Homophobia amoungst cyclists

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by ajcoles, Oct 4, 2004.

1. szbert

szbert New Member

You can't post a thread about homosexuality and NOT have discussion about morality, and thus religion. If these subjects are verboten, that's OK - wipe out the ENTIRE thread. I'd rather find out how I can service my sealed bottom bracket myself anyway.:)

2. pomod

pomod New Member

I have a sense that you likely dropped out long before then. I don't have all day to point out the atrocities that have been committed throughout history in the name of religion, but they are well documented. Likewise, there are millions of people who live respectably "moral" or "ethical" lives without an affiliation to any religion. I understand that for many people, religion serves a legitimate function in reconciling their particular world view, but it really has little to do with morality. I don't know why I'm wasting my time rebutting your obviously ignorant post. "Pabulum puking lib" doesn't sound very tolerant to me, isn't that one of the moral lessons of your religion? Then again if you were tolerant, you yourself would be a "lib" and that type of open mindedness is obviously threatening to you.

3. pomod

pomod New Member

BTW, concepts such as "normal" or "moral" are and will always be subjective. they are culturally and socially specific; ergo, they can only really be applied to yourself and how you govern your own behavior.
    Hence the term self-rightous when one attempts to map them onto others.

4. Azrael

Azrael New Member

Still don't get it why people think homosexuallity is wrong..............

I've seen males kiss I don't care.........
    I've also heard gay people talk about all kind of subjects.....I don't care....

What's wrong with it? I'm straigt myself but I don't think there is anything wrong with it. Most of them are great guys.

5. szbert

szbert New Member

"Tolerance" is just political correctness social censorship for "You don't accept my stupidty/perversity/idiocy." Of course, these same pablum puking tolerant libs are not tolerant of those who disagree with them.

6. szbert

szbert New Member

The twisted logic (or the total lack of logic) of libs is amusing unless coupled with power.

7. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

What's illogical here? You assume that there is one right way for everyone, and that the freedom of choise is either do the (only) right thing or make a mistake, which means that you are stupid, pervert or whatever, but "we smart and moral people tolerate you for that". :rolleyes:
    The only truly immoral behaviour is being judgemental of others. I have friends who made choises I find very hard to accept, such as turning ultra-orthodox or going on drugs :( (these are quite similar), and as long as I can draw the line and be myself with them I can accept their choises, otherwise I will have to give up:(. I have friends who are extremists on different ends of the political map - as long as we respect each other we can be friends. I can even respect people who feel sad for me for my choises in life, since I know they mean no harm and I can accept that. But judgement? Be your own judge first! and last!:mad:
    Whatever road you take in life, you will be wrong to assume that it is the right one for everybody, or even the right one for anyone else but yourself.

8. cheapie

cheapie New Member

lol. so...lemme get this straight. it's ok for you to tell us we're wrong for judging others? but isn't it wrong for you to assume that your road is the right one for us? hehe...Ay, there's the rub

your argument has a flaw doesn't it? and don't you feel dumb actually saying "The only truly immoral behaviour is being judgemental of others"? so, if i sleep with women and give them aids and drive over someone on the way home from a night of drinking and then spray paint the mona lisa with cheddar whizzy i haven't done anything immoral because i haven't been judgemental of others? think your statements through before regurgitating something you heard from someone else.

9. bishan

bishan New Member

What planet are you from? That "do anything you want, be free, free love" bul$h!t from the 60's was wrong then, and it's wrong now.
    Answer this question: If you're a father, would you go out of your way to teach your son about homosexuality and how to be one and say that, hey, it's OK, experiment?
    Or would you rather that he be a normal, hetersexual MAN.

what rot! You would love a world of no standards. That's just sick.

10. szbert

szbert New Member

Well said! But the libs are incable of understanding logic, especially when it's in combination with testosterone, as most them have been, as you say, emasculated.

11. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

Good point. As I said - I can accept criticism from my friends and family, knowing that they mean well and will accept me the way I am. I doubt if the "moral" point of view falls into that category. I cannot accept your judgement whatever that is - whether you approve or not is irrelevant unless we are friends of some sort and care for each other.

12. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

First, being a homosexual is difficult and painful, mainly because so many people will hate you for that (I can see a few examples here and there:rolleyes:), and I wish my child to be happy. Second, there is no reason for someone to be homosexual if he (or she) is not, and I haven't seen such cases in my life. Third, you are human and may and should express your feelings about such things, especially as a parent. Your child should learn to accept *you* just as well. You may educate your children the way you find right as long as you learn to accept them the way they are.
    In general - you choose certain moral standards that will guide you in life, and you follow them. You fight for what you believe in, which I find wonderful, but it does not make you any better than others.
    Society needs standards, and we have to compromise with it in order to live in a society. But these are never absolute, and when they disagree with mine I have to make my choise. It may seem as if I am a "totally freedom" person - actually I believe in law and order (I work for the army:eek:). But not blindly. And moral is and must be personal.

13. iknowtest

iknowtest New Member

I haven't seen anyone express hate, or even dislike of homosexuals here. Lack of acceptance of an abnormal activity does not constitute hate.

14. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

There may have been some, but I was referring to the general public. Still, you mentioned abnormal activity - is cycling normal? Not in this country. Is commuting by cycling normal? Absolutely not in this country. The line between lack of acceptance and hate goes when your disapproval turns into rejection and discrimination, it is indeed a very fine line.

15. iknowtest

iknowtest New Member

You are confusing common activity with normal activitiy.
    It is common for adults to drive a car. It is uncommon (in the USA) for an adult to NOT have a drivers license (OK, Except for NYC)
    Cyclists may be uncommon in your area, and, except for Saturday mornings, they're uncommon here too. But they are not abnormal (Let's not get into the lycra/chamoix thing:) )

It is normal for a man to kiss a woman
    It is abnormal for a man to kiss a man.
    It may be common in San Francisco, but it is still abnormal.

16. pomod

pomod New Member

My post was completely logical. which part was beyond you?

On the other hand, I have no idea what you're on about here. Tolerance is censorship? :confused: Like by questioning your ideologically driven notions of normalacy and morality I'm somehow tramping on your rights to go on spewing your ignorant rant against or homosexuals (and this the hilarious part) "libs" as in liberals i.e.,those who have a broader world view than you do?
    Too much.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think.

17. ItsikH

ItsikH New Member

I am *truly* sorry to inform you that in Israel road cycling is abnormal in your terms. An adult is supposed to own a car and drive it to work or anywhere else. Cycling is at best a weekend sport, it is mainly for children and youth. It is discouraged by every possible factor - workplaces, police etc. (wives also:). Roadies are considered suicidal, which is of course abnormal.
    And it is truly ridiculous: Our country is small, mostly flat, good roads (if it weren't for the drivers of course), it scaresly rains, and you could always take a bus or train on those few rainy days if you don't feel like getting wet. People simply insist on getting stuck in traffic and searching for parking every day.
    And BTW, in many societies men hugging and kissing is perfectly normal, while lovers are not expected to express love in public.

18. BassDave

BassDave New Member

Bored now.

19. zapper

zapper Banned

No, I think the rub is this...I do think that most people that oppose your opinion agree with the following.

Do you have a right to be gay? Absolutely.

Do you have a right to impose that lifestyle on me or my Kids? NO

Do you have a right to the financial benefit of a couple and afforded all the financial benefits of a union? Absolutely.

Should you be able to enter into "marriage"? NO

Face it. The homo lifestyle is different the hetero lifestyle. We as humans weren’t built to reproduce in that fashion thus a gay couple can not reproduce naturally so it makes sense to call their "union" something different and not destroy the sanctity of marriage. It makes sense not to force abnormal lifestyle on my child. If my child should happen to end up that way so be it, I don’t want it a part of his/her curriculum

20. bishan

bishan New Member

Sounds like too many places in the US. Although the wine country in Northern California is for the most part, pretty awesome for riding.