homemade tools and other gadgets

"mr chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
> http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
> sometimes they works and
sometimes
> it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills headsets). lets hear those stories...

Whew. The words came up before the pics, and "here's my homemade crank-puller" had me wincing
for a sec!

Bill "and why can't anyone spell 'voila'?" S.

"Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:D[email protected]...

> Ack!! Try yellow letters instead of red. Easier on the eyes.
>
> --
> Cameron

yellow is for cowards, im canadian and red is our national color. also tim hortons is our place to
worship...

mr chris

I've built up a few frames in my time. Never used a tool (press) for head set. A block of wood and a
mallet worked every time for me. And even replaced races with no special tools. Large screwdriver
and a mallet to remove them and mallet and wooden block to set them. Now all other jobs like
cranks,BB,freewheels, casettes,ect. Special tools are needed. For pedals I have a pedal wrench but
an open end wrench can be used. Fork tubes pipe cutter is used. Removing a tire lever or tire
spoons. But a butter knife handle can be used to remove a tire. Easy way to place a chain is to pull
rear derailleur foward and tie it to chain stay with wire tie. Now feed chain.and pin it.

Fire up MTB 03

All hail Tim's!!!!!!

--
______________________________________

The greatest pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him, and not only will
he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself, too.

--Samuel Butler--
______________________________________
"mr chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cameron" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:D[email protected]...
>

> > Ack!! Try yellow letters instead of red. Easier on the eyes.
> >
> > --
> > Cameron
> >

> yellow is for cowards, im canadian and red is our national color. also
tim
> hortons is our place to worship...
>
> mr chris

---

mr chris <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
> http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
> sometimes they works and
sometimes
> it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills headsets). lets hear those stories...

Made a headset press outa threaded bar, nuts and nylon block, a chain whip from old chain and steel
bar, but that's it for the tools. Other stuff is quick release handlebar and helmet night light
mounts, home made rear light and QR (click in/out) mounts (one on each bike), night light battery
bags with straps and friction locks for frame mounting, padded hydro pack 'sheath' and other bits
and pieces. I love making things/solutions to problems, and ain't too bad at it either.

Shaun aRe

mr chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> a little extra time at work, stick welder and a big nut........ volia!
> http://www.geocities.com/singlesprocket/homemadetool.html well we all tried to make our own tools,
> sometimes they works and sometimes it was a butcher job (my homemade headset press that kills
> headsets). lets hear those stories...

I made a headset cup remover out of a piece of EMT conduit (mild steel pipe, from any hardware
store) - cut slots in it and flare the end out. Works great. Made a headset press from a long bolt
and some nuts and washers. I haven't destroyed any headsets, but have only used it on inexpensive
steel headsets. It took a little care to make sure the cups were going in straight. I haven't made
a crown race setter, maybe a piece of EMT or PVC pipe would work if there's one with the right
inner diameter.

Sheldon Brown's pages have a tip on how to make a BB fixed cup remover/installer out of a bolt, nut,
washers, and a socket wrench. This works awesome, much better than the wrenches that slip off, but
you only need it if you have a cup-and-cone bottom bracket.

Tried homemade chainwhips, dismal failure, bent up some angle iron pretty good trying to disassemble
a freewheel. Mild steel does not work in that application.

Ben Still prototyping the internal-cable-routing Pez dispenser