Home Made Soy Yogurt ?

Hip Mama

Guest
Can I make my own soy yogurt out of soy milk? I have made my own yogurt in the past but w/ regular
cow's milk, since DD has been diagnosed w/ a dairy allergy I have been buying her soy milk and
yogurt, she loves both but the soy yogurt is very costly .... so .. I'm wondering if I can make it
myself and if the process is the same for cow's
milk. Any ideas? Thanks! ~Kat

Hip Mama wrote:

Any ideas?
> Thanks! ~Kat

I haven't tried, but try on rec.food.veg.cooking. I'd gamble my life that someone there has tried
it. blacksalt

"kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hip Mama wrote:
> >
> Any ideas?
> > Thanks! ~Kat
>
> I haven't tried, but try on rec.food.veg.cooking. I'd gamble my life that someone there has tried
> it. blacksalt

Thank you ... I just posted there :) ~Kat

In article <[email protected]>,
"Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Can I make my own soy yogurt out of soy milk? I have made my own yogurt in the past but w/ regular
> cow's milk, since DD has been diagnosed w/ a dairy allergy I have been buying her soy milk and
> yogurt, she loves both but the soy yogurt is very costly .... so .. I'm wondering if I can make it
> myself and if the process is the same for cow's
> milk. Any ideas? Thanks!

The following is from the University of Illinois. The recipe calls for using yogurt as the starter,
but I image the yogurt starter commonly available at health food stores will work also; IIRC, the
Solgar brand does not contain dairy. The recipe seems to basically be the same as for dairy yogurt:

<http://web.aces.uiuc.edu/faq/faq.pdl?project_id=1&faq_id=687>

Soy Yogurt

Ingredients:

4 cups soymilk either commercial or home made soy milk by INTSOY method (see recipe for soymilk) 2
to 3 tablespoons plain commercial yogurt (Dannon Plain Yogurt, etc) 5 tablespoons cane sugar 1
teaspoon vanilla flavor or other flavor as desired

Optional: Fruit preserves

Method:

1. Heat the pasteurized soy milk to 194oF (90oC) .

2. Add sugar to the heated soymilk base and keep the temperature at 194oF (90oC), heating only long
enough to dissolve the sugar. Add flavor.

3. Cool the milk to 122oF (50oC). Add the commercial yogurt, gently mix the contents thoroughly and
avoid the formation of foam. Pour the milk into cups and then seal with a cap.

4. Immediately place the cups into an incubator, or an oven at 106oF (41oC) for approximately 5 hr.
After 4-1/2 hr of incubation, closely monitor the pH of the yogurt. When the pH reaches 4.3 or
desired sourness, transfer the yogurt to a refrigerator at 36oF (2oC).

5. After 12 hr refrigeration, the yogurt can be served.

Option: To make yogurt with fruit on bottom, place 2 to 3 teaspoons fruit preserve into the bottom
of each of the yogurt cups. Gently fill the mixture from step 3 into yogurt cups to near the top
and then seal with a cap. Soy yogurt can be made by a yogurt maker following the instruction.

--
to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net" please mail OT responses only

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:48:03 -0500, "Hip Mama" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can I make my own soy yogurt out of soy milk? I have made my own yogurt in the past but w/ regular
>cow's milk, since DD has been diagnosed w/ a dairy allergy I have been buying her soy milk and
>yogurt, she loves both but the soy yogurt is very costly .... so .. I'm wondering if I can make it
>myself and if the process is the same for cow's
>milk. Any ideas?

you can make kefir from it nut milk rice milk too. tastes better and is better for you are easier to
make. you just put the kefir grains in the milk and leave it for a day or two. the only hard part is
finding the kefir grains.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See http://www.knight-
toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.