Home made wax based chain lube...suggestions?, recipe?

Sorry if this has been hashed over before, I've only just recently found the group.
I've been a dedicated year round bicycle commuter for decades and have recently made the switch to
disc brakes. I've always used synthetic motor oil on my chains (I clean them in an ultrasonic
cleaner every few weeks then soak them in it over night) with great success but my bike shop
recommended some very expensive wax based stuff which they say won't fling off and contaminate the
disc and pad. I trust these folks completely, but at the same time don't like the idea of spending
12 bucks for a dinky little bottle of lube. I understand the idea behind a chain wax and am hoping
that someone has formulated a home recipe. A Google search found some pretty strange stuff but no
bike lubes.
Thanks for any recommendations.

[email protected] wrote:
> Sorry if this has been hashed over before, I've only just recently found the group.
> I've been a dedicated year round bicycle commuter for decades and have recently made the switch to
> disc brakes. I've always used synthetic motor oil on my chains (I clean them in an ultrasonic
> cleaner every few weeks then soak them in it over night) with great success but my bike shop
> recommended some very expensive wax based stuff which they say won't fling off and contaminate the
> disc and pad. I trust these folks completely, but at the same time don't like the idea of spending
> 12 bucks for a dinky little bottle of lube. I understand the idea behind a chain wax and am hoping
> that someone has formulated a home recipe. A Google search found some pretty strange stuff but no
> bike lubes.
> Thanks for any recommendations.

On my disk brake bikes, the rotor and pads are on the opposite side of
the wheel from the cogset (and chain). What wild motions are you going
through to fling oil *across* your rear hub? I have never had any
problem with straight motor oil on the chains of either of my bikes
with disk brakes. But I wipe off the excess fairly well, and get no
"flinging" of chain lube anywhere. I'd say you need to change shops.

E.P.

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 23:14:32 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

> I've always used synthetic motor oil on my chains (I clean them in an ultrasonic
>cleaner every few weeks then soak them in it over night) with great success

If that works, don't change.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

[email protected] wrote:
> Sorry if this has been hashed over before

> I've always used syn thetic motor oil on my chains (I clean them in an ultrasonic
> cleaner every few weeks then soak them in it over night) with great success but my bike shop
> recommended some very expensive wax based stuff which they say won't fling off and contaminate th e
> disc and pad. I trust these folks completely, but at the same time don't like the idea of spending
> 12 bucks for a dinky little bottle of lube.

<http://tinyurl.com/e6pby>

Read it and weep.

Forget the wax, stick with what you are doing. And if you use SRAM
chains, when new, use them straight from the package, and don't clean
off the very expensive Gleitmo lubricant they use.

Keep reading this NG and its ever-lovable FAQ and soon you will be
chucking your disc brakes, along with the bike shop too.

> I understand the idea behind a chain wax and am hoping
> that someone has formulated a home recipe.

Here's my method:

PARAFFIN LUBRICATION OF A BIKE CHAIN BY THE TORCH METHOD

ADVANTAGES: All the advantages of waxing by the usual double boiler
method (clean chain, clean bike, very long lasting chain and
sprockets); Considerable time savings over both liquid lubricants and
hot-dip wax methods; No removal of the chain from the bike, so fewer
worries about broken chains.

POSSIBLE DISADVANTAGES: I don't ride enough in very muddy/gritty
off-road situations to evaluate this method. It may work, it may not.

Some have said waxed chains don't handle rain well. I haven't found
this to be the case _since I began adding 5% motor oil_. But I ride
mostly in dry weather. Your mileage may vary.

This method is not convenient for a long tour.

EQUIPMENT: Small propane torch or equivalent. (Flexible torch head or
hose extension is handy but not necessary.) Thin sheet metal about 12"
square. Wax with about 5% motor oil, in solid form, as described
below. Bike repair stand is very helpful but not absolutely necessary.
Old newspaper to protect the floor. Paper towels.

PREPARATION OF EQUIPMENT:

Fold or bend one end of the sheet metal so it curls all along its
length, forming a long hook. Hook this over your chainstay. It should
hang between the lower strand of chain and the tire, protecting the
tire and chainstay from heat.

If you don't already have a pot of wax with oil blended, melt some
grocery store canning paraffin, blend in about 5% oil, and let it
freeze. Chip out a piece a couple inches square, to use as a "crayon".
(When melting the paraffin, many people say it's not safe to do it any
way but in a double boiler, due to risk of fire. I've never used a
double boiler. I've always used either a gas stove or a portable
Coleman camping stove. I've had no problems, but you make your own
decisions.)

Hang the bike if possible. Hang the sheet metal from the chainstay.
Spread the newspaper on the floor to catch any drips and crumbs, and
light the torch on a low flame (perhaps 1 inch long).

PROCEDURE:

Run the torch along the bottom strand of chain, taking care where you
direct the flame. This should take only 5 seconds or so; you don't
need to get the chain very warm.

Immediately "crayon" the wax onto the warm chain. The warmth will
allow the wax particles to stick. At this point, they will not really
melt.

Now use the torch a bit more slowly, passing it along each link until
the wax visibly melts and flows into the chain's cavities. Remember
the objective is to get the wax between the side plates, into the
roller, etc.

Back pedal to expose the next 10" of chain and repeat the above.
Continue until the entire chain is done.

Now take a handful of paper towels and rub the excess wax off the
chain. Try to polish off the sideplates, including the inner
sideplates. Lubrication of any type is unnecessary here, and simply
collects dirt.

Gather up the newspapers, put your tools away, and ride.

Repeat when your chain first begins squeaking. For me, this is usually
at least 500 miles. Note, you'll reach that sooner than you think,
because you'll be out riding when you would have been removing,
soaking, drying, oiling, wiping, and re-installing your chain, not to
mention cleaning black gunk off your bike!

- Frank Krygowski

says...
> Sorry if this has been hashed over before, I've only just recently found

the group.
> I've been a dedicated year round bicycle commuter for decades and have

recently made the switch to
>disc brakes. I've always used synthetic motor oil on my chains (I clean them

in an ultrasonic
>cleaner every few weeks then soak them in it over night) with great success

but my bike shop
>recommended some very expensive wax based stuff which they say won't fling off

and contaminate the
>disc and pad. I trust these folks completely, but at the same time don't like

the idea of spending
>12 bucks for a dinky little bottle of lube. I understand the idea behind a

chain wax and am hoping
>that someone has formulated a home recipe. A Google search found some pretty

strange stuff but no
>bike lubes.

I use to wax my chain. Use to because it is a pain. Wax does not last very
long and if you get caught in the rain, you have to re-wax shortly thereafter.
You are better off keeping your current method of cleaning your chain. Just
make sure that after you lube the chain you wipe off the excess. I also don't
see how you are getting lube from your chain onto your brakes. Disc brakes are
on the opposite side as the chain. How id the oil crossing over to get on the
brake rotor?
---------------
Alex

sure! use valvo synthetic transmission oil. wash chain with walmart
paint brush cleaner. save cleaner in quart alcohol bottle. allow to
settle and reuse.

[email protected] wrote:
> sure! use valvo synthetic transmission oil. wash chain with walmart
> paint brush cleaner. save cleaner in quart alcohol bottle. allow to
> settle and reuse.

not woolmort?

"Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected]
> says...
>> Sorry if this has been hashed over before, I've only just recently
>> found

> the group.
>> I've been a dedicated year round bicycle commuter for decades and have

Hi,
You would not have seen my White Lightening recipe then.
1 litre bottle
paint thinner to half fill the bottle
a 3 inch candle
Let stand 3 weeks. Shake once a week. Put chain in or use toothbrush. Wax
falls off when dirt adheres while riding. repeat every week depending on
your rides.

cost priceless