Honest, I was just riding along when....

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gary Jacobson, May 22, 2003.

  1. Honest, I was just riding along when....

    all of the sudden it seemed like my chain got stuck and then it freed up and then it got stuck. And
    then both my Mavic long cage derailure and the derailure hanger bent. The derailure got torn up
    good. Of interest was the bottom pulley that was squared off.

    I have no idea of the sequence, but do wonder if the original Mavic pulley could have broken and
    then caused the chain to abruptly stop while I was peddling hard which caused the derailure and
    hanger to get pulled into my spokes.

    Are derailure pulleys known to break during use? Or maybe something else caused the sequence of
    events to happen and the pulley got squared off when it got sucked into the wheel spokes.

    But honest, I was just riding along. Didn't hit nor run over anything.

    Anyone have an inner cage for the Mavic touring derailure they can part with? The threads on mine
    are stripped.

    Gary Jacobson Rosendale, NY

    Tags:

  2. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    Pebble in the pulley, stopping it; you pedalled the derailleur up over the cogs, and the hanger has
    to bend to accommodate it, making it hit the spokes.

    Or (if you're on large cog and large chainwheel) the chain isn't long enough and skipped, taking too
    much slack when there was no more slack to be had.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Gary Jacobson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Honest, I was just riding along when....
    >
    >all of the sudden it seemed like my chain got stuck and then it freed up and then it got stuck. And
    >then both my Mavic long cage derailure and the derailure hanger bent. The derailure got torn up
    >good. Of interest was the bottom pulley that was squared off.
    >
    >I have no idea of the sequence, but do wonder if the original Mavic pulley could have broken and
    >then caused the chain to abruptly stop while I was peddling hard which caused the derailure and
    >hanger to get pulled into my spokes.
    >
    >Are derailure pulleys known to break during use? Or maybe something else caused the sequence of
    >events to happen and the pulley got squared off when it got sucked into the wheel spokes.
    >
    >But honest, I was just riding along. Didn't hit nor run over anything.

    Like Ron said, possibly a pebble in the chain. It also could have been a side plate popping loose on
    the chain (that would be easy enough to verify since it would still be loose).

  4. Mikeyankee

    Mikeyankee Guest

    >Pebble in the pulley

    Happened to me several years ago. Happened on a group ride, going about 25 mph at the time. I still
    remember the smell of burning rubber where the tire rubbed against a seatstay. Luckily I didn't
    crash. Trashed the rear derailleur and both dropouts.

    Mike Yankee

    (Address is munged to thwart spammers. To reply, delete everything after "com".)