Homemade salad dressing

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Tara, Mar 2, 2006.

  1. Tara

    Tara Guest

    Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

    Tara

    Tags:

  2. elaine

    elaine Guest

    "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
    >
    > Tara

    Hmm.........interesting.

    E.

  3. In article <[email protected]>,
    Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about
    > an equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil
    > until it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black
    > pepper, and a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

    Good for you! I usually make oil and either vinegar or lemon juice
    with garlic, pepper, salt, sometimes adding thyme and/or oregano. I
    vary the oil and the vinegars depending on what we're eating and what I
    feel like. I also make a creamy dressing using cottage cheese and
    buttermilk with cracked pepper and a little vinegar, just whirring it in
    the blender. Very rarely I make a soy-ginger dressing, rarely because
    there are only two people in the house who like it. :)

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  4. Syssi

    Syssi Guest

    "Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
    >
    > Tara

    ==========

    Cool.

    I/we do both (buy and make).

    One of our favorites is to mix:

    Sour Cream
    Vinegar
    Sugar

    Mix to the desired consistancy & flavor.

    --
    Syssi

  5. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Tara wrote:

    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

    My wife almost always makes her own, and it's darned good. She makes it
    with olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt. pepper, mustard
    powder, garlic and Worcestershire Sauce. People rave about her dressing.
    I used to get a guilt trip laid on my if I bought salad dressing, but I
    eventually convinced her that I like bleu cheese dressing on salads if I
    have steaks or lamb. And of course I need bleu cheese dressing for my
    veggies with the Saturday night Buffalo wings.

  6. On Thu 02 Mar 2006 05:38:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Tara?

    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
    >
    > Tara

    Home made salad dressings are the best, and you're off to a good start. It
    has been especially valuable to me on Weight Watchers because most of the
    commercial so-called fat-free or low calorie dressings are disgusting. I use
    fat-free mayo and fat-free sour cream as a base for many delicious home made
    dressings. If you like blue cheese dressing, you can make the best at home
    by adding that to a mixture of mayo and sour cream and other flavorings you
    prefer. Experiment!

    --
    Wayne Boatwright o¿o
    ____________________

    BIOYA

  7. Tara wrote:
    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
    >
    > Tara

    My husband makes the salad dressing here. Once in a while I buy cheap
    ranch dressing to dip veggies in, but I've made it a few times, and If
    I'm going to make it myself I need buttermilk, which I don't always have
    in the house. We usually have a cruet of olive oil/balsamic
    vinegar/garlic/various dried herbs/salt and pepper in the fridge.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  8. sf

    sf Guest

    On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:38:28 GMT, Tara wrote:

    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

    :) Your entering a brave new world now, Tara. LOL My idea of home
    made salad dressing is preparing a package of Good Seasons Italian.
    No excuses, that's what I do. I could make decent dressings from
    scratch if I cared, but I don't (too many different wants/needs in
    this household). To be perfectly honest, the only dressing I make
    from scratch each and every time is Caesar.

  9. On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:38:28 GMT, Tara <[email protected]>
    rummaged among random neurons and opined:

    >Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    >it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    >dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some!

    <snip>

    Ya wanna try some homemade dressing that will really impact your
    salivary glands??

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Zesty French Dressing

    salads and salad dressings

    1/2 cup onion; finely chopped
    1 clove garlic; finely chopped
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1 cup olive oil
    1 cup catsup
    2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon paprika
    1 teaspoon oregano

    Combine all ingredients in jar with tight fitting lid; shake to mix
    well. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours to blend flavors.

    Makes 2 3/4 cups

    Yield: 8 servings

    Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
    AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

    -- Duncan Hines

  10. cathyxyz

    cathyxyz Guest

    Tara wrote:
    > Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
    > it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
    > dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
    > salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
    > spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
    > equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
    > it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
    > a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
    >
    > Tara

    I bet you will do this more often, Tara. Much better than ready made,
    IMHO. DH makes ours... can't tell you what he puts in it, cos it
    depends on the salad - but its always good.

    --
    Cheers
    Cathy(xyz)