Homebuilder needs help with brake problem

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Robert Box, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Robert Box

    Robert Box Guest

    Need some help from the homebuilders here. I have built a TE clone and am running 20" front and 26"
    (559)rear tires. Got some Odyessy brake calipers , that run on many older freestylebikes,and and set
    up the frame / forks for them. Front brake works like a charm. Super braking with it.

    But the rear is a sad story. It would only slow the bike. And not slow it a great deal. Will not
    slide the rear wheel even in the dirt. Dragging your feet is much betterthan using rear brake.

    So, I put a "Bulldog" caliper on the rear. I these are Dia-Compe.

    Like these. http://www.cyclepath.ca/products/itm00034.htm

    Readjust everthing and same story. Both of these calpers are well made, beefy construction, that do
    not apear to flex ect. And as I said, the front one works great.

    Dug around in my parts boxes and found a no name steel caliper that came off an old Murray comfort
    bike. Installed on the rear , adjust ect. Now decent brakes , but not great .

    I used cable stops on the frame to cut housing length to a minimum. So , I do not think housing is
    compressing . Good Dia-compe pads that have been successifully used on other projects. Pivot bolts
    lubed, brake pads properly toed in . The pads are in the center of the adjusting slots on the
    caliper, not out at the ends. I have put the same Odyssey calipers on a custom cruiser of mine with
    good results.

    My question, what gives? Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Robert Box

    Robert Box Guest

    [q1]> Go back and read the original post- he's using old-style sidepull brakes. No bosses are needed.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Jeff[/q1]

    Yes, sidepull single pivot caliper brakes. Like I said , the front works like a champ, but the rear
    is doggy. With the steel sidepull caliper, it is reasonable, but nothing like the front.

    Question, does the nylon/plastic lined cable housing compress more than the old coiled type cable
    housing. This is the first time i have used it.

    I am going to try a lever change . But has anyone had this problem or am I just lucky today??? I
    hope I'm not real special in this regard. Again, any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Robert Box) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> Go back and read the original post- he's using old-style sidepull brakes. No bosses are needed.[/q2]
    [q2]>>[/q2]
    [q2]>> Jeff[/q2]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Yes, sidepull single pivot caliper brakes. Like I said , the front works like a champ, but the[/q1]
    [q1]> rear is doggy. With the steel sidepull caliper, it is reasonable, but nothing like the front.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Question, does the nylon/plastic lined cable housing compress more than the old coiled type cable[/q1]
    [q1]> housing. This is the first time i have used it.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> I am going to try a lever change . But has anyone had this problem or am I just lucky today??? I[/q1]
    [q1]> hope I'm not real special in this regard. Again, any help would be appreciated.[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]
    [q1]> Thanks[/q1]
    [q1]>[/q1]

    I think you are on the right track. That looong stretch of cable housing going to the rear brake can
    be problematic. Braze ons that allow a big part of the cable to run without the housing can help.
    There are also"dual pivot" brakes that mount just as a regular caliper brake, and there is some
    improvement. Tektro and Shimano both make them. I have seen them on sale for less than U$20 before.
    I need one right now, and haven't found as good a deal as usual, but here is a link

    http://www.ultimateridingsports.com/html_pages/brakes_and_levers4.html#4

    hopefully somebody will post a better one. rorschandt