Holy ****, this place is dead

earth_dweller said:
been really busy, took a few days off but have not abandoned the board. just life is happening (which is a good thing)
Yeah, your presence has really been missed by a couple of us. ;) That is a good thing, as long as the "life happening" pertains to good things happening. :)

earth_dweller said:
been really busy, took a few days off but have not abandoned the board. just life is happening (which is a good thing)
Oh.. so you've got another life now, huh?... Does your other life share a wine at 11:00pm?... Does your other life allow you to vent on JB and musette?... Can you switch your other life off and put it in hiberbate mode? Is it an older version of us? Is it perverted like us? Would it grope you in a theater? Does it speak eloquently? Let you say "Oh Baby". I'm sure it will make a really excellent time-waster... :mad:

Rolfrae said:
It's a book aimed at idiots. If anyone thinks they are going to get the "back story" to the 7 Tour wins then they know fark all about cycling. Him writing this book without mentioning the doping Lance used is like Michael Schumacher's team manager writing about the 7 world titles but denying that there was ever any petrol in the Ferrari engine.

I liked this question to Bruyneel about his new book:

VN: One name that is not mentioned in the book is Michele Ferrari, why did you avoid this topic in the book?

JB: I wanted it to be a positive book. There are a lot of things that have been said that are negative. I wanted the book to be focused on the philosophy of winning. That wasn’t necessary to mention, and it is controversial anyway. That’s a battle I gave up on a long time ago. I don’t want to have to keep explaining and keep defending ourselves. I’ve passed that stage a long time ago.

whiteboytrash said:
I liked this question to Bruyneel about his new book:

VN: One name that is not mentioned in the book is Michele Ferrari, why did you avoid this topic in the book?

JB: I wanted it to be a positive book. There are a lot of things that have been said that are negative. I wanted the book to be focused on the philosophy of winning. That wasn’t necessary to mention, and it is controversial anyway. That’s a battle I gave up on a long time ago. I don’t want to have to keep explaining and keep defending ourselves. I’ve passed that stage a long time ago.
Yeah cause Ferrari had nothing to do with the winning.

The book is part of the whole spin. Problem is nearly all pro cyclists, including Bruyneel, are selected by evolution as guys who will sacrifice integrity for results. That's why the whistle-blowers are so despised by the Omerta. Truth is not the value. The spin is. The book is just another Carmichael, "faster cadence", load of self massaged BS by the sounds of it.

Crankyfeet said:
Yeah cause Ferrari had nothing to do with the winning.

The book is part of the whole spin. Problem is nearly all pro cyclists, including Bruyneel, are selected by evolution as guys who will sacrifice integrity for results. That's why the whistle-blowers are so despised by the Omerta. Truth is not the value. The spin is. The book is just another Carmichael, "faster cadence", load of self massaged BS by the sounds of it.
Have you tried the "faster cadence" BS Cranky? Or are you like Mr Ullrich??

coneofsilence said:
Have you tried the "faster cadence" BS Cranky? Or are you like Mr Ullrich??
You need to be on dope that aids your cardiovascular system before the faster cadence makes sense.

You know. All joking aside. I really do think that the difference between Ulrich and Armstrong mainly boils down to the cadence thingy. Armstrong would accellerate and drop Ulrich like a rock. Ulrich couldn't follow the accellerations. It took him a while to get moving and when he did he usually clawed back big chunks of time on Armstrong. He would always lose by a minute. But that minute was the gap that Armstrong put on him with the acceeleration before Ulrich's diesel kicked in.

Plus, you know, the cadence thing really works. I am freakin serious. Huge amounts of drugs also help.

Crankyfeet said:
You need to be on dope that aids your cardiovascular system before the faster cadence makes sense.
It's funny to see cyclists riding around, spinning like a hampster in an exercise wheel, and going dead slow but convinced they are training like The Lance. It is almost painful to watch them downshift four gears and crawl up a small hill instead of standing up and powering over the little ****er. All the mythical tales of Armstrong's higher cadence have infected the whole rec side of cycling.

Bro Deal said:
It's funny to see cyclists riding around, spinning like a hampster in an exercise wheel, and going dead slow but convinced they are training like The Lance. It is almost painful to watch them downshift four gears and crawl up a small hill instead of standing up and powering over the little ****er. All the mythical tales of Armstrong's higher cadence have infected the whole rec side of cycling.

In the old days, we used cadence training.
Our friends over the water (in U.K.) used call it The Method.
But as Orwell says "this was in a time before history was re-written"

The secret was to maintain a set cadence, in a set gear, for a set period of time.
In our club, Stephen Roche was the man when it came to this type of training.
That's how he got his metronomic pedalling action.

Funny how Mr Carmichael et al were never aware of this before 1999.
(cough).

Jeff Vader said:
You know. All joking aside. I really do think that the difference between Ulrich and Armstrong mainly boils down to the cadence thingy. Armstrong would accellerate and drop Ulrich like a rock. Ulrich couldn't follow the accellerations. It took him a while to get moving and when he did he usually clawed back big chunks of time on Armstrong. He would always lose by a minute. But that minute was the gap that Armstrong put on him with the acceeleration before Ulrich's diesel kicked in.

Plus, you know, the cadence thing really works. I am freakin serious. Huge amounts of drugs also help.

Cadence thingy, as you put it, does work and has done since competitve cycling started.

Hampsten was a fine exponent of it - beautiful pedalling action too.
Hampsten didn't use EPO as I recall.

Bro Deal said:

I see them out on the road all the time.... generally decked out in their USPS or Disco kit (funny how they won't migrate to the Astana wear) on their matching Trek bikes and they spin like mountain bike riders up a 80% gradients...... embarrassing....

limerickman said:
In the old days, we used cadence training.
Our friends over the water (in U.K.) used call it The Method.
But as Orwell says "this was in a time before history was re-written"

The secret was to maintain a set cadence, in a set gear, for a set period of time.
In our club, Stephen Roche was the man when it came to this type of training.
That's how he got his metronomic pedalling action.

Funny how Mr Carmichael et al were never aware of this before 1999.
(cough).
Even my old coach at the Elgin CC taught us to spin gears at our Thursday evening turbo sessions. That was back in the 80s, long before Lance and Carmichael had their "eureka moment". The problem is, for many cycling fans (esp Americans) cycling began with Lance's first Tour win. I bet Johan just wrote that book to annoy us. :)

Rolfrae said:
Even my old coach at the Elgin CC taught us to spin gears at our Thursday evening turbo sessions. That was back in the 80s, long before Lance and Carmichael had their "eureka moment". The problem is, for many cycling fans (esp Americans) cycling began with Lance's first Tour win. I bet Johan just wrote that book to annoy us. :)

Get away?
You mean they had ........cadence training........back in the 1980's.......???.........I don't believe it.
Don't you know that cadence training started in 1999???????????

A trip to the re-education centre is on the cards for you starting with 1,000 lines of "Cadence training was invented by Chris Carmichael"

limerickman said:
Get away?
You mean they had ........cadence training........back in the 1980's.......???.........I don't believe it.

A trip to the re-education centre is on the cards for you starting with 1,000 lines of "Cadence training was invented by Chris Carmichael"

Then there's that old thing about training with your winter fixie down a 9% descent. You sure learn how to pedal quick then.

limerickman said:
Get away?

Yes Lim, as far back as the 80s. I swear, it's true. Can you believe a person can even be that old? :) Don't make me do those lines! I was so busy cadence training I didn't learn how to read and write! (In case you're wondering, my secretary dictated and typed this post.)

Runitout said:
Then there's that old thing about training with your winter fixie down a 9% descent. You sure learn how to pedal quick then.

Without brakes too!!