home trainer records with Mile-a-minute Murphy

A few items about home trainers caught my eye in the free NYT
archives.

Apparently, roller races were thriving by 1887, only two or three
years after the introduction of the Rover safety bicycle:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10307348&wwwflag=2&imagepos=135

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

***

"Home Trainer Cycle Record Broken"

Worcester, Mass., Nov. 22 [1900] -- Frank Albert, the six-day bicycle
rider , broke all records on a home trainer for one hour at the Park
Theatre this morning, riding 48 1/2 miles in 60 minutes. The best
previous record was by Charles (Mile-a-Minute) Murphy of Brooklyn,
N.Y., who rode 41 7/8 miles on a home trainer in 1887.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F04E4D7153FE433A25750C2A9679D946197D6CF

***

March 6, 1904

"A. Krohn of the Monitor Cycle Club won first prize, in the home
trainer bicycle mile contest, his time being 1:07 4-5

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9804E5DB1130E333A25755C0A9659C946597D6CF

***

Aug. 26, 1903

"The novelty this week at Keith's is a race between the thoroughbred
Dolly Varden and [Bobby] Walthour, the bicyclist. The bicyclist sits
on a wheel mounted on a home trainer. The horse is ridden by Jockey
Kremer."

"The animal stands on a treadmill, nose pointing toward the audience,
and at a word from the starter, and some exceedingly lively music from
the orchestra, the race is on. It may be added that before the signal
to start the horse is securely fastened with steel cables so that any
danger of his plunging over the footlights is eliminated."

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9B02EFD61739E433A25755C2A96E9C946297D6CF

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 00:22:55 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

>March 6, 1904
>
>"A. Krohn of the Monitor Cycle Club won first prize, in the home
>trainer bicycle mile contest, his time being 1:07 4-5
>
>http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9804E5DB1130E333A25755C0A9659C946597D6CF

53mph, so I have a little way to go yet. My 0.6 mile in 47.9 is just
over 45mph.

Standing start or flying start? Gear restriction? Roller diameter?
Proper rollers or a front wheel out job like this?
http://www.recordholders.org/en/records/roller1.html

Riding on proper rollers needs almost twice the power at a given speed
compared with a home trainer with a support for the fork, as well as
demanding a more refined style in order to stay aboard :)

Kinky Cowboy*

*Batteries not included
May contain traces of nuts
Your milage may vary

[email protected] wrote:
> A few items about home trainers caught my eye in the free NYT
> archives.
>
> Apparently, roller races were thriving by 1887, only two or three
> years after the introduction of the Rover safety bicycle:
>
> http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10307348&wwwflag=2&imagepos=135
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel
>
> ***
>
> "Home Trainer Cycle Record Broken"
>
> Worcester, Mass., Nov. 22 [1900] -- Frank Albert, the six-day bicycle
> rider , broke all records on a home trainer for one hour at the Park
> Theatre this morning, riding 48 1/2 miles in 60 minutes. The best
> previous record was by Charles (Mile-a-Minute) Murphy of Brooklyn,
> N.Y., who rode 41 7/8 miles on a home trainer in 1887.
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F04E4D7153FE433A25750C2A9679D946197D6CF
>
> ***
>
> March 6, 1904
>
> "A. Krohn of the Monitor Cycle Club won first prize, in the home
> trainer bicycle mile contest, his time being 1:07 4-5
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9804E5DB1130E333A25755C0A9659C946597D6CF
>
> ***
>
> Aug. 26, 1903
>
> "The novelty this week at Keith's is a race between the thoroughbred
> Dolly Varden and [Bobby] Walthour, the bicyclist. The bicyclist sits
> on a wheel mounted on a home trainer. The horse is ridden by Jockey
> Kremer."
>
> "The animal stands on a treadmill, nose pointing toward the audience,
> and at a word from the starter, and some exceedingly lively music from
> the orchestra, the race is on. It may be added that before the signal
> to start the horse is securely fastened with steel cables so that any
> danger of his plunging over the footlights is eliminated."
>
> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9B02EFD61739E433A25755C2A96E9C946297D6CF

What no photo?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 14:25:38 -0500, A Muzi <[email protected]>
wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>> A few items about home trainers caught my eye in the free NYT
>> archives.
>>
>> Apparently, roller races were thriving by 1887, only two or three
>> years after the introduction of the Rover safety bicycle:
>>
>> http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10307348&wwwflag=2&imagepos=135
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Carl Fogel
>>
>> ***
>>
>> "Home Trainer Cycle Record Broken"
>>
>> Worcester, Mass., Nov. 22 [1900] -- Frank Albert, the six-day bicycle
>> rider , broke all records on a home trainer for one hour at the Park
>> Theatre this morning, riding 48 1/2 miles in 60 minutes. The best
>> previous record was by Charles (Mile-a-Minute) Murphy of Brooklyn,
>> N.Y., who rode 41 7/8 miles on a home trainer in 1887.
>>
>> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9F04E4D7153FE433A25750C2A9679D946197D6CF
>>
>> ***
>>
>> March 6, 1904
>>
>> "A. Krohn of the Monitor Cycle Club won first prize, in the home
>> trainer bicycle mile contest, his time being 1:07 4-5
>>
>> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9804E5DB1130E333A25755C0A9659C946597D6CF
>>
>> ***
>>
>> Aug. 26, 1903
>>
>> "The novelty this week at Keith's is a race between the thoroughbred
>> Dolly Varden and [Bobby] Walthour, the bicyclist. The bicyclist sits
>> on a wheel mounted on a home trainer. The horse is ridden by Jockey
>> Kremer."
>>
>> "The animal stands on a treadmill, nose pointing toward the audience,
>> and at a word from the starter, and some exceedingly lively music from
>> the orchestra, the race is on. It may be added that before the signal
>> to start the horse is securely fastened with steel cables so that any
>> danger of his plunging over the footlights is eliminated."
>>
>> http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9B02EFD61739E433A25755C2A96E9C946297D6CF

>What no photo?

Dear Andrew,

I'm looking, but so far this is the best that I can find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-xR1HErmH8&mode=related&search=

Considering his lack of training, Mr. Ed does well.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel