homemade tools and other gadgets

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mr Chris, Feb 8, 2003.

  1. Mr Chris

    Mr Chris Guest

    a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
    http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
    sometimes they works and sometimes it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills
    headsets). lets hear those stories...

    Tags:

  2. Cameron

    Cameron Guest

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "mr chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
    > http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
    > sometimes they works and
    sometimes
    > it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills headsets). lets hear those stories...

    Whew. The words came up before the pics, and "here's my homemade crank-puller" had me wincing
    for a sec!

    Bill "and why can't anyone spell 'voila'?" S.

  4. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

  5. Mr Chris

    Mr Chris Guest

    "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

    > Ack!! Try yellow letters instead of red. Easier on the eyes.
    >
    > --
    > Cameron

    yellow is for cowards, im canadian and red is our national color. also tim hortons is our place to
    worship...

    mr chris

  6. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    I've built up a few frames in my time. Never used a tool (press) for head set. A block of wood and a
    mallet worked every time for me. And even replaced races with no special tools. Large screwdriver
    and a mallet to remove them and mallet and wooden block to set them. Now all other jobs like
    cranks,BB,freewheels, casettes,ect. Special tools are needed. For pedals I have a pedal wrench but
    an open end wrench can be used. Fork tubes pipe cutter is used. Removing a tire lever or tire
    spoons. But a butter knife handle can be used to remove a tire. Easy way to place a chain is to pull
    rear derailleur foward and tie it to chain stay with wire tie. Now feed chain.and pin it.

    Fire up MTB 03

  7. R.H.

    R.H. Guest

    All hail Tim's!!!!!!

    --
    ______________________________________

    The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will
    he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.

    --Samuel Butler--
    ______________________________________
    "mr chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:D[email protected]...
    >

    > > Ack!! Try yellow letters instead of red. Easier on the eyes.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Cameron
    > >

    > yellow is for cowards, im canadian and red is our national color. also
    tim
    > hortons is our place to worship...
    >
    > mr chris

    ---

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    mr chris <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
    > http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
    > sometimes they works and
    sometimes
    > it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills headsets). lets hear those stories...

    Made a headset press outa threaded bar, nuts and nylon block, a chain whip from old chain and steel
    bar, but that's it for the tools. Other stuff is quick release handlebar and helmet night light
    mounts, home made rear light and QR (click in/out) mounts (one on each bike), night light battery
    bags with straps and friction locks for frame mounting, padded hydro pack 'sheath' and other bits
    and pieces. I love making things/solutions to problems, and ain't too bad at it either.

    Shaun aRe

  9. mr chris <[email protected]> wrote:
    > a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
    > http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
    > sometimes they works and sometimes it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills
    > headsets). lets hear those stories...

    I made a headset cup remover out of a piece of EMT conduit (mild steel pipe, from any hardware
    store) - cut slots in it and flare the end out. Works great. Made a headset press from a long bolt
    and some nuts and washers. I haven't destroyed any headsets, but have only used it on inexpensive
    steel headsets. It took a little care to make sure the cups were going in straight. I haven't made
    a crown race setter, maybe a piece of EMT or PVC pipe would work if there's one with the right
    inner diameter.

    Sheldon Brown's pages have a tip on how to make a BB fixed cup remover/installer out of a bolt, nut,
    washers, and a socket wrench. This works awesome, much better than the wrenches that slip off, but
    you only need it if you have a cup-and-cone bottom bracket.

    Tried homemade chainwhips, dismal failure, bent up some angle iron pretty good trying to disassemble
    a freewheel. Mild steel does not work in that application.

    Ben Still prototyping the internal-cable-routing Pez dispenser