Homophobia amoungst cyclists

Carrera said:
...Maybe the best option is to keep marriage for hetero couples but grant minority couples the same rights as in marriage and have a secular ceremony?

If that were doable, sure. But I don't think the hypocritical Religious Right/neo-cons/Republicans would go for that anymore than they will accept straight out same-sex marriage.

What of those gay couples that may believe a "standard", non-secular marriage is necessary to their religious belief system? Should they not be extended the same religious rights as...the Religious Right?

Wurm said:
If that were doable, sure. But I don't think the hypocritical Religious Right/neo-cons/Republicans would go for that anymore than they will accept straight out same-sex marriage.

What of those gay couples that may believe a "standard", non-secular marriage is necessary to their religious belief system? Should they not be extended the same religious rights as...the Religious Right?
And what major religion in the world see homosexuality as standard???? And why do people who disagree with homosexuality are always labeled hypocrictical. I have a belief and that belief see homosexuality as wrong. I know it is not going with the touchty feely crowd but my belief should be given as much respect as any others who disagree with me. If you ask me about GOD I will happily share him, but I don't go out of my way saying you are going to Hell if you are homosexual. God will be your judge not I.

Lord loving Mr. Crit.......

crithater said:
And what major religion in the world see homosexuality as standard???? And why do people who disagree with homosexuality are always labeled hypocrictical. I have a belief and that belief see homosexuality as wrong. I know it is not going with the touchty feely crowd but my belief should be given as much respect as any others who disagree with me. If you ask me about GOD I will happily share him, but I don't go out of my way saying you are going to Hell if you are homosexual. God will be your judge not I.

Lord loving Mr. Crit.......
It's in Leviticus I think where it says homos are "bad", right? But also in Leviticus or Exodus is where it says not to touch women having menstrual cycles, or those in debt can't go to church, and a whole slew of ridiculous, stupid ancient taboos. Do you follow all of those too, or just the ones that are good for cherry-picking?

And who or what told you that anything is going to "judge" me - God or otherwise? Got proof? I think not.

The only ones I know of that are "touchy feely" are the so-called "Christians", those wonderful "do-gooders" (at least in their own minds) that like to touch & feel each other, but scorn other human beings that don't happen to live or believe the way they do.

Pro-war, pro-greed, and Pro-death penalty, and yet they call themselves "Pro-life".

HYP-O-CRITE.

as the WURM turns..

since we're labeling and bashing here, it's bad to be a part of the "religious right" and the "pro life" types is that correct?

does this suppose then it would be good to be a part of the "anti-God left" or "anti life" types?

wow, how much fun is this?

by the way, for the folks remarking that Republicans are all racists - Gov Wallace was a Democrat and wasn't it just recently the the sainted elder Democratic senator Robert Byrd got into hot water for using the "N" word?

boy, having grown up in the deep south really makes me grateful for the well spring of enlightenment this list has to offer!

rkcohen said:
as the WURM turns..

since we're labeling and bashing here, it's bad to be a part of the "religious right" and the "pro life" types is that correct?

does this suppose then it would be good to be a part of the "anti-God left" or "anti life" types?

wow, how much fun is this?

by the way, for the folks remarking that Republicans are all racists - Gov Wallace was a Democrat and wasn't it just recently the the sainted elder Democratic senator Robert Byrd got into hot water for using the "N" word?

boy, having grown up in the deep south really makes me grateful for the well spring of enlightenment this list has to offer!
It doesn't suppose anything other than the Religious Right and Neo-Cons are a bunch of extremist nut-jobs. There's plenty of proof of that, and I don't have to go back to the 1970's to find examples.

rkcohen said:
watch this...

****er.

Shall i say it again?

****er ****er ****er.

Calling it "the N-word" helps no one, other than those who want isolation from whites.

I am extremely ****** off with some, and the majority of, this nation's blacks.

By inventing a new genre of music in which blacks verbally depict heinious crimes and abuse of women, these said blacks have no right to speak about racism, for they are deliberately isolating themselves from the whites. I believe that they thrive on what they believe to be hate; they like to be the spoiled child who doesn't get half the punishment he deserves.

They are bent on making ****er strictly "their word." they believe that they can call each other ****er, but whites must not, or we'll get "Iced." They have gone so far as to set up stand up comedy in which a young black man makes fun of whites for hours on end. I would be assaulted, defamed, and most likely brutally murdered were I to say the things that they say against whites about blacks. and yet they feel that it is completely acceptable for them to do just that to whites, based on the fact that they were sprayed with fire-hoses and opressed by whites up until the 50's. Gays face greater opression today than blacks, in my opinion. they are righteous, as they do not refer to one another with the same insult that is thrown at them. Would a gay call another a ***? Also, the blacks i speak of have no problem insulting gays, laughing at gay marriage and driving trucks with "homosexuality is a sin" spraypainted onto them. I know... I went to school with the buggers, and was wounded many times over this, emotionally and physically.

In short, I find it absolutely disgusting that blacks feel that they can attack whites for using a word that they themselves almost exclusively abuse nowadays. There are two ways to repair this; either no one calls another ****er, which is the better solution. Or, the word ****er is used so often in everyday life that people will drop the high negative current it now carries. I know which one has a chance of ever happening. So, call fellow whites and blacks ****er until the word becomes powerless, and it will no longer be used.

What do you think, Mah ****as? I gonna go be rollin in the hood wit mah homies now.

ajcoles said:
Considering the response I got from one of the other members on the Bill Clinton poll I decided to make a poll to determine how prevailent homophobia is amoungst cyclists. I live in a very liberal city so if other cyclists had a problem with homophobia they may well keep it to themselves,
i dont know about homophobia but never admit anything if your transgender or you wont be welcome on the bunch ride you have riden for 10 years

Black people use these racial insults as a means of classifying a so-called Uncle Tom. When one black guy insults another black guy (maybe in a friendly way) it's all about the Uncle Tom scenario. But for me to use the same word would cause offence to blacks for obvious reasons.
To give you an example, look how Ali used such insults towards Frazier: Uncle Tom, gorilla, white man's champ e.t.c. e.t.c. Ali was projecting himself as a man of his own people while Frazier (a baptist Christian) was supposed to be a conformist.
When Ali fought Chuck Wepner (the real Rocky) he wanted Wepner to racially insult him in order to drum up money for the fight. But Wepner had many black friends and refused to take that line.
I would never use this word to black people or behind their backs. It kind of offends me and is a sign of ignorance and bigotry. But for blacks to use the words amongst themselves is kind of different. It has certain civil rights undertones.