Homemade Sports Drink Recipes

Mike Hamilton

Guest
Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?

I found this so far: http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
And his basic Gatorade-like recipe:
Recipe #1

* 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
* .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
* 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix for flavor
* Water to make 2 liters

Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of
124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2%
concentration.

* 14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
* 53 calories
* 103 mg Sodium
* 121 mg Potassium

And my personal favorite for recovery is the large glass of skim milk
with a ton of table sugar mixed in.

Michael Hamilton

On Jun 24, 2:39 pm, Mike Hamilton <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
> advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?
>
> I found this so far:http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
> And his basic Gatorade-like recipe:
> Recipe #1
>
> * 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
> * .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
> * 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix for flavor
> * Water to make 2 liters
>
> Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of
> 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2%
> concentration.
>
> * 14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
> * 53 calories
> * 103 mg Sodium
> * 121 mg Potassium
>
> And my personal favorite for recovery is the large glass of skim milk
> with a ton of table sugar mixed in.

I switched to homemade from Accelerade partly to save money but mostly
because I was getting tired of the same one or two flavors for weeks
at a time. If there's a difference between homemade and store bought
it becomes apparent at a level that I haven't reached. Having a more
palatable drink, for me, more than makes up for any slight theoretical
advantage that the fancier stuff might offer. I don't use caffeine for
bike riding, BTW.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:39:45 -0400, Mike Hamilton
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
>instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
>advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?

Some of the commercial drinks that have glucose polymers in them can
have more calories without tasting as sweet as your drink made with
just sucrose.

--
JT
****************************

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 13:06:23 -0700, [email protected]
wrote:

>I switched to homemade from Accelerade partly to save money but mostly
>because I was getting tired of the same one or two flavors for weeks
>at a time. If there's a difference between homemade and store bought
>it becomes apparent at a level that I haven't reached. Having a more
>palatable drink, for me, more than makes up for any slight theoretical
>advantage that the fancier stuff might offer. I don't use caffeine for
>bike riding,

Yeah, taste that you like, and variety, are really important. I use
all kinds of different stuff and so don't get too bored. Sometimes
even fruit juice (grape, apple, etc), or fruit juice with maltodextrin
and salt (or Morton's Lite Salt) added.
--
JT
****************************

<[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
>instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
>advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?

This is from a post that I saved in R.B.M I've been using it ever
since:

"You won't believe how close this sports drink recipe is to a
commercial product. It has 110 mg of sodium and 38 mg of potassium per
8-oz. serving. Cost is only about 30 cents per half gallon. Compare
that to $3 for Gatorade! You can adjust the sweetness to taste. --
John
R.

1 packet any flavor of unsweetened Kool-Aid or similar product for
making 2 quarts
8 tablespoons sugar
3/8 teaspoon of salt
1/8 teaspoon salt substitute that contains potassium chloride
2 quarts of water"

Mine just comes out of the tap...

"Mike Hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
> advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery
> drinks?

On Jun 24, 4:30 pm, "NickP" TOP POSTED:
> Mine just comes out of the tap...

Drinking just water is a bad idea on a hot, humid day because of
hyponatremia [1]. If I want to be cheap, I mix some lemon concentrate
and salt with tap water.

[1] Been there, done that, wasn't at all pleasant.

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:39:45 -0400, Mike Hamilton wrote:

> Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.?

Yep. Half and half maltodextrin and dextrose (glucose), in sacks of powder
from any brewing shop. About 4 tablespoons to the large bottle, with a
squirt of lemon or lime juice for flavour.

On long rides I prefer to pop the odd salt tablet than put it in my drink.

Anybody have an equivalent recipe for All Sport? I loved the stuff,
particularly the cherry flavor, but it's been off the market for several
years.

Thanks,
Greg

"Mike Hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
> advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery

drinks?

> I found this so far: http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
> And his basic Gatorade-like recipe:
> Recipe #1
>
> * 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
> * .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
> * 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix for flavor
> * Water to make 2 liters
>
> Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of
> 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2%
> concentration.
>
> * 14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
> * 53 calories
> * 103 mg Sodium
> * 121 mg Potassium
>

> And my personal favorite for recovery is the large glass of skim milk
> with a ton of table sugar mixed in.
>
> Michael Hamilton

Before the days of ERG, etc. I used to mix half of a 6 oz. can of tomato
paste per water bottle. Two of them helped keep away electrolyte bonk in
the hot Southwest sun.

Six oz. of tomato paste only contains about 80 calories but it has sodium,
potassium, calcium and magnesium, four elements that you loose in
perspiration.

One time another rider rode up beside me and grabbed the bottle out of my
TA handlebar water bottle cage and emptied on himself thinking it was H20.
That was the last time he touched any of my stuff. ;-)

Chas.

On Jun 24, 9:22 pm, "* * Chas" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Mike Hamilton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>

> > Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> > instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
> > advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery

> drinks?
>
> > I found this so far:http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
> > And his basic Gatorade-like recipe:
> > Recipe #1

> > * 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
> > * .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
> > * 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix for flavor
> > * Water to make 2 liters

> > Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of
> > 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2%
> > concentration.

> > * 14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
> > * 53 calories
> > * 103 mg Sodium
> > * 121 mg Potassium

> > And my personal favorite for recovery is the large glass of skim milk
> > with a ton of table sugar mixed in.

> > Michael Hamilton

> Before the days of ERG, etc. I used to mix half of a 6 oz. can of tomato
> paste per water bottle. Two of them helped keep away electrolyte bonk in
> the hot Southwest sun.
>
> Six oz. of tomato paste only contains about 80 calories but it has sodium,
> potassium, calcium and magnesium, four elements that you loose in
> perspiration.
>
> One time another rider rode up beside me and grabbed the bottle out of my
> TA handlebar water bottle cage and emptied on himself thinking it was H20.
> That was the last time he touched any of my stuff. ;-)
>
> Chas.- Hide quoted text -

This brings up verlen kruger
verlenkruger.com
www.krugercanoes.com/
http://pweb.jps.net/~prichins/loganbrd.htm
Kruger mixed some sports drink for his partner who became deathly ill
from it st the start of a trip around SA? I regret not knowing Kruger,
rumor perhaps untrue is that he found this amusing which did not
improve the situation
Before starting a trip around SA.
I suffered one - rose hips: cramps farting...thanks mom! Good idea.
A problem with the DIY sports drink beyond the Logan Bread which is
good and sure tastes better than banana nut gach, finding glucose in a
food form at less than 55 gallon drum quantities.
Fructose, sucrose galactose from AVAGADRO IV but not the stuff energy
foods people claim to mix into the food for the 'actual' energy
production part of it: glucose.
The body, mine anyway, takes food breaks it down and eventually feeds
glucose into the energy mechanism. That's what CHO does to your liver.
CHO forces the liver to yield its glucose into the bloodstream.
The energy food or drink skips the digestion and gives you the basic
glucoses without the effort of digesting.
Read the Cliff and Power bar ingredients like niacin, thiamin,
CAFFEINE...and using the internet figure out what each does energywise.
Those 'chemicals' - remembering that chemicals may not be good for
you- are available at the health food store in one form or another
like rose hips,
Do you know the formula (h-c-c-c-c-c-o) and how the stuff produces
energy?
That would help understanding the problem.
iced water with a freshly crushed lemon and a pinch of sugar-pinch-is
refreshing.

> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 15:39:45 -0400, Mike Hamilton
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> >instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
> >advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery

drinks?

> Some of the commercial drinks that have glucose polymers in them can
> have more calories without tasting as sweet as your drink made with
> just sucrose.
>

> --
> JT

A lot of emphasis is put on salt or sodium and sometimes potassium but
it's also important to replace the calcium and magnesium that you loose in
perspiration.

Magnesium is one of the electrolytic minerals that is overlooked a lot and
the American diet tends to be low in it. Here's a link with some info on
the dietary magnesium requirements:

http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/nutrition/factsheets/magnesium.html

Sunflower seeds and many kinds of nuts are a good source for magnesium but
they also contain a lot of fat which is slower to break down into energy
so they are not generally the best choice for eating just before or while
riding.

Many of the commercial "energy bars" contain high percentages of peanut
butter and/or other nuts. These may not be the best food source for
cyclists, runners or other athletes needing a fast energy boost.

Bananas contain some magnesium and also potassium plus a lot of carbs.

This is a good website for nutritional breakdown on various foods. There
is a section that lists minerals in the right hand column:

http://www.nutritiondata.com/help/quickstart

In another thread you discussed cramps at length. I was a competitive
swimmer during my teens. I suffered from horrendous cramps in my calves.
I've had both calves cramp up while swimming, walking afterwards and in my
sleep.

The problem went away for the most part in my 20s. After hip surgery about
4 years ago, I started having leg cramps again in my calves while
sleeping. My ortho MD recommended that I eat enough calcium, magnesium and
take vitamin E supplements. These measures have just about eliminated the
problem.

Occasionally at the end of a hard ride my quads will start to cramp up on
a climb but that's due to electrolyte bonk and I need to start drinking
some kind of replacement beverage while riding.

Hope that helps.

Chas.

a BORSCHT BAR looks like a good bet for the summer

BEET THE HEAT

Thanks so much everybody...I shall go experiment now, although the MIT
cycling team will be sponsored by some sports drink companies when I get
there in the fall for grad school.

Michael

Mike Hamilton wrote:
> Does anybody here make their own homemade sports drinks to save money
> instead of buying Gatorade, Accelerade, etc.? Is there actually any
> advantage to buying the more expensive during-exercise and recovery drinks?
>
> I found this so far: http://www.cptips.com/hmdesnk.htm
> And his basic Gatorade-like recipe:
> Recipe #1
>
> * 10 tbs. sugar (5/8 cups or 120 grams)
> * .75 tsp Morton Lite salt (4.2 grams)
> * 1 package of unsweetened Kool-Aid mix for flavor
> * Water to make 2 liters
>
> Nutrition Information (per 8 ounces). The recipe will give a total of
> 124 grams of solute which in 2 liters water gives a total of 6.2%
> concentration.
>
> * 14.2 grams carbohydrate (6%)
> * 53 calories
> * 103 mg Sodium
> * 121 mg Potassium
>

> And my personal favorite for recovery is the large glass of skim milk
> with a ton of table sugar mixed in.
>
> Michael Hamilton

remember!
studies may indicate excessive vitamin intake could promote prostate
cancer
and
Cliff Bar's innovator died from heart strain and clogged coronary
arteries

EAT A BEET
BEET THE HEAT
BUT HOLD THE CREAM