Holy hell!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by AccordNSX, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

    Well my SH frame won't fit a 26" wheel with the unicylce.com wide hub.
    Spokes hit the frame right above the bearing holders.
    Damn, damn, damn...

    --
    AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

    If I had a signature, would you forge it?
    AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

  2. harper

    harper Guest

    Do the spoke heads hit the frame? If you could mill a slot in the frame
    where the spoke heads hit would it work? How deep would that slot have
    to be? Ideally it would not be a slot, it would be an arc with the same
    radius as the spoke hole circle on the flange. A straight slot, slightly
    wider, would be easier to do.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    JC is the ONLY main man. (except for Ken Looi)

  3. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

  4. jagur

    jagur Guest

    thats only funny to me since i wish i had that wheel back, im going to
    have to build a whole new 26" wheel now because of an unforscene (sp?)
    compatabilaty issue with a similar project.

    at least you got a killer deal on that. i will never guess about
    shipping on a 26" wheel again, that was a costly mistake.

    i would go with the slot idea..its steel so it sould be ok.

    EDIT: how about speading the legs out with a small car jack and then
    bending the bearing holders in with a vise?

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  5. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

    It would appear that both of our problems have stemmed from the same
    source...at least a different "unicycle source." I bought another set of
    Snafu concave pedals in black that mount up to my BE (err... Nimbus)
    cranks and a small black + silver clamp. The unicycle is very
    aesthetically pleasing to me, however some modifications are going to
    have to take place to get that wheel moving. The spokes aren't hitting
    at the hub/flange but slightly higher where the fork angles in towards
    the bearing holders. I'm going to take some measurements and see how
    much I'll have to modify the frame. Any suggestions on a safe distance?

    --
    AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

    If I had a signature, would you forge it?
    AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

  6. harper

    harper Guest

    AccordNSX wrote:
    > *Any suggestions on a safe distance? *

    You are in Florida and I am in Washington. You can't get much safer than
    that.

    --
    harper - TANKED at GASWORKS

    -Greg Harper

    B L U E S H I F T

    JC is the ONLY main man. (except for Ken Looi)

  7. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

    I'll give that a try. I think I know a guy who should be able to touch
    it up for me, if he stills works at the same place.

    --
    AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

    If I had a signature, would you forge it?
    AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

  8. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

  9. jagur

    jagur Guest

    1st the pope, now this.....sad sad sad.

    we just had easter but maybe it will still rise again one fine day.

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*

  10. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    AccordNSX wrote:
    > *Finally got around to setting up a gallery. Here's a picture of my
    > heartbreak. *

    Ouch! Will you be able to repair it by welding the cracked area?

    The gallery comment says it happened before even being ridden. Were you
    trying to fit too big of a bearing or too small of a bearing?

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com

  11. AccordNSX

    AccordNSX Guest

    john_childs wrote:
    > *The gallery comment says it happened before even being ridden. Were
    > you trying to fit too big of a bearing or too small of a bearing? *

    I never had the chance to ride the frame, but Steve had ridden it a few
    times before parting with it.
    A cold weld might be the fix to the sollution. I had intentions of
    placing a 26" wheel with a unicycle.com wide hub but the frame could not
    accomodate such a wheel. The aesthetic holes were drilled fairly close
    to the bearing holder which may have lessened it's chances for survival.

    --
    AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

    If I had a signature, would you forge it?
    AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541

  12. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    Its not a crack fella's, It was put there when that hole was drilled, he
    simply miss aligned the drill and skimmed the inside wall of the
    bearing. It is also no structual problem, there is still the bearing lip
    which adds tons of rigidity and strength, also the metal above it quite
    strong too, those combined when pushed against a bearing, and that fact
    that there is little or no load on the holder in the place of the flaw,
    Hence our problem is no more than an eye sore.

    It's a pretty awesome frame I must add, I plan to put it on a street 24"
    wheel.

    --
    Evan Byrne - Up, And over.
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  13. e39m5

    e39m5 Guest

  14. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  15. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

    Or better yet.....A TryAll Rim (you know, the one with holes?), a pair
    of demolition Pedals (the ones with 4 holes in them.), some custom
    cranks with holes in them, and a post with holes in it?

    That would be cool.

    --
    Evan Byrne - Up, And over.
    Evan Byrne's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9367

  16. Evan Byrne

    Evan Byrne Guest

  17. john_childs

    john_childs Guest

    Evan Byrne wrote:
    > *Does Steve make alot of frames with holes in them? *

    There is only one Holy Hell frame. But Steve did make other frames with
    holes and cutouts in them:
    'artistic CNC cutouts'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Prototype-unicycle-frames/aaj)
    'CNC holes' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq57/bigapple29er2)