Homemade headset cup removal tool?

On Thu, 25 Mar 2004 23:11:10 GMT, "G.T." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What's the cleanest way to remove cups from a frame?
>
>I have my Bomber and Chris King headset up for
>auction at Ebay:
>
>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3668428-
>822&ssPageName=ADME:B:LC:US:1
>
>Greg

You shameless hussy, hockin' your lame ass warze on AMB.

Peace, Bill The mind serves properly as a window glass
rather than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give an
immediate view instead of an interpretation of the world.
:-]

miles todd wrote:

> G.T. wrote:
>
>> What's the cleanest way to remove cups from a frame?
>>
>> I have my Bomber and Chris King headset up for auction
>> at Ebay:

Snipped my spam.

> Have you seen a Park Rocket tool? >
> http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml

When I had easy access to a shop I've used one.

> Easy to make a home-made one.

But with what material should I start with? I've made
installers but they were easy. It seems you need the right
steel for the remover to work without breaking or crumbling.

Greg

In article <[email protected]>,
Slacker <[email protected]> wrote:

> miles todd wrote:
> >

> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >> What's the cleanest way to remove cups from a frame?
> >>
> >> I have my Bomber and Chris King headset up for auction
> >> at Ebay:
> >>
> >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=366-
> >> 8428822&ssPageName=AD
> >> ME:B:LC:US:1
> >>

> >> Greg
> >>

> > Have you seen a Park Rocket tool? >
> > http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml
> >
> > Easy to make a home-made one.
> >
> > miles
> >

> Now if someone would make a 1.5 ver!
> --
> Slacker

I'd have to look at mine, but it is flared. I daresay a
little creative tweaking would push it out to OnepointFive
diameter if it didn't fit already.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected]
http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine/wiredcola/ President, Fabrizio

> miles todd wrote:
> >

> > G.T. wrote:
> >
> >> What's the cleanest way to remove cups from a frame?
> >>
> >> I have my Bomber and Chris King headset up for auction
> >> at Ebay:
> >>

> Snipped my spam.
>

> > Have you seen a Park Rocket tool? >
> > http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml
> >

> When I had easy access to a shop I've used one.
>
> > Easy to make a home-made one.
> >

> But with what material should I start with? I've made
> installers but they were easy. It seems you need the right
> steel for the remover to work without breaking or
> crumbling.

The tool I always use is a three piece deal - me, mallet,
lump of 3x2. Apply brute finess. HTH.

Shaun aRe

G.T. wrote:

> miles todd wrote:
>

>> G.T. wrote:
>>
>>> What's the cleanest way to remove cups from a frame?
>>>
>>> I have my Bomber and Chris King headset up for auction
>>> at Ebay:
>>>

> Snipped my spam.
>

>> Have you seen a Park Rocket tool? >
>> http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml
>>

> When I had easy access to a shop I've used one.
>
>> Easy to make a home-made one.
>>

> But with what material should I start with? I've made
> installers but they were easy. It seems you need the right
> steel for the remover to work without breaking or
> crumbling.
>
> Greg

Wander around Home Depot for a little while. Use your
creative enginuity.

miles

> When I had easy access to a shop I've used one.
>
> > Easy to make a home-made one.
> >

> But with what material should I start with? I've made
> installers but they were easy. It seems you need the right
> steel for the remover to work without breaking or
> crumbling.
>
> Greg

Although I have the Park tool for this job, a peice of pipe,
preferably aluminum, cut two ways on a band saw would do the
same thing. It would be good for at least a couple uses
anyway, it doesn't take a lot of force it get the cups out.

--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-

G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
> miles todd wrote:

> > Have you seen a Park Rocket tool? >
> > http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml Easy to make a
> > home-made one.

> But with what material should I start with? I've made
> installers but they were easy. It seems you need the right
> steel for the remover to work without breaking or
> crumbling.

Any mild steel ought to survive. Mild steel is easy to cut
with a hacksaw. I got a piece of EMT conduit about 0.9" OD
(costs a couple bucks for 10 feet, available at all home
improvement stores), and cut the flares. Works for both 1"
and 1-1/8", just adjust the flares by bending them in/out.

"Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:
> > miles todd wrote:
>
> > > Have you seen a Park Rocket tool? >
> > > http://www.parktool.com/tools/RT_1.shtml Easy to make
> > > a home-made one.
>
> > But with what material should I start with? I've made
> > installers but
they
> > were easy. It seems you need the right steel for the
> > remover to work without breaking or crumbling.
>
> Any mild steel ought to survive. Mild steel is easy to cut
> with a hacksaw. I got a piece of EMT conduit about 0.9" OD
> (costs a couple bucks for 10 feet, available at all home
> improvement stores), and cut the flares. Works for both 1"
> and 1-1/8", just adjust the flares by bending them in/out.

That's what I'm going to do as I need something easily
cuttable with a hacksaw.

Greg

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > G.T. <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > But with what material should I start with? I've made
> > > installers but
> they
> > > were easy. It seems you need the right steel for the
> > > remover to work without breaking or crumbling.
> >
> > Any mild steel ought to survive. Mild steel is easy to
> > cut with a hacksaw. I got a piece of EMT conduit about
> > 0.9" OD (costs a couple bucks for 10 feet, available at
> > all home improvement stores), and cut the flares. Works
> > for both 1" and 1-1/8", just adjust the flares by
> > bending them in/out.
> >

> That's what I'm going to do as I need something easily
> cuttable with a hacksaw.
>
> Greg

PVC pipe s our friend