Holy shatz! Cop stops bicycle!

"tk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> > AMEN to that. It would be espacially nice (for me
> > anyways) if they would
> do this to
> > these idiot kids who have no clue of and/or disregard
> > the rules of the
> road.
>
> Not familiar with the 4th amendment are we?

And the 4th amendment would have what to do with ticketing
some idiot kid (or holding his parents responsible) when he
breaks the law?

--
Paul

"Timothy J. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]
> .umich.edu>, Daniel J. Stern <[email protected]> wrote:
> > There's no law
> > requiring
> > registration of
> > bicycles or
> > carrying an
> > operator's license
> > -- or, for that
> > matter, any form
> > of identification
> > at all -- while
> > riding one. Should
> > be, but isn't. So
> > what if the cop
> > stops someone who
> > hasn't got ID?
> > What, exactly, can
> > the cop do?
>
> Presumably the same thing the cop can do when arresting
> someone for jaywalking or other illegal activity, and that
> person doesn't have ID.

They can lock them up until they identify themselves, like
the local PD here is doing with some idiot protesters who
felt they had the right to block a highway last week.

See: http://tinyurl.com/28737

--
Paul

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 06:41:13 GMT, [email protected]
(Brent P) wrote:

>I've read of these assinine crackdowns many times. A
>bicyclist does a track stand or simply rolls at 1 inch per
>hour to prevent falling and the cops ticket for not doing a
>complete stop. I've rarely heard of motorists being so
>ticketed, but for bicyclists it seems to be a
>characteristic of every 'crackdown'.

This has been applied to motorcyclists also and seems to be
an "attitude" issue with cops.

Those that are knowlegable will usually honor those that can
maintain balance at a stop.

Learned this from a CHP officer that conducted a motorcycle
safety course i took years ago. Motorcyclists are 'required'
to put one foot down for a STOP.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 01:20:44 GMT, Arif Khokar <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Daniel T. wrote:
>
>> The fact is, bicyclists don't have to obey the same
>> traffic laws as cars,
>
>That's fiction, not fact.
>
>> otherwise they would be getting pulled over and fined.
>
>Which has nothing to do with it. Just because a law isn't
>enforced doesn't mean that the law doesn't exist. Cyclists
>are supposed to follow the rules of the road just like a
>driver does.

I have lived in California and currently in
Washington...both states require adherance to motor vehicle
laws by cyclists and both states actively enforce these
laws. Some specific laws relating to cycling vary from state-to-
state...ie. where you can and cannot ride.

People get stopped routinely for running traffic lights/stop
signs, failure to yield to pedestrians/etc. People have evne
been stopped and prosecuted for DUI while riding bicyles,
with the same penalties.

>I have lived in California and currently in
>Washington...both states require adherance to motor vehicle
>laws by cyclists and both states actively enforce these
>laws. Some specific laws relating to cycling vary from state-to-
>state...ie. where you can and cannot ride.
>
>People get stopped routinely for running traffic
>lights/stop signs, failure to yield to pedestrians/etc.
>People have evne been stopped and prosecuted for DUI while
>riding bicyles, with the same penalties.

Wow, Mr. Stern seems to believe that such prosecution is
impossible because cyclists don't have licenses, or
insurance... Well Mr. Stern what do you say to this?

Tom Keats wrote in part:

<< Incidentally, I've never seen a cyclist "ram" through a
/busy/ intersection against the light. But then, I've never
seen anyone jump through between boxcars of a fast moving
train, either. >>

Nicely put, Tom.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004, Daniel T. wrote:

> >I have lived in California and currently in
> >Washington...both states require adherance to motor
> >vehicle laws by cyclists and both states actively enforce
> >these laws. Some specific laws relating to cycling vary
> >from state-to-state...ie. where you can and cannot ride.
> >People get stopped routinely for running traffic
> >lights/stop signs, failure to yield to pedestrians/etc.
> >People have evne been stopped and prosecuted for DUI
> >while riding bicyles, with the same penalties.

> Wow, Mr. Stern seems to believe that such prosecution is
> impossible because cyclists don't have licenses, or
> insurance... Well Mr. Stern what do you say to this?

I say "Terrific!"

-Stern

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Hunrobe) wrote in part:

> I think there are two main reasons that there aren't more
> documented cases of a cyclist causing a crash. First,
> unless the cop *sees* it he's not going to list the
> cyclist on the face of the report and most stats are
> gathered from the face of the report. Second, in
> comparison to motor vehicle traffic there really aren't
> that many cyclists on the road. It's rather like, how many
> crashes has anyone heard of that were caused by UPS
> delivery trucks? Not that many I'd wager and it's *not*
> because all UPS drivers are careful conscientious drivers
> that always obey the traffic laws.

Well, the original poster (Daniel Stern) seems to believe
cyclists and our bicycles should be subject to similar
bureaucratic requirements as drivers in re: licensing,
registration and insurance, in order to facilitate traffic
law enforcement.

As I understand his posts, he refers to some sort of
major mayhem cyclists wreak on motor vehicles, to support
his position.

That last part just sounds a little topsy-turvy to me. Or at
least, over-stated. I'm sure Mr. Stern would get his wish as
soon as bicycles & riders routinely do to cars & drivers,
what cars & drivers can currently do to bicycles & riders.
In the meantime, as other posters have attested, traffic law
enforcement with cyclists is already alive and well. Alive,
anyway. Heck, in the original post
Mr. Stern himself gives an account of his eyewitnessing a
cyclist getting pulled-over and chewed-out.

Besides, even I - a liberal, see such bureaucratic bloat as
a waste of focus and resources that would be better spent on
other, more important things. Gee, maybe the original poster
is a fellow liberal, since he appears to actually /want/
bureaucratic bloat? :)

But I do think having third party liability insurance is
a good idea. Fortunately, as you no doubt know, but I'm
just saying it for the benefit of other readers who might
be interested: it's available via membership in some
cycling clubs.

cheers, Tom