home trainers bad for the bike?

MintID

Sep 22, 2006
I was wondering if it's potentially damaging to the bike being on a hometrainer...
I'm a bit worried about my pinarello paris carbon. Is it a problem that you are restricting the bikes natural motion when you are really pounding the pedals (800+ watts)
it seems to me there's much more flex in the bike when it's on the trainer compared to when its on the road... could just be me being paranoid though...
eek.gif

I have a Tacx Satori home trainer if it makes any difference.

1. No it will not damage your frame.
2. Search for similar threads. You will find this has been discussed to death.
3. Ride your trainer and suffer!

Powerful Pete said:
1. No it will not damage your frame.
2. Search for similar threads. You will find this has been discussed to death.
3. Ride your trainer and suffer!
thanks for the quick reply.

No worries. There have apparently been studies by the likes of Tour magazine that indicate that the stress placed on a frame while on a trainer is not significant (compared to what we do on the road). The flex of the bottom bracket is always impressive/scary, but I have been riding all of my bikes on trainers for years and have had no trouble at all. Again, some previous threads will give you all the information that you need.

Enjoy your trainer suffering!

You'll also notice that none of the stationery trainers (at least none that I've ever seen) come with any limitations on what kinds of frames you can use on them. You know they'd be the first to splat warnings all over them if it were a problem. Power away!

Cheers! - nojiri