Holy shatz! Cop stops bicycle!

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:33:49 +0800, Bernd Felsche
<[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

>If it becomes widely known, then more motorists might start to
>respect cyclists on the road instead of thinking of them as
>self-righteous, blithering idiots.

This is a myth. It's not as amusing hearing it from a person who
doesn't ride, though.

Chris B. <[email protected]> writes:

>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:33:49 +0800, Bernd Felsche
><[email protected]> wrote:

>[...]

>>If it becomes widely known, then more motorists might start to
>>respect cyclists on the road instead of thinking of them as
>>self-righteous, blithering idiots.

>This is a myth. It's not as amusing hearing it from a person who
>doesn't ride, though.

I don't ride?

Your comments only add weight to the perceptio nof cyclists being
self-righteous, blithering idiots.

*PLONK*
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!

[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote:

> You're 100% right about the first Zoot but 100% wrong on the second. A dog,
> coon, or skunk that tries to dart through traffic sometimes becomes road pizza.
> Do you honestly think that all the road killed animals you see were struck by
> drivers that could have avoided them if only they could "control their scuds"?

Okay, what if it's neither a beastie nor an adult cyclist, but rather
a young child? How about an adult autistic? Or a runaway lawnmower?

Drivers who don't operate their vehicles in such a way as to be able
to deal with these situations-- and no, making "road pizza" is not
dealing with them-- are every bit as criminally antisocial as somebody
shooting blindly into a crowd.

> *IF* (notice the emphasis) as the poster postulates a cyclist darts out in a
> nonforseeable manner and a driver trying to avoid him crashes, it's the
> cyclist's fault not the driver's.

The collision may be the fault of the cyclist, but any serious injury
or property damage resulting from it is the fault of the motorist. It
just has to be; the cyclist did not bring that risk to the
interaction.

The law does not uphold the ethical lines of responsibility when it
comes to motor vehicles-- to do so would have a chilling effect on
their gratuitous operation-- but just because the law is wrong in
this, does not make it right to divert motorists' responsibilities to
their victims.

Chalo Colina

wrote:

>Geese misuse the road out of ignorance and without malice. Too many
>cyclists misuse the road knowingly and with malice. Perhaps that explains
>why some motorists behave more benignly towards geese than towards
>cyclists.

That's odd. I know scores of cyclists and weekly I see hundreds of cyclists I
don't know out riding their bikes. I've seen some pretty foolish riding but I
can't recall a single instance, *some* Critical Mass participants aside, of any
intentional and malicious misuse of the road.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

wrote:

>The driver alone is responsible for controlling their vehicle.
>You can not say anything to dissuade me from that conviction.

You and I have had this discussion before so I know that trying to convince you
that you're wrong is futile. I was merely pointing out the lunacy of your
position on the subject. I really didn't have any hope that you'd finally
recognize it's lunacy.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:04:29 +0800, Bernd Felsche
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Chris B. <[email protected]> writes:
>
>>On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 08:33:49 +0800, Bernd Felsche
>><[email protected]> wrote:

>>[...]

>>>If it becomes widely known, then more motorists might start to
>>>respect cyclists on the road instead of thinking of them as
>>>self-righteous, blithering idiots.

>>This is a myth. It's not as amusing hearing it from a person who
>>doesn't ride, though.

>I don't ride?
>
>Your comments only add weight to the perceptio nof cyclists being
>self-righteous, blithering idiots.

Oh the incredible irony. Still, I greatly appreciate you giving me
the laugh I was looking for (and an Australian C.I.S. sheep to boot)!

>*PLONK*

Funnier still!

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:37:53 -0500, Kevan Smith
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:32:45 GMT, keydates <[email protected]>
>from cyclingforums.com wrote:
>
>>On a slightly different topic, how do traffic lights work?

>In a lot of different ways, none very bicycle oriented
>
>If you are looking for ways to reduce your wait or make them all while they
>are green, then the key is repetition. Ride the same routes each time and over
>a period of a few weeks you will learn the speeds you need to ride between
>various lights. I play it like a game now. My goal is to ride crosstown on my
>fixie without putting a foot down -- trackstands don't count. In other words,
>go crosstown making all the lights and not stopping. It's not an impossible
>goal, I don't think.

I agree completely...I commuted via a major thoroughfare in San Diego
(twelve miles one way) for over eight years and "learned the lights".
During my 25 minute ride rarely did I have to stop.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Daniel J. Stern" <[email protected]> writes:

> Too many
> cyclists misuse the road knowingly and with malice.

You're certainly fast on the draw when it comes to hyberbole.

Malice is often more in the eye of the beholder than in
the beholden.

Anyhow, mandatory licensing & registration of bicycles is a
non-starter, so you might as well go back to picking wings
off of flies, or whatever it is you do to kill time.