil Trades Above $60 on Concern Over Iranian Production

Vancouver's bikes are blessed, anointed with '3-in-1 oil'
'Bicycle is symbolic of an ecologically responsible lifestyle,' reverend says
http://www.canada.com/vancouver/story.html?id=b0153aae-02c1-4b65-9056-56c07305288a

Rev. Emilie Smith of the Anglican Church and Rev. Peter Fischer, a Lutheran, blesses bicycles and bicyclists at Christ Church Cathedral in downtown Vancouver Friday afternoon. A dab of sunscreen went on the nose and a drop of oil on the chain of bicycles.

CREDIT: Steve Bosch, Vancouver Sun
Rev. Paul Borthistle blesses bicycles and bicyclists Friday.

About 50 people stood on the steps of Christ Church Cathedral with their bicycles Friday listening to the ringing of bells. Bicycle bells, that is.

Mounted on bicycles wearing their bike helmets and rain jackets, the cyclists rang their bells to start Vancouver's first blessing of the bicycles event aimed at promoting cycling as an alternate means of transportation to the automobile.

Reverends Paul Borthistle and Emilie Smith of the Anglican Diocese of New Westminster and Rev. Peter Fischer of Christ Lutheran Church led the blessing, that included the sprinkling of holy water over cyclists and the anointing of bicycles with "blessed 3-in-1 oil."

"We're trying to draw the connection between responsible use of creation and bicycles," Borthistle said in an interview.

"The bicycle is symbolic of an ecologically responsible lifestyle, so when we're blessing the bicycle, what we're saying is we're acknowledging that [cyclists] have made a conscious choice to live in an ecologically responsible way."

Almost every part of the bicycle was blessed at the event. "Bless these seats that they shall carry us in comfort...Bless these wheels and tires that they soften the blow of the unsuspected pothole...Bless these bicycles, martyred saints of the machine age," cyclists recited on the steps of the cathedral over the rumble of buses, cars and trucks driving past on the corner of Burrard and Georgia Streets.

While the ceremony had a lighthearted feel to it, Borthistle said the blessing did have a significant purpose. "In this case, we're not causing anything to happen, and we're not creating a blessed relationship...We're naming before the people in attendance a relationship that already exists.

"By naming it, you give it power," he said.

Ellisha Kamell, 27, took a bus all the way from Chilliwack to participate in the event with a new bicycle she bought earlier in the day. "It's a great thing to ask for God's blessing for making responsible choices about sustainability," she said of the event.

Paige Dampier, one of the organizers of the event, said the idea came from similar blessings that had taken place in New York City and Los Angeles. "We timed it so it coincides with the Critical Mass ride in June which tends to have a festival atmosphere because it's Bike Month," she said.

She said the event is part of a larger campaign to think about how our transportation choices have social concerns. "It's a way to say that as faith communities, we are concerned about the state of the planet and want to be part of a positive solution," she said.

As part of the ceremony, a moment of silence was observed for cyclists who had been injured or killed in a cycling accident showing the dangers cyclists face on the streets with automobiles.

"Cycling is a lot of fun, but there's risk involved when it's used for daily transportation," said Fischer who does not own a car and bikes around town.

[email protected]

MANY BLESSINGS

What else besides bicycles will a cleric bless for you?

- People, relationships

- Pets, animals

- Jewellery marking special moments

- Cars, vehicles

- Homes, buildings

- Boats, ships

Jesus rides a bike. I see him around the shops near me - long hair, beard, sandals. Or maybe he's just a hippy. :D

My local Anglican Church used to hold meetings at the local pub until the pub closed down to make way for inner suburban high-rise yuppy housing.

The pub was a good'un with Guinness, Kilkenny and other good things on tap. Its demise is very sad especially as it was walking distance from my house.:(

SteveA

SteveA said:
Jesus rides a bike. I see him around the shops near me - long hair, beard, sandals. Or maybe he's just a hippy. :D

or 'THE hippy' :rolleyes:

i think he's off on the 'da vinci code' tour at the mo.
Apparently Dan Brown claims Jesus drank over 600 different types of beer...

i hate that book. actually i just hate that every MoFo has read it cos someone told em to. feckin lemmings...

flyingdutch said:
or 'THE hippy' :rolleyes:

i think he's off on the 'da vinci code' tour at the mo.
Apparently Dan Brown claims Jesus drank over 600 different types of beer...

i hate that book. actually i just hate that every MoFo has read it cos someone told em to. feckin lemmings...

Ah, man, it's the Celestine Prophecy for the mid-oughties! That said, DVC still utter utter ****. :p

On 2005-06-28, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)
was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:
>
> Hmmm, will wonders never cease? :) For a wondrous event, read the
> article on "Blessing of the Bicycles". Think the '3-in-1 oil' would be
> cheaper & wiser than the going rate of 60 quid a barrel... :(

Way cool.

--
TimC
The universe was strange after we had beauty and truth replaced

flyingdutch wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>
>>Jesus rides a bike. I see him around the shops near me - long hair,
>>beard, sandals. Or maybe he's just a hippy. :D
>>

>
>
> or 'THE hippy' :rolleyes:
>
> i think he's off on the 'da vinci code' tour at the mo.
> Apparently Dan Brown claims Jesus drank over 600 different types of
> beer...
>

Oi Paddy, 'tis not beer, 'tis holy water!

cfsmtb said:
Ah, man, it's the Celestine Prophecy for the mid-oughties! That said, DVC still utter utter ****. :p
Says something when the recent doco series on the DVC had Tony Robinson (aka Baldrick) as the narrator. He was serious, but I kept waiting for him to explain that the DVC was 'a cunning plan, M'lord' :D

Steve(the DVC is as false as .... one of those big false things)A

SteveA said:
Says something when the recent doco series on the DVC had Tony Robinson (aka Baldrick) as the narrator. He was serious, but I kept waiting for him to explain that the DVC was 'a cunning plan, M'lord' :D

Steve(the DVC is as false as .... one of those big false things)A
Did the program ``Time Team'' make it down here?

http://www.channel4.com/history/timeteam/

Tony Robinson's been the front man for this show for a few years now and, in the UK at least, is more commonly associated with Time Team than Blackadder these days.
--
Cheers
Euan

Dutchy wrote:

> i hate that book. actually i just hate that every
> MoFo has read it cos someone told em to. feckin
> lemmings..

I read it 'cos I heard it upset the Catholics. I figure anything that upsets the Catholics must be good. It's a good plane-flight book :) Certainly a breath of fresh air after fscking Lord of the Rings.

Regards,

Suzy (hates Hobbits)

suzyj wrote:
> Dutchy wrote:

>> i hate that book. actually i just hate that every
>> MoFo has read it cos someone told em to. feckin
>> lemmings..

> I read it 'cos I heard it upset the Catholics. I figure anything that
> upsets the Catholics must be good. It's a good plane-flight book :)
> Certainly a breath of fresh air after fscking Lord of the Rings.

> Suzy (hates Hobbits)

I resisted reading the DVC because everybody told me to, but I caved in.
Not a bad yarn as yarns go. But really people, it's fiction. It upsets the
Catholics because it is very loosely based around their fiction.

Read Lord of the Rings 30 years ago. That would be before 'the time of
Suzy'. :)

Theo
Living in what the locals call "The Shire" and wondering why all the people
born here have big hairy feet.
Nice Hobbitses.

suzyj <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
> Dutchy wrote:
>
>> lemmings..

>
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy (hates Hobbits)
>
>

I'm with you Suzy. After I heard that the Pope had banned catholics
from reading it I had to read it. And it was a great pile of ....
Least it was easy to give away.

Cheers

BrettM

>
> Dutchy wrote:
>
>> lemmings..

>
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy (hates Hobbits)
>
>

Cheers

BrettM

>
> Dutchy wrote:
>
>> lemmings..

>
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy (hates Hobbits)
>
>

Cheers

BrettM

>
> Dutchy wrote:
>
>> lemmings..

>
>
> Regards,
>
> Suzy (hates Hobbits)
>
>

Cheers

BrettM

EuanB wrote:
> SteveA Wrote:
>
>>Says something when the recent doco series on the DVC had Tony Robinson
>>(aka Baldrick) as the narrator. He was serious, but I kept waiting for
>>him to explain that the DVC was 'a cunning plan, M'lord' :D
>>
>>Steve(the DVC is as false as .... one of those big false things)A

>
> Did the program ``Time Team'' make it down here?
>
> http://www.channel4.com/history/timeteam/
>
> Tony Robinson's been the front man for this show for a few years now
> and, in the UK at least, is more commonly associated with Time Team
> than Blackadder these days.

i used to hang out for it every week when i was in london =)

i don't watch any tv any more =D

cheers,

kim

Brett wrote:
> suzyj <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>
>>Dutchy wrote:
>>
>>
>>>i hate that book. actually i just hate that every
>>>MoFo has read it cos someone told em to. feckin
>>>lemmings..

>>
>>I read it 'cos I heard it upset the Catholics. I figure anything that
>>upsets the Catholics must be good. It's a good plane-flight book :)
>>Certainly a breath of fresh air after fscking Lord of the Rings.
>>
>>Regards,
>>
>>Suzy (hates Hobbits)
>>
>>

>
>
> I'm with you Suzy. After I heard that the Pope had banned catholics
> from reading it I had to read it. And it was a great pile of ....
> Least it was easy to give away.
>
> Cheers
>
> BrettM

Ah it's the old reverse psychology trick. That book has created more
interest in catholicism than anything since the crucifixion, the more
the church condemns it the more interest it creates. Any publicity is
good publicity (as they say). Churches are now packed with rubbernecks
looking for hidden meanings.

http://www.freesearch.co.uk/dictionary/rubbernecks