home-made tires

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> [email protected] wrote:

>>> Mulch (snow, ice, and just water) is on the track and furnishes water
>>> that is the prime lubricant for the rest of the train after the
>>> locomotive has passed. It is up to the driver to assess the lubricity
>>> of the rails.
>>>
>>> Well ABS is better than noting but it is too little too late. RR
>>> wheels do not gradually begin to squeal like rubber tires as they
>>> begin to slip, but cross a traction threshold that causes the wheel to
>>> slip, be that on wet or dry rails. At that moment ABS cuts in but by
>>> that time there is already a skid mark (molten steel) on the wheel
>>> that can be heard when riding in high speed trains on good track (so
>>> the train isn't rumbling already). Subsequent wear does not reduce
>>> the effect which only becomes greater with repeated wheel rotations
>>> that increase the flat spot, as small as it is. For that reason,
>>> braking must be carefully controlled to remain below the critical
>>> threshold so ABS doesn't ever cut in.
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2z6zua
>>>
>>> I'm not convinced that stopping distances are designed around clean
>>> dry rails and that there is no margin. Wet rails have always made
>>> starting and stopping distances greater. ABS may reduce flat wheel
>>> generation but it cannot prevent it.
>>>
>>> Jobst Brandt

>> flat spots are not exclusive to locked wheels, although a locked wheel
>> will indeed cause one. they can be caused by debris or even defects in
>> the steel "tire" or the way it was fitted. once a flat spot exists, it
>> grows by hammering each time the wheel rotates.
>>
>> also, wheel slippage is not exclusive to braking. any cornering, since
>> the axles are solid, is accompanied by differential slippage, and that can
>> be substantial. on sharp bends, sometimes one of the rails is greased to
>> mitigate [the screeching] noise and abrasion.

> The wheels are conic sections, so that at the correct lateral position,
> there is _no_ slippage during cornering when that equilibrium position has
> been reached.
> See:
> http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/scrapheap2002/challenges/RailRoadRacer/Science.html
> and:
> http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/whel_faq.html
> Kerry

for large radius curves in open country, that's right, but for short
radii, such as in urban areas where land is restricted, equilibrium is
exceeded and wheels squeal. hence the use of greasers.

http://www.xl-lubricants.com/rail_curve.htm

"jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Kerry Montgomery wrote:
>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> flat spots are not exclusive to locked wheels, although a locked wheel
>>> will indeed cause one. they can be caused by debris or even defects in
>>> the steel "tire" or the way it was fitted. once a flat spot exists, it
>>> grows by hammering each time the wheel rotates.
>>>
>>> also, wheel slippage is not exclusive to braking. any cornering, since
>>> the axles are solid, is accompanied by differential slippage, and that
>>> can be substantial. on sharp bends, sometimes one of the rails is
>>> greased to mitigate [the screeching] noise and abrasion.

>> The wheels are conic sections, so that at the correct lateral position,
>> there is _no_ slippage during cornering when that equilibrium position
>> has been reached.
>> See:
>> http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/scrapheap2002/challenges/RailRoadRacer/Science.html
>> and:
>> http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/whel_faq.html
>> Kerry
>>

> for large radius curves in open country, that's right, but for short
> radii, such as in urban areas where land is restricted, equilibrium is
> exceeded and wheels squeal. hence the use of greasers.
>
> http://www.xl-lubricants.com/rail_curve.htm

I was replying to your statement that "any cornering, since the axles are
solid, is accompanied by differential slippage", in particular the word
"any".
Both the references in my previous reply state that squealing is caused by
the flange of the wheel contacting the rail, and say nothing about
differential slippage causing squeal. Your reference even titles the
product "Rail Sidewear Inhibitor". Sidewear would not be caused by
differential slippage, but by the flanges contacting the rail.
Kerry

Kerry Montgomery wrote:
> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Kerry Montgomery wrote:
>>> "jim beam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> The wheels are conic sections, so that at the correct lateral position,
>>> there is _no_ slippage during cornering when that equilibrium position
>>> has been reached.
>>> See:
>>> http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/scrapheap2002/challenges/RailRoadRacer/Science.html
>>> and:
>>> http://www.spikesys.com/Trains/whel_faq.html
>>> Kerry
>>>

>> for large radius curves in open country, that's right, but for short
>> radii, such as in urban areas where land is restricted, equilibrium is
>> exceeded and wheels squeal. hence the use of greasers.
>>
>> http://www.xl-lubricants.com/rail_curve.htm

> I was replying to your statement that "any cornering, since the axles are
> solid, is accompanied by differential slippage", in particular the word
> "any".

all right, i'll qualify my statement: "any non-equilibrium cornering, as
caused by wheel or rail profile wear, even on gentle curves that would
otherwise be within flange contact, since..."

> Both the references in my previous reply state that squealing is caused by
> the flange of the wheel contacting the rail, and say nothing about
> differential slippage causing squeal. Your reference even titles the
> product "Rail Sidewear Inhibitor". Sidewear would not be caused by
> differential slippage, but by the flanges contacting the rail.
> Kerry

you're right, that's the primary wear point. but in tighter curves,
once the flange is up against the side, the face of the rail sees
slippage too. the greaser is used for both situations.

> > You mentioned that once before and it's an interesting problem. I know
> > this wanders far afield but what would you suggest?
> > [er, for cable car emergency, not bicycle rims at steep grade]

> I'd connect the big red lever to a 18" square plate with bus tire
> tread on its underside and press it against the road to create a huge
> skid mark. These cable cars are not as heavy as buses that substitute
> when the cable is out of service.

Well, since the city hasn't gone for your flintstones idea, would it
be possible to use an eddy current brake? It certainly has more
bling. The comp.risks article states:

>On trains which are certified to travel
>at over 160 kph, brakes acting directly on the rails are required. There are
>generally two kinds.

I guess the wedge is not popular outside of SF.

>Eddy-current brakes consist of electromagnets which
>hover some millimeters above the rail. The moving electromagnet produces an
>eddy current in the rail, which produces a force on the electromagnet, and
>thereby on the trainset to which it is attached, in the opposite direction
>to that of travel. Eddy-current brakes are used on very-high-speed trains to
>brake from high speeds, and they are relatively ineffective at lower speeds.

> Beyond that, the run-aways occur mainly on the Hyde street hill and

So it would depend how fast the runaway cable cars are going at the
bottom of Hyde street.

[email protected] wrote:
>>> You mentioned that once before and it's an interesting problem. I
>>> know this wanders far afield but what would you suggest?
>>> [er, for cable car emergency, not bicycle rims at steep grade]

>> I'd connect the big red lever to a 18" square plate with bus tire
>> tread on its underside and press it against the road to create a huge
>> skid mark. These cable cars are not as heavy as buses that
>> substitute when the cable is out of service.

> Well, since the city hasn't gone for your flintstones idea, would it
> be possible to use an eddy current brake? It certainly has more
> bling.

They're popular on some roller coasters to bleed off speed before unload.

--
Phil