Homeschoolers to be vaccinated

[email protected] (Jonathan Smith) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (J.Pascal) wrote in message
(...)
> > In North Dakota all homeschooled children must be registered with the public school district.
> > That registration includes proof of immunization. Nothing new.
>
> That is not completely accurate, Julie.
>
> 3. Any minor child, through the child's parent or guardian, may submit to the institution
> authorities either a certificate from a licensed physician stating that the physical condition
> of the child is such that immunization would endanger the life or health of the child or a
> certificate signed by the child's parent or guardian whose religious, philosophical, or moral
> beliefs are opposed to such immunization. The minor child is then exempt from the provisions of
> this section.
>
> The registration includes exemption provisions for medical, religious, and philisophical reasons -
> probably the most liberal of all wording regarding parental choice. There is NO requirement to
> PROVE vaccination for home-schooled children in the state of ND.
>
> js

Thanks. We aren't living there anymore but I'll tell you that I found dealing with the Fargo
school district a hassle and a half. Not hostile, but more of a "I'm busy... why are you bothering
me." sort of attitude. I asked about filing the paperwork without immunizations and was simply
told, "No."

-Julie

[email protected] (David Wright) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> J.Pascal <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >For what it is worth, my pediatrician in California, while not dis-recommending the "normal"
> >vaccinations, specifically advised not to vaccinate against chicken pox or flu.
>
> Did s/he say why? I could make a case for not vaccinating young children against chicken pox,
> though flu would be more problematic.

For chicken pox it was that getting it while young was less dangerous than getting it when older and
that the vaccination didn't give as good of immunity as actually having the disease, meaning that
you had a greater risk of getting chicken pox as an adult if you'd had the vaccine as a child than
if you had chicken pox as a child.

The flu might have been just that no one at the doctor's office ever suggested the immunization. But
it seems to me that at some point I was told that flu vaccines were most recommended for people in
frail health or otherwise at risk.

The military shot us all up if for no other reason than to avoid having people miss work.

> For chicken pox it was that getting it while young was less dangerous than getting it when older
> and that the vaccination didn't give as good of immunity as actually having the disease, meaning
> that you had a greater risk of getting chicken pox as an adult if you'd had the vaccine as a child
> than if you had chicken pox as a child.

BUT if you get chicken pox as a child it can come back when you are an adult and give you shingles
(sp?) At the minimum it is a PITA, at worse it can bring chronic pain and even blindness! (The virus
infects the central nervous sysem.)

That said, on the advice of our kid's doctor, we didn't get the chicken pox shots and within 30 days
of that decison the first one came down with the POX!

In article <[email protected]>,
J.Pascal <[email protected]> wrote:
>[email protected] (David Wright) wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> In article <[email protected]>,
>> J.Pascal <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >For what it is worth, my pediatrician in California, while not dis-recommending the "normal"
>> >vaccinations, specifically advised not to vaccinate against chicken pox or flu.
>>
>> Did s/he say why? I could make a case for not vaccinating young children against chicken pox,
>> though flu would be more problematic.
>
>For chicken pox it was that getting it while young was less dangerous than getting it when older
>and that the vaccination didn't give as good of immunity as actually having the disease, meaning
>that you had a greater risk of getting chicken pox as an adult if you'd had the vaccine as a child
>than if you had chicken pox as a child.

I'd agree with that, though I think the extent of the immunity conferred by the vaccine is still
unclear. The other poster who mentioned the possibility of shingles later in life is also correct,
of course. I don't know if we know whether the strain of virus used in the chickenpox vaccine can
cause shingles. (One would hope not, but we don't always get what we hope for.)

>The flu might have been just that no one at the doctor's office ever suggested the immunization.
>But it seems to me that at some point I was told that flu vaccines were most recommended for people
>in frail health or otherwise at risk.

That's true, but it may turn out to be too limited, as we look at the children who died from the flu
this year. (I admit that this year's vaccine might not have helped them much.)

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net These are my opinions only, but they're almost always
correct. "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my
shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)

On 27 Feb 2004 01:48:41 GMT, [email protected] (Jan) wrote:

>>Subject: Re: Homeschoolers to be vaccinated From: Peter Bowditch [email protected] Date:

>>right

>>>Irrelevant.
>>>
>>>Jan
>>
>>So you think that dying children are irrelevant? I'm glad we cleared that up.
>
>We didn't clear anything up. Your twisting is noted.
>
>No one makes decisions as to when one will die. That is God's job.
>
>Thanks for showing an excellent example of the *gang*,
>
>Jan

And vaccinations are God's job, too ?

Regards,

Aribert Deckers
--
Die Noni-Connection : http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_wies.htm
http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_no15.htm http://www.ariplex.com/ama/ama_no12.htm

On 28 Feb 2004 20:17:06 -0800, [email protected] (J.Pascal) wrote:

>For what it is worth, my pediatrician in California, while not dis-recommending the "normal"
>vaccinations, specifically advised not to vaccinate against chicken pox or flu.

Advising not to immunize against the two diseases that each cause more deaths each year in the U.S.
than all other vaccine preventable diseases combined is pretty damn gutsy, to say the least. Add to
that the fact that, in our culture, an error of omission (i.e., not doing something, especially
something such as this which is deemed to be the standard of care) is typically judged to be far
worse than an error of commission (i.e., doing something within the standard of care but with a risk
of harm). That doctor had better make sure his liability premiums are paid on time.

PF

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:32:21 GMT, [email protected] (David
Wright) wrote:

>I'd agree with that, though I think the extent of the immunity conferred by the vaccine is still
>unclear. The other poster who mentioned the possibility of shingles later in life is also correct,
>of course. I don't know if we know whether the strain of virus used in the chickenpox vaccine can
>cause shingles. (One would hope not, but we don't always get what we hope for.)

Although we do know that vaccinating adults who have already had natural varicella actually
prevents shingles.

PF

"King George John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > For chicken pox it was that getting it while young was less dangerous than getting it when older
> > and that the vaccination didn't give as good of immunity as actually having the disease, meaning
> > that you had a greater risk of getting chicken pox as an adult if you'd had the vaccine as a
> > child than if you had chicken pox as a child.
>
> BUT if you get chicken pox as a child it can come back when you are an
adult
> and give you shingles (sp?) At the minimum it is a PITA, at worse it
can
> bring chronic pain and even blindness! (The virus infects the
central
> nervous sysem.)
>
> That said, on the advice of our kid's doctor, we didn't get the
chicken pox
> shots and within 30 days of that decison the first one came down with
the
> POX!

Before the vaccines were available, one of my nieces came down with the pox. My other SIL ran right
over there with her kids so that they would get them.

I guess chicken pox parties were fairly common in the "olden days".

Ray

[email protected] (abacus) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (J.Pascal) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > [email protected] (abacus) wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > In North Dakota all homeschooled children must be registered with the public school district.
> > That registration includes proof of immunization. Nothing new.
>
> News to me. In my state, not such proof is required. I consider it one of the minor bonuses of
> homeschooling that I can make my own decisions about such matters without having to worry about
> running afoul of the law.
>
> Thanks for the info.

You're welcome.

js

PF Riley wrote:
> Although we do know that vaccinating adults who have already had natural varicella actually
> prevents shingles.
>
> PF

Do we know that? There was a trial that showed enhanced cell-mediated immunity, but I did not think
there had yet been a published trial showing a decrease in clinical shingles. Can you point me to
the study?

--
David Rind [email protected]