Homemade Auro-Dri

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Leticia Coates, Oct 29, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    I’m trying to get hold of some Auro-Dri for my boyfriend. He originally brought some in
    Hawaii, but now I’ve tried to order it over the internet, and it’s not exported
    to the UK.

    Does anyone know how I can get hold of it in the UK?

    Or alternatively, I’ve seen a few postings about homemade Auro-Dri using alcohol and white
    vinegar; does anyone know the exact proportions needed? I don’t want to poison him!

    Thanks in advance,

    Leticia.

    Tags:

  2. Ironman1day

    Ironman1day Guest

    Is it safe to use products such as auro-dri and swim ear nearly every day?

  3. Diablo

    Diablo Guest

    "ironman1day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it safe to use products such as auro-dri and swim ear nearly every day?

    i'd say it is - my wife was a diver in college and used it every evening after practice, and
    still does.

  4. Chris

    Chris Guest

    I came across an alternative to Auro-Dri in the K-Mart the other month: Mack's Dry-n-Clear. This
    company seems to specialize in earplugs. The product is probably the same as Auro-Dri, but the
    bottle is much better. With Auro-Dri you have to remove the cap and put on the spout. With
    Dry-n-Clear, the bottle has a built-in spout with a cap over that.

    As for how safe it is, I was worried that I would get "addicted" to it the same way people seem to
    get addicted to eye drops. They just have to have them, and they feel their eyes are mummifying if
    they don't get their daily dose of eye drops. So I've only been using the ear stuff when I
    definitely feel bothered, which is every three or four swimming sessions.

    My left ear tends to have problems, and I thought it was just my bad ear, but it recently occurred
    to me that since I breath to my left, my left ear may be getting more water in it ... if that makes
    any sense. On the other hand, I'm sure both ears are being drenched in water.

    Leticia Coates wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I’m trying to get hold of some Auro-Dri for my boyfriend. He originally brought some in
    > Hawaii, but now I’ve tried to order it over the internet, and it’s not exported
    > to the UK.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get hold of it in the UK?
    >
    > Or alternatively, I’ve seen a few postings about homemade Auro-Dri using alcohol and white
    > vinegar; does anyone know the exact proportions needed? I don’t want to poison him!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Leticia.

  5. Pat

    Pat Guest

    > Hello,
    >
    > I’m trying to get hold of some Auro-Dri for my boyfriend. He originally brought some in
    > Hawaii, but now I’ve tried to order it over the internet, and it’s not exported
    > to the UK.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get hold of it in the UK?
    >
    > Or alternatively, I’ve seen a few postings about homemade Auro-Dri using alcohol and white
    > vinegar; does anyone know the exact proportions needed? I don’t want to poison him!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Leticia.

    Just put some rubbing alcohol and vinegar in a squeeze bottle: proportions aren't important. The
    alcohol dries out the canal and evaporates while the vinegar creates an acidic environment in which
    the "bugs" won't grow. Poison? Don't be silly. He IS putting in his ear, not drinking it, after all!

    Pat in TX

  6. Mpbrodeur

    Mpbrodeur Guest

    They work fine to dry out the ear, and the alchohol content kills bacteria. I've been using both for
    10 years with zero problems. I even use it after a shower at home. Indispensable for someone like
    myself who used to have ear problems because of too much swimming and waterlogged ears.