Home shop tool question

LewisBricktop

Sep 10, 2006
So, not a bike-specific tool question, but I figure that there are some on this forum that could help. The no-bull attitude of people on this forum give me hope.
I just bought a Dewalt cordless drill to build a wheel storage rack and for a few other things. It was $100. Nothing special, but not a $20 walmart drill, either. Anyway, it was defective (battery almost exploded in my hand on use #1) so I returned it. It's my first experience buying power tools as I'm only 23, and I'm done messing around with low-middle end stuff already. I want something good.

Which brands should I be looking at?

I've used many drills before, but I've never needed one of my own (never had to let money leave my hand to use one). I've had pretty good luck with Milwaukee stuff, I've heard good things about Bosch, and I've used your average B&D, Craftsman, etc, which always worked alright, but didn't seem quite as durable as the Milwaukee.

Is there another brand I should consider?

I've never owned any Dewalt power tools, but I've always heard good things about them.

Are you mainly interested in cordless power tools or just power tools in general?

Definitely cordless. I'm actually debating getting a circular saw now, too, but the drill is #1 on my list. A good drill is something I could have used many times before but never had.

Who doesn't have an old road frame that could use some nice new fender mounts? I sure do.

Been involved in carpentry/construction for awhile and have used most of the brands on the market.
There are many good brands out there - DeWalt definitely being one of them regardless of individual negative examples.
The circumstance you described totally confounds me. In my experience, I've never witnessed a battery explode while a drill is being used - maybe due to overcharging while on the charger.
With a $100 price tag, you purchased one of the low end DeWalt drills. As such, the materials used in manufacture will not be much better than your Black and Decker item - you'll just be paying more for the DeWalt name.
Expect to pay more for a quality, long-lasting tool. Of course, what you buy should be predicated on its expected use and frequency. Being a pro and using the tool daily, I have no qualms in spending $200+ for a quality drill...
Personal preference means no one is actually right in their suggestion for a drill - all of the higher priced drills are very, very good. My preference is Panasonic, but I also own/owned DeWalt, Porter Cable, Makita, Hilti, Hitachi. Some have different features, but they all accomplish their designed task very well.

Also, if your main use will be fastening items, I suggest you get an impact driver - more power, faster, smaller/lighter. If you will need to drill holes at some point, then the drill/driver will be the way to go.

The battery thing was a fluk. Don't judge the tool by that.

On the drill thing, I have the $19 one from Harbor freight, well, three of them
really, and I can't say enough good things about them. For the price they can't
be beat. They have out lasted two Skil's by several years. For the cost of replacing
the battery on the Dewalt, you can buy five of these.

For the just now and then use, check them out.

Ryobi is cheap, Dewalt is a good brand, strange for that to happen, other brands as previously mentioned are Makita, Milwaukee, Bosch, Metabo and to a lesser extent hitachi. Most of these companies make at least two ranges, a diy range and tradesman range. In the end you realy get what you pay for. As previously stated also you can probably get 5-10 cheaper drills for the same price as a good one which is probably the way to go if your not going to use it that often as batteries will die over time even if not being used, but if its for every day use get a descent drill. You will also notice a difference in torque with the cheaper drills even if rated the same as a more expensive one.......once again it's all about what you want it for.

My two cents!!