Holy ****, this place is dead

whiteboytrash said:
I'm with Bro. You know what...... everyone was pumped start of the season & the first few races.... once the Giro rolled around the same old ******** came out....... Sella & Contador spoilt a wonderful clean season and dragged it back to what we've seen for the last 15 years.... it was just more of the same..... UCI trumpeting on that Contador was clean but not giving the same assurances about any other rider and Bruyneel running the same spin about broken elbows, hayfever and beach holidays.... I for one have lost some of the passion......... only if French riders start winning will I believe again.......
Yeah. French guys winning was cool. I am hopeful that the tour will be exciting this year. Not the same 10 guys in the lead group on every mountain stahe. I want to see a GC contender grab five minutes on the field and then loose 25 minutes the next day. I want to see human beings race. Not some juiced racing machine like Big Brown (for the non-Americans, Big Brown is a horse that won the Kentucky Derby admittedly juiced to the gills this year).

Malkmus said:
Yeah. French guys winning was cool. I am hopeful that the tour will be exciting this year. Not the same 10 guys in the lead group on every mountain stahe. I want to see a GC contender grab five minutes on the field and then loose 25 minutes the next day. I want to see human beings race. Not some juiced racing machine like Big Brown (for the non-Americans, Big Brown is a horse that won the Kentucky Derby admittedly juiced to the gills this year).
Ok Malkmus, you've gone too far now. You can talk about all of these bike boys all you want, but Big Brown was clean dangit:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/horseracing/ny-spbigbrown0625,0,5843338.story

:mad: (j/k ;) )

Awesome. That is definatley on my summer reading list. You know, I think he is going to pull it off again this year. Can't wait for the Tour.

Hey, is it true that Alberto is skipping the Tour to concentrate on the Olympics? How cool is that. Looks like it is up to Levi now.

Crockett said:
Champions overcome that. It's the horse racing equivalent to brakes rubbing.
Good point.

See Bro, this place ain't dead. It's just become a horse racing forum. ;)

Ava Marie said:

oh and I love the reviews...... I guess Lance & Johan had lots of fun posting these:

I was very pleasantly surprised reading Johan Bruyneel's book "We Might As Well Win". It could have been an indulgent, sloppy mess. Instead, it is a crisp, well-written, multi-layered, fun, and insightful book that provides equal parts insights into Lance, insights into Johan, insights into races, and insights into winning. Bruyneel's personal strengths are projected through the writing, including a gentleman's restraint and a willingness to look reality squarely in the face.

An excellent cycling book, definitely gets a podium spot on my bookshelf!

I loved this book!, May 18, 2008
By Sandy D. Scott (Seminole, FL USA) - See all my reviews

This book is a must read for anyone with even a remote interest in bicycle racing. The book is an incredible insight into the managerial genius of Johan Bruyneel who has led his teams to an incredible 8 wins out of the last 9 Tours de France. I found it fascinating to read the descriptions of his strategical and tactical approach to winning.

We learn about Bruyneel's early years as a pro bicycle racer and his stage victory in the Tour de France. The book also is a fascinating insight into the relationship between Johan and Lance Armstrong.

My only disappointment with the book is that after an incredibly quick read of 205 pages, I hated to finish the book - I wish there was more!

Pleasantly Surprised, June 1, 2008
By Julie A. H. (Great Lakes, USA) - See all my reviews
I have been a cycling fan for years. I particularly love the goings on of the professional peloton. The riders, the back stories, and, especially, the tactics.
When I heard Johan Bruyneel was writing a book, I thought it would be more directed towards business professionals. A "how to get ahead" type mantra.
I was pleasantly surprised to find that that is not this book!

Johan Bruyneel writes a clean, well formed, clear picture of the professional peloton during his years as a rider, and then as DS for the US Postal and Discovery Channel Pro Cycling teams. In this book, you find that, as a rider, Johan was a looker. He kept a close eye on other riders in the peloton. He sized them up, if you will. In this book, Johan Bruyneel encapsulates what he "took in" while "checking out the scene", and candidly shares his findings with the reader.

He then explains why this is so important in the shaping of Lance Armstrong with specific race examples. The reader will understand that while, yes, luck does play a part in winning not only one Grand Tour, but 7 in a row, a well though out, meticulous game plan is the key to success.

This book takes you back to specific stages - specific climbs - and opens a window for you to see what actually was going on between Johan, Lance and the other 8 riders riding le Tour. It is like you were able to listen in on the race radio. Some pretty funny things are said on that radio!

You will find the meaning behind the thought "We Might As Well Win". You will also find that you can apply that to your own daily life - regardless of what you do.

Think Bobke, but more tactical, more precise.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I know Johan Bryuneel has hundreds, if not thousands more stories in his head. Should he ever decide to write them down, I will be one of many in line to get my copy.

So get your copy. Have a quick, easy read, and see if you knew what was really going on, say in the 1999 Tour de France Alpe d'Heuz stage. Was Armstrong spent? Was he giving it his all? Was he holding back? How much did he have left in his tank at the base of that climb?

Well, you will just have to read the book and find out.

whiteboytrash said:
I was in a bookshop in Wales on the weekend & I really wish I had my camera with me....... on the bookshelf was the hardcover edition of "You might as well win" right next to a book on drugs in sport........ they were perfect companion books....
"Might As Well Go Work In A Gulag - Anything To Get Away From My Monstrosity Of A Wife."

Rolfrae said:
"Might As Well Go Work In A Gulag - Anything To Get Away From My Monstrosity Of A Wife."

Ha ! LOL ! No wonder he doing the commentary this year.... he looks forward to July every year for 3 weeks away from Mrs.ET.... that why he was so ****** with ASO...

whiteboytrash said:
Ha ! LOL ! No wonder he doing the commentary this year.... he looks forward to July every year for 3 weeks away from Mrs.ET.... that why he was so ****** with ASO...
It's a book aimed at idiots. If anyone thinks they are going to get the "back story" to the 7 Tour wins then they know fark all about cycling. Him writing this book without mentioning the doping Lance used is like Michael Schumacher's team manager writing about the 7 world titles but denying that there was ever any petrol in the Ferrari engine.

Rolfrae said:
It's a book aimed at idiots. If anyone thinks they are going to get the "back story" to the 7 Tour wins then they know fark all about cycling. Him writing this book without mentioning the doping Lance used is like Michael Schumacher's team manager writing about the 7 world titles but denying that there was ever any petrol in the Ferrari engine.

or more to the point that Shuey never ran anyone off the road in a bid to win a world title !

Rolfrae said:

I agree.

I think that its a book targetted toward general sports market, and not targetted to cycling fans (except those blind faith believer type "cycling fans").

Quickly checked accredited cycling journalists - and I haven't seen any reviews posted by them about the Bruyneels book.
Possibly because those journos know the real story with Bruyneel aka Mini Saiz.