Homemade salad dressing

Tara

Guest
Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

Tara

"Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
>
> Tara

Hmm.........interesting.

E.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tara <[email protected]> wrote:

> I spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about
> an equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil
> until it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black
> pepper, and a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

Good for you! I usually make oil and either vinegar or lemon juice
with garlic, pepper, salt, sometimes adding thyme and/or oregano. I
vary the oil and the vinegars depending on what we're eating and what I
feel like. I also make a creamy dressing using cottage cheese and
buttermilk with cracked pepper and a little vinegar, just whirring it in
the blender. Very rarely I make a soy-ginger dressing, rarely because
there are only two people in the house who like it. :)

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

"Tara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
>
> Tara

==========

Cool.

I/we do both (buy and make).

One of our favorites is to mix:

Sour Cream
Vinegar
Sugar

Mix to the desired consistancy & flavor.

--
Syssi

Tara wrote:

> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

My wife almost always makes her own, and it's darned good. She makes it
with olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, salt. pepper, mustard
powder, garlic and Worcestershire Sauce. People rave about her dressing.
I used to get a guilt trip laid on my if I bought salad dressing, but I
eventually convinced her that I like bleu cheese dressing on salads if I
have steaks or lamb. And of course I need bleu cheese dressing for my
veggies with the Saturday night Buffalo wings.

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 05:38:28p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Tara?

> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
>
> Tara

Home made salad dressings are the best, and you're off to a good start. It
has been especially valuable to me on Weight Watchers because most of the
commercial so-called fat-free or low calorie dressings are disgusting. I use
fat-free mayo and fat-free sour cream as a base for many delicious home made
dressings. If you like blue cheese dressing, you can make the best at home
by adding that to a mixture of mayo and sour cream and other flavorings you
prefer. Experiment!

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Tara wrote:
> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
>
> Tara

My husband makes the salad dressing here. Once in a while I buy cheap
ranch dressing to dip veggies in, but I've made it a few times, and If
I'm going to make it myself I need buttermilk, which I don't always have
in the house. We usually have a cruet of olive oil/balsamic
vinegar/garlic/various dried herbs/salt and pepper in the fridge.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:38:28 GMT, Tara wrote:

> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.

:) Your entering a brave new world now, Tara. LOL My idea of home
made salad dressing is preparing a package of Good Seasons Italian.
No excuses, that's what I do. I could make decent dressings from
scratch if I cared, but I don't (too many different wants/needs in
this household). To be perfectly honest, the only dressing I make
from scratch each and every time is Caesar.

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:38:28 GMT, Tara <[email protected]>
rummaged among random neurons and opined:

>Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
>it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
>dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some!

<snip>

Ya wanna try some homemade dressing that will really impact your
salivary glands??

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Zesty French Dressing

salads and salad dressings

1/2 cup onion; finely chopped
1 clove garlic; finely chopped
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup red wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 cup catsup
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon oregano

Combine all ingredients in jar with tight fitting lid; shake to mix
well. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours to blend flavors.

Makes 2 3/4 cups

Yield: 8 servings

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd
AAC(F)BV66.0748.CA

-- Duncan Hines

Tara wrote:
> Salad dressing is one of those items that I always buy. I never make
> it at home. Don't know why. But, last night, I was out of salad
> dressing. I realized -- hey! I can make some! So I made my very own
> salad dressing and I am just inordinately proud of myself. I
> spooned a big spoonful of mayonnaise into the bowl and added about an
> equal amount of rice wine vinegar. Next, I whisked in olive oil until
> it was a nice consistency. Then, I added tarragon, black pepper, and
> a big pinch each of salt and sugar.
>
> Tara

I bet you will do this more often, Tara. Much better than ready made,
IMHO. DH makes ours... can't tell you what he puts in it, cos it
depends on the salad - but its always good.

--
Cheers
Cathy(xyz)