Home Made Isotonic Drinks

bikerjoe

Oct 24, 2002
How many of you make your own Isotonic drinks during the hot weather, or do you just go and use the likes of Isostar, Powerbar etc?

For the ones who make there own, what do you use? Some sugar and pinch of salt? or just some sugar?

bikerjoe said:
How many of you make your own Isotonic drinks during the hot weather, or do you just go and use the likes of Isostar, Powerbar etc?

For the ones who make there own, what do you use? Some sugar and pinch of salt? or just some sugar?
My husband tried making an isotonic drink using a recipe he found on a site associated with the UK institute of sport (or whatever it is called). It was foul. If I recall correctly, it was a combination of salt and sugar and water.

We have had a lot of success with diluting fruit juice, however, here in Australia we have a brand of apple juice which naturally contains 13% sugar and we dilute this 50/50 with water to give us a 6.5% sugar concentration. We haven't actually tried adding salt to the juice but I guess if you have a fruit juice which is 6-8% sugar or can be diluted to that level, you could try adding salt and see how it tastes.

I made my own for a sports day.

Get 200ml of squash
800ml of water
a pinch of salt
a teaspoon of sugar.

Mix them together - and cool down (if nessacary)

Yes, i use it too as it i too necessary in summer season for balancing minerals.