Homophobia amoungst cyclists

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by ajcoles, Oct 4, 2004.

1. MountainPro

MountainPro New Member

err...no,

perhaps you missed the joke..

2. szbert

szbert New Member

"Homophobia" is an ignorant term used by ignorant liberal scum bags. I have no "fear" of homosexuals. But their perversions are repulsive. I don't care if someone on the group ride or in the race peleton is homosexual. It has no bearing on anything relevant. It is the public display and discussion of their perverse behavior that is repugnant to moral people.

3. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Could be I haven't really been following this thread, anyway I wasn't being serious.

4. szbert

szbert New Member

Diversity is just more political correctness social censoring. People need to stand up against immorality and evil. Homosexuals should not be feared, or hated, or ostricized. That doesn't mean you have to accept their actions. You can hate the sin, and love the sinner.

5. DOC69

DOC69 New Member

I'm kinda curious...most people who are against homosexuals often describe them as "immoral", "evil", "sinners", etc. I wonder if they can describe their feelings without the religous overtones. Or is it all about religious beliefs?

6. szbert

szbert New Member

Morality is based in religion. Where else would you get morality? Those who say, "from my heart" or "I just know what is right" have a selfish attitude that would justify 6 billion moralities, and an anything goes culture.
    Those who say, "I'm not judgemental" are just weak minded.

7. pomod

pomod New Member

Unfortunately for you, we aren't supposed to discuss religious points of view on this thread. That's probably because any opinion based on a religious perspective is ideological and consequently doesn’t carry any real weight in an intellectual discussion. I posted earlier that whether homosexuality is socialized or not (I suspect not but I guess the homosexuals out there can say better) any points of view we have on the topic definitely are. To state unequivocally that something is perverse is to measure it against a sense of normality that is culturally and socially determined -- your religion has obviously coloured yours. To judge anything, homosexuals included on religious grounds is simply self righteous and serves no purpose other than to prop up your own ideology in your own mind as superior. To be clear religion and morality have very little to do with each other; any ethics 101 or high school history class should tell you this.

8. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I'm not gay myself but I really couldn't care less whether anyone is gay, straight or lesbian or whatever.
    It's odd you believe that to be non-judgemental is akin to being weak-minded, though. As one of my fields of study is ancient history I can safely assert that bisexuality was basically the norm in ancient Egypt, Greece or Rome. In fact the emperor Hadrian (amongst many other emperors was gay).

9. keydates

keydates New Member

Ah religion, the double-edged sword...

10. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

Morality and religion are connected to each other, but you don't have to be religious to be moral. Religion tells people how to live their own life. It doesn't tell them how others should run their lives.
    My boss is gay. We've been to countless Cubs games together. He's no different from anyone else, but many treat him differently when they learn he's gay. I don't know why people can't let others just live their own lives. I deal with people everyday that do things I don't approve of but their still my friends. If someone is gay that is their decision(?), whether I approve or not is irrelevant.

(?) I don't know if being gay is a choice or biological.

11. ejglows

ejglows New Member

Here is an exercise...write down all the reasons why someone would choose to be gay....would you decide to be gay yourself?

#1. You cannot legally marry the person you love.
    #2. Many religious factions/sects decry your behavior as `immoral` or `sodomistic`
    #3. You do not get partner benefits
    #4. In some states you cannot adopt
    #5.As you mentioned above, your friend is subjected to differing treatment depending on whether or not he is known as a gay man, or simply as just another guy.
    #6 You have no control over death proceedings
    and the list goes on...

*choice* infers that there has been a cognitive/educated decision made. After all the facts are weighed....who would choose this? :confused:

e

12. zapper

zapper Banned

I'm not sure if choice is the right word. I think it is still a mystery. However, having said that. My personal opinion is that I don't think you should legally marry. However, a legal partnership is fully understandable and deserved. 2. Yes, and for a reason. 3. Like I said, you should receive parter benefits but not marriage due to number 2. 4. I am sorry but I wouldn't want you adopting my kid. I wouldn't trust you to make sure that you would market the mainstream lifestyle over you own. You should be able to have control over your partners death proceedings.

Where I draw the line is adoption. By choosing your lifestyle you are not creating a union that can create a child naturally so why should you be able to raise them. Marriage..it is sacred and should not be tarnished by your lifestyle.

Bottome line, I would not treat you any different that anyone else just don't A. come on to me. B. Don't push the marriage issue and C. Don't try to adopt my kid.

Other than that you can do whatever you want, have all the benefits you want eieio....

Sorry, just the way I've been raised and the way I truly feel.

13. pomod

pomod New Member

Exactly, I agree 100%

14. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

I could care less if its a choice or not. It is none of my business why someone is gay.

15. Ruedy

Ruedy New Member

Homophobes in cycling?...............WHO cares?

16. BassDave

BassDave New Member

When it comes to cycling, driving, shopping, eating out, etc,. . . . .it doesn't matter whether the person is gay or not.

I am going to be honest. I hope you will understand as it is a matter of my faith. I was raised in the christian tradition. The Bible states that homosexuality is morally wrong. However, I don't take that to mean that I dislike people who are gay, or shun them. Even Jesus ate with people that the Pharases [religious leaders] saw as 'wicked'. Jesus loved the people, even if he didn't agree with what they did or how they lived. So, if I make fun or harm a person just because he/she is gay/lesbian, I find myself in a position of 'being more pious' than even Jesus. That's wrong thinking. My friend Elizabeth [who is a lesbian] is one of the nicest people I know. Since the Bible says it is immoral, and since I have Christianity as my faith, to agree with homosexuality would be going against what God has laid down as immoral. And since I'm not God, and unless I want to renounce my faith, then I will procede with the understanding that homosexuality is wrong. I'm still going to hang out with Elizabeth from time to time, and I never talk about it and DEFINITELY would never make it an issue against her.

But back to the topic of the thread, gay or not, it's good that people ride bikes. Makes a person healthier. :)

17. Ruedy

Ruedy New Member

I think Jesus's (I'm not getting religous here) main point for us to remember and run with is that we should serve one another.........Judging a gay person (whether homosexuality is biblically right or wrong), a person of color, another nationality, whatever, is NOT my task. That is God's realm........I've got my own sins to deal with. That's enough for me.......As to other folks, God put them here too.

18. cheapie

cheapie New Member

......werd!

19. szbert

szbert New Member

Providing that 'ethics' class or high school history class is taught by a pablum puking lib.

20. szbert

szbert New Member

1) I Don't care much about ancient perversity. Those you listed were all pagans.
    2) I Don't care if someone on the group ride or in the race peleton is homosexual, hetersexual, asexual or other. Mostly care about them pointing out potholes, being good company on the ride and basically being decent riders.
    3) The title of the thread is flawed. Homophobia is a stupid term coined to deride those who do not agree that homosexual behavior is normal and moral.