Holy Jim Trail here in SOCAL ~VIDEO~

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bill Porter, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last. You
    can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video pages of
    my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.

    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg

    Bill "SoCal Winter is setting in, time to get out the arm warmers" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Tags:

  2. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Bill Porter wrote:
    > I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last. You
    > can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video pages
    > of my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.
    >
    > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg

    Awesome. I love the whole middle, typical SoCal, burnin' through the chapparal section. The wooded
    sections at the top and bottom are fine since they're more technical, but just love that higher
    speed middle section.

    Greg
    --
    "Loose the Mekons, came the cheer"

  3. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, [email protected] (Bill Porter) wrote:

    >I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last. You
    >can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video pages of
    >my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.
    >
    >http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg
    >
    >Bill "SoCal Winter is setting in, time to get out the arm warmers" Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    Oh sh!t! Nice, bill The mind serves properly as a window glass rather than as a reflector, that is,
    the mind should give an immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
    :-]

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

  5. Louisurfer

    Louisurfer Guest

    Good stuff Bill! I liked the wreck in the creek, the music was way fitting for the video.

    Great job!

    L.

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    > Bill Porter wrote:
    > > I put together the video that I shot while riding the Holy Jim trail the weekend before last.
    > > You can get to the video, trail pictures and reviews by checking out the Holy Jim and/or Video
    > > pages of my website, www.mountainbikebill.com or you can go straight to video right here.
    > >
    > > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae5509811283165/fcfa4948.mpg
    > >

    > Awesome. I love the whole middle, typical SoCal, burnin' through the chapparal section. The wooded
    > sections at the top and bottom are fine since they're more technical, but just love that higher
    > speed middle section.

    Looks like a great place for singlespeeding.

    JD

  7. John Morgan

    John Morgan Guest

    "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:

    http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
    5/fcfa4948.mpg

    > Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
    >
    > --
    > -BB-

    Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
    much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge
    steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.

    -John Morgan
    --
    To reply, please remove NOSPAM from the return address.

  8. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    John Morgan wrote:
    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
    >>

    > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
    > 5/fcfa4948.mpg
    >
    >>Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
    >>
    >>--
    >>-BB-
    >

    > Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
    > much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge
    > steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.

    Good point, if the climbs are rocky, rutty, rooty, and steep it just might be entertaining. Rich
    Touart had one amusing video of him trying a steep pitch over and over again.

    Greg

    --
    "Walking under ladders for a living You know we should be running round in pubs and bars We know
    we'll never grow short And we'll never grow tall" - the Mekons

  9. "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    | Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of
    mountain
    | biking... the source of much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails
    | around my area that have huge steep climbs, and I'd
    love
    | to see some footage of people clearing them.

    Because climbing video is mostly boring as fuck.

    Even when it's in a beautiful locale it can get boring if used too much:

    www.paradigmhosting.net/video/goose2.mpg

    --
    Pete Fagerlin

    http://www.petefagerlin.com

  10. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 05 Dec 2002 17:40:17 GMT, John Morgan wrote:

    > Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
    > much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge
    > steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.

    The video tends to flatten out the climb; consequently a grueling climb tends to look like a
    slow ride.

  11. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
    > > >

    > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
    > 5/fcfa4948.mpg
    > >
    > > Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
    > >
    > > --
    > > -BB-
    >
    > Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source of
    > much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have huge
    > steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.
    >
    > -John Morgan

    For this particluar ride, it would have been, hey look at that rock. Yep that rock is still there.
    hey look he is past that rock. hey look another rock... And while the sound of ones lungs working at
    or above thier anaerobic threshold might be comical at first, it gets old after 15 seconds or so. I
    also have a habit of looking slightly down while grunting up the hills which makes for some great
    scenery shots ;-> I think I'll put together a most painful climbs clip someday. It will most likely
    be rated R due to foul language :)

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "John Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > On Tue, 03 Dec 2002 05:57:58 GMT, Bill Porter wrote:
    > > > >

    > > http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid41/p4f11680a09d575005ae550981128316
    > > 5/fcfa4948.mpg
    > > >
    > > > Good stuff. Musta been a long ride up before that, though!
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > -BB-
    > >
    > > Yeah. I want to know why these videos never show the true form of mountain biking... the source
    > > of much pain and much satisfaction... the climbs. I know several trails around my area that have
    > > huge steep climbs, and I'd love to see some footage of people clearing them.
    > >
    > > -John Morgan
    >
    > For this particluar ride, it would have been, hey look at that rock. Yep that rock is still there.
    > hey look he is past that rock. hey look another rock... And while the sound of ones lungs working
    > at or above thier anaerobic threshold might be comical at first, it gets old after 15 seconds or
    > so. I also have a habit of looking slightly down while grunting up the hills which makes for some
    > great scenery shots ;-> I think I'll put together a most painful climbs clip someday. It will most
    > likely be rated R due to foul language :)
    >
    > Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

    You could rig up one of those stupid camera rigs they use on "Fear Factor", you know the big
    elephant trunk on a helmet that holds a camera out in front of the contestant, facing them. I think
    half the people fail to complete the challenges due to having that thing straped to their head. All
    for a really bad angle that they use maybe 5 seconds per show.
    --
    _________________________

  13. Miles Todd

    Miles Todd Guest

    Chris Phillipo wrote:

    >You could rig up one of those stupid camera rigs they use on "Fear Factor", you know the big
    >elephant trunk on a helmet that holds a camera out in front of the contestant, facing them. I think
    >half the people fail to complete the challenges due to having that thing straped to their head. All
    >for a really bad angle that they use maybe 5 seconds per show.

    I saw a Peter Gabriel video where he used a setup kinda like that- he had on a hard hat that had a
    springy arm on which the small camera was located, facing back at him. The flexibility of the
    structure was the inportant part- he would nod his head a little bit and send the camera bobbing
    wildly back and forth. The wide-angle lens would make the image of his face shrink and expand
    enormously with every bob of his head. A setup like that, as Bill is climbing, say, San Juan, would
    be so comic...

    Miles

  14. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On Fri, 6 Dec 2002 13:18:56 -0400, Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You could rig up one of those stupid camera rigs they use on "Fear Factor", you know the big
    >elephant trunk on a helmet that holds a camera out in front of the contestant, facing them. I think
    >half the people fail to complete the challenges due to having that thing straped to their head. All
    >for a really bad angle that they use maybe 5 seconds per show.

    I have been tinkering with just such a thing and your right is very stupid looking. Not to mention
    you could not ride a trail with the thing since it would surely get caught on something and rip your
    neck apart. Since I have already built most of the thing I'll probably do some "test" footage on a
    wide open trail somewhere just to see it to completion.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  15. Louisurfer

    Louisurfer Guest

    Bill,

    When you bought your camera, did you buy the 380 or 480 line resolution camera?

    Does it make a big difference which for mpg purposes?

    Louis

  16. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On 10 Dec 2002 22:00:55 -0800, [email protected] (louisurfer) wrote:

    >Bill,
    >
    >When you bought your camera, did you buy the 380 or 480 line resolution camera?
    >
    >Does it make a big difference which for mpg purposes?
    >
    >Louis

    Actually I forgot. The company only offered one camera when I bought my system. I sent them an email
    to find out. But either way, I am pretty sure my primary quality limitations are:
    A) My camcorder is 8mm. The stuff would look better when I go to minDV
    B) My capture card (Not all that great). This would be moot if I went to miniDV/firewire transfer.

    Michael Paul has a 480line lipstick camera (not from helmetcamera.com) and I have plugged his
    camera into my camcorder with nearly identical end results. So either I have a 480line camera as
    well or it doen't make much difference when you are running into an 8mm camcorder. We did not plug
    my lipstick camera into his miniDV and compare the quality but I am sure you'll get better going
    into the miniDV.

    As far as mpg purposes goes, The better quality you have to start with, the better it will look once
    you have compressed/streamed it down for web posting.

    I'll let you know once I find out which one I have.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  17. Louisurfer

    Louisurfer Guest

    Great thanks! Please post when you find out.

    I appreciate the info.

    Louis

  18. Bill Porter

    Bill Porter Guest

    On 12 Dec 2002 10:39:55 -0800, [email protected] (louisurfer) wrote:

    >Great thanks! Please post when you find out.
    >
    >I appreciate the info.
    >
    >Louis

    I got it figured out. I have the 380 line model.

    Bill Porter www.mountainbikebill.com

  19. Louisurfer

    Louisurfer Guest

    Ah! Thanks!

    I will be picking one up, but only after making sure it'll work with my Canon.

    Louis