Home made BRIGHT headlight

the cyclops

Jul 25, 2010
This is my home made headlight/flashlight mount.It cost me $3.00 for the PVC T-connectors and nipple connector at lowes home improvement and $3.00 for the 9 LED metal flashlight at big-lots(an outlet store)...Of course it can be painted to match your bike(Although I think Im gonna leave mine white cuz Im lazy)...It simply snaps on to the flashlight as shown(will fit a variety of size flashlights,and if it is too big,simply wrap a little black electrical tape around the flashlight to add some girth) and then snaps on to the front bars.Again if it is to large,add a little tape.Can be positioned above the bars or under the bars,depending on your preferance.Very cheap, and nice fix to the cheap lights available on the market,more sturdy and much brighter...Feedback please!!!

and mounted...And on 2nd thought...
1. I will either paint,use a sharpie or nail polish to color the mount black...
2. Definately use at least 1 layer of black tape on the bars to discourage any scratching that might occur...

I like the use of easily available materials, but it's a bit big and clunky for me. Especially when you can get a Twofish Lockblock for $7 (Jenson sells a set of 3 for $13). The Twofish is smaller and much more adjustable. In a pinch, I've used a few rubber bands to hold a small flashlight to the handlebar. I currently have a Magicshine 900 from Geomangear which is a huge increase in brightness over standard flashlights or cheap bike lights.

Found this video from 2008 detailing the construction like yours:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edikfIC-RJU"]YouTube - Cheap Bastards Bike Light Mount[/ame]

Yup,That is where I got it from!!! Cant actually believe I found all of the materials,lol...but It is not klunky at all,but yes it is big.But what is the jensen twoblock thing you refered to?

OK,I see what it is now,and they are nice.The funny thing is,I "googled" several things looking for something like that and couldn't find,so I made my own...I believe I will add another to the other side for a dual headlight,lol...Any suggestions for a good,cheap tail light?

Scotty_Dog said:
I just looked closer, and the Jenson product is actually (2) lockblocks for a u-lock and (1) lockblock for a flashlight: TWOFISH LOCK BLOCKS at JensonUSA.com

Single lockblock here: Twofish LockBlocks Flashlight Holder / Bike Mount
Those are nice,and not much more expensive than what I was able to make and are adjustable/easily removable.Im happy w/what I made honestly(especially if I can paint them correctly),but I didnt even know those existed and are def. look like they are worth the money.

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!....I need a MUCH brighter light:eek::eek::eek::eek: Mount works excellent but the light,not so much...Gona invest lil more moolah in a brighter light.Any suggestions for a nice bright hand held? And what should I be looking for exactly in a flashlight for what I use it for? I mean I have been reading in the last hour or so,and seems that maybe LED isnt the way to go for what I am using it for? Maybe halogen,krypton or CREE(not sure what CREE is but I have seen them out there...) Thanks in advance...

the cyclops said:
UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!....I need a MUCH brighter light:eek::eek::eek::eek: Mount works excellent but the light,not so much...Gona invest lil more moolah in a brighter light.Any suggestions for a nice bright hand held? And what should I be looking for exactly in a flashlight for what I use it for? I mean I have been reading in the last hour or so,and seems that maybe LED isnt the way to go for what I am using it for? Maybe halogen,krypton or CREE(not sure what CREE is but I have seen them out there...) Thanks in advance...

Cree is an LED manufactuer. Cree LED's are popular with a lot of light manufacturers.

LED is the only way to go. I recommend the Magicshine 900 bike light that I provided a link to in my first post above. You can find the light for a bit cheaper elsewhere on the net, but Geomangear ships quick and has great customer service.

the cyclops said:
This is my home made headlight/flashlight mount.

You could probably drill a small hole in the mount and add a screw to "snug" up against the handlebars. Could keep it from slipping. Just a thought. BTW, this whole idea makes alot of sense....ingenuity!!!

cycleheimer said:
You could probably drill a small hole in the mount and add a screw to "snug" up against the handlebars. Could keep it from slipping. Just a thought. BTW, this whole idea makes alot of sense....ingenuity!!!
Well I cant take credit for the idea,only the searching and finding of the parts...But it doe not need a screw at all,with a single layer of tape(for friction)this thing is ROCK SOLID!!! I mean I have no doubt I could do anything,and it not flex or move.

234 lumens total,Im able to ride at full commuting speeds in the darkest non lite streets imaginable and see EVERYTHING.Im lighting up signs,cars and house from way out.Love this setup,and for less than $45 total,I think I did well.