Homophobia amoungst cyclists

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by ajcoles, Oct 4, 2004.

1. BassDave

BassDave New Member

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I totally agree with this post.

I lothe the term "homophobic" because of it's seemingly absoluteness. It denotes a negative terminology to someone who personally doesn't agree with the gay/lesbian/transgender lifestyle.

I personally don't agree with the lifestyle, but I surely do not dislike them, and I certainly do not fear them! My wife works with a girl who is a lesbian, and we all hang out on a few occations. She's a nice girl.

At any rate, I'm not sure how that word became mainstream, but it really is offensive, and mostly untrue of the majority of persons who don't agree with the lifestyle.

2. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

Not a prob here...I think I could live for weeks on just bagels and lox. Denali by mountain bike+trailer is going to be a bit more difficult.

3. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

Feel free to send eMail about cycling in Israel (you, too, Weisse Luft).

4. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

Feel free to send eMail about cycling in Israel.

5. dirtygirl

dirtygirl New Member

I have to aggree with ejglows, I am the same all the way down, except I eat meat. But...don't hate me for it!
    ;)

6. pomod

pomod New Member

Calling it "lifestyle” kind of implies its a chosen aesthetic like I choose to be a surfer or I'm into Feng shue. Is it my lifestyle that I really dig Brunettes? Really, what's to agree or disagree with? As I read the debates in the papers about same sex marriges I have to ask "who really cares", what does someone elses orientation really have to do with me? And what does it have to do with any of you. I think it was Dennis Miller who said when he heard about gay marrige he was dead set against it until he realized that he didn't actually have to marry a gay guy. I also have a lot of friends who are gay, and they're great people with well adjusted families - yes some are even parents, gasp! They are completely normal in every sense of the word. Quantifying homosexuality as a lifestyle that one agrees or disagrees with is a judgement. Judging others based on such an personal and what frankly should be a trivial quality is nothing short of pathetic and can only come from an irrational fear of the "other". -- They're my friends but I don"t agree with how they live their life because its different from mine. -- It is indeed phobic. If two people love each other than that's great I say. nuff said.

7. BassDave

BassDave New Member

I'm not sure, but are you saying that I am pathetic in the way I feel? That's rather close minded! I'm confused. I thought I made my point clear. I do NOT fear someone because of their sexual orientation. And "Lifestyle" is just another one of those buzz words that this has been seen used while discussing this topic, it's not MY word. Also, you're assuming that it is a definite scientific proof that someone is born having the orientation they exhibit. I'm not convinced of that.

8. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

A true example: I am a vegetarian. Some of my veggie friends resent meat eaters, call them murderes etc. As much as I can find so many reasons to resent meat eating, I have to admit that - based on *my* beliefs - I have to accept, and I mean truly accept, everybody's right to eat whatever they want. And further - even if I resent meat eating, that should not make me resent meat eaters. You know, "some of my best friends...":rolleyes:

9. Weisse Luft

Weisse Luft New Member

My libertarianism is showing. South Park, episode 614. Rerun last night on Comedy Central.

10. DOC69

DOC69 New Member

Ferris Bueller on tolerance:

"It's understanding that makes it possible for people like us to tolerate a person like yourself."

:D

11. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

Of course! You draw the line where it fits your beliefs. Not everyone can be your friend, and some are enemies by virtue (You cannot make a terrorist your friend, even if you think you could). Acceptance refers to people whose lifestyle or whatever you choose to call it does not affect yours. Why should you resent such a person? You may choose to make friends or not with people for any reason in the world, breast size included (I am definitely not a PC advocate) - I did not expect you to be my friend. Also, the word tolerance might imply indifference, which is another problem in our alianated society.
    BTW, I truly accept tobbacco smokers. Having smoked myself, and unlike most ex-smokers - I succeeded in quitting only when I learned to accept other people's right to smoke and live with it. As long as you don't puff directly into my face its OK with me, passive smoking is just another PC nonsense.

12. pomod

pomod New Member

I'm saying someone else’s "lifestyle" is their own business not yours or mine and definitely not the states. Whether you agree or disagree is inmaterial and an opinion you can only reach by viewing it as other to your own. That establishes a hierarchy of one "life style" is better than the next or more moral than the next and who are you or anyone to declare that. That kind of judgment is irrational when we are talking about something as benign as sexual orientation hence the term homophobic. Whether a person is genetically predisposed or is socialized to be homosexual is immaterial. One thing that is socialized however, is any opinion you or I may have on gender orientation.

13. superclimber

superclimber New Member

So, why post a thread and ask a question that begs for opinions or responses and at the same time completely contradicts itself. I mean "I decided to determine how prevalent homophobia is amongst cyclists" to " so if other cyclists had a problem with homophobia they may well keep it to themselves" in the same statement.

what the hell is that man????:confused:

14. Saucy

Saucy New Member

Eating meat and smoking are not appropriate analogies to being gay. The first two are a choice. Being gay is not a choice.

Why is everyone so uptight about the term “homophobic”? There are many terms in the english language that do not mean their literal translation. Considering the continual misuse and abuse of the english language I think this term is one of the less offensive bunglings. The only way I can see someone having a problem with this term is if they are actually homophobic themselves.

I think everyone has the right to their personal opinion and I don’t think that it is homophobic to say that someone finds gay-ness distasteful. Frankly I am repulsed by a lot of heterosexual sex (say for example the thought of James Carville and Mary Matalin together). Does that make me heterophobic? No! It makes me ugly-phobic.

We make judgements all the time about people’s lifestyles. I judge people constantly. Frankly, if I didn’t judge people, I think my life would lose meaning. I would have to take up a hobby or something.

The issue is whether this judgement or personal/religious opinion should have bearing on public policy and whether civil rights of gay people should be violated because of one’s own personal beliefs. If someone wants to be a “homophobe” in their personal life, then they can go right ahead as long as they do not violate the rights and liberties of gay people. Of course, if they were to confide their homophobic opinions to me then I may very well spit on them.

Also, smokers suck! There should be a constitutional amendment banning those arseholes from being with 50 feet of me.

15. cheapie

cheapie New Member

i disagree with
    but...

;)

16. TrekDedicated

TrekDedicated New Member

First of all, being gay is a choice, anyways,

If they ride so be it, just get on the bike and ride. I may not agree with their lifestyle, but if they ride well, I'll ride with them most likely

When I'm riding my bike, politics, worries, and everything else just goes away. Cycling is an escape, let's keep it that way

17. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

Mild homophobia is acceptable among cyclist i think...

well, think about it, youve got some guy that shaves his legs and wears lycra tights so his masculinity is already compromised. Attempting to disassociate himself with gays is probably perfectly natural when your wearing girls clothes but dont want to send out the wrong message. :D

18. cheapie

cheapie New Member

bwahahahaha....too funny.

19. Carrera

Carrera New Member

Sexual orientation seems to me to an influence of culture to some extent. When I travelled around Russia and the Baltic States of Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia, I noticed that a huge percentage of women in Lativa were either bisexual or lesbian. However, the lesbian or bisexual women were also highly feminine, not butch in any way.
    However, when I crossed to Estonia, I found most women were heterosexual. I told an Estonian friend what I found in Latvia and he said he found it kind of odd.
    If you take a newspaper in Latvia and search the singles adds, the women seeking women column dwarfs the women seeking men.
    In Moscow and central Russia it's not quite the same. The majority of Moscow women are hetero, although very many are bi-curious.
    In the U.S and the U.K. I don't get the impression that very many women are bisexual or lesbian. There's a few bi-curious women in the U.K. but you don't see women cuddling and holding hands on the metro like you do in some parts of Russia.

20. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

I think you are confusing Homosexuality with cross dressing.
    Maybe there should be a thread on that also.
    Maybe there should be some manly blue jeans with crotch padding.