Honour is restored ... sort of

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

    > That's alright for you blokes who just have to whip out the willie,

    Not if you're wearing bib tights ;-)

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  2. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Andrew Sweetman wrote:
    > James Annan <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Alan Young?

    Doesn't ring a bell, it was several years ago (in Bedford). But I think there are quite a lot of
    them about, if you look carefully...(CTC rides for example!)

    James

  3. Mads Hilberg

    Mads Hilberg Guest

    > 'bents tend to be a bit slower going up, but quite a lot quicker coming down.

    This is still hotly debated and highly controversial. Personally I only think it counts for very
    steep hills - in rolling terrain the aero benefit of the recumbent combined with the better position
    for breathing (leaning over handlebars on a normal bike does not provide for optimal lung capacity)
    and the ability to push against the back of the seat (rather than having to rely on gravity pushing
    one onto the pedals) are of greater benefit than being able to stand up and swing the bike from side
    to side and the slightly lower weight (which is not as significant when touring with full panniers
    as I do). It is however largely a question of conditioning of the rider - it takes a long time to
    get good at riding a recumbent.

    My personal experience is this (I'm 24 and of average fitness):

    After a 2700km tour on a normal DF bike I could do 140km in a day as the max, with an average speed
    of 20km/h. Without any training whatsoever and significantly lower fitness than I had after that
    tour, I can jump on my SWB USS recumbent and do 160km in a day no problems at all with an average
    speed of 25km/h.

    > Cuts both ways...

    Yes, but more in one direction than the other. :)

    Mads

  4. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > > That's alright for you blokes who just have to whip out the willie,
    >
    > Not if you're wearing bib tights ;-)

    and just think how vulnerable you'd be to the paving slab whilst answering that call !!

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Hedgehog & Markarina <[email protected]> wrote:

    > and just think how vulnerable you'd be to the paving slab whilst answering that call !!

    I spit on your paving slabs

    Tony ;-)

  6. I take it you're the author of the touring cycle piece on h2g2 then? Hilarious - should be
    recommended reading for all tourists. I was shown a spec for the Dawes Ultra Galaxy yesterday, 853
    tubes and 1200GBP RRP - just the right price point for people retired on final salary who know they
    can't take it with them when they go and sod the children as after all they're old enough to look
    after themselves and besides they'll get the house anyway.

    The Super is unchanged. Colour was described to me as 'sort of brown' - damn it, don't these people
    understand how to market bikes?! That's not 'brown', it's 'Cosmic Marmite and Herb'!

    James

    > On Sat, 25 Jan 2003 00:55:25 +0000 (UTC), "James of Staples"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I think I might have seen skeletons on them - maybe the Galaxy rides
    itself
    > >once there's enough pressure on the saddle? Any local ring road would do
    if
    > >we ever run out of burial space. It's an old peoples bike but I still
    want
    > >one!
    >
    > LOL! I bought my Galaxy in 1983, aged 19. Clearly a "young fogey."
    >
    > Guy
    > ===
    > ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
    > dynamic DNS permitting)
    > NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
    > work. Apologies.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    James of Staples wrote:
    > I take it you're the author of the touring cycle piece on h2g2 then?

    Guilty as charged :)

    > Hilarious - should be recommended reading for all tourists. I was shown a spec for the Dawes Ultra
    > Galaxy yesterday, 853 tubes and 1200GBP RRP - just the right price point for people retired on
    > final salary who know they can't take it with them when they go and sod the children as after all
    > they're old enough to look after themselves and besides they'll get the house anyway.

    Not bitter are we? Anyway, I spent nearly 2k on a bike last year, what's wrong with that? I use it
    every day for work. I met a bloke in my LBS recently who was just taking delivery of a SuperG (in
    cosmic Marmite and herb) complete with SON and all possible commuting accoutrements; he'll be riding
    it daily to work. Smart man :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    James of Staples wrote:
    > I take it you're the author of the touring cycle piece on h2g2 then?

    Guilty as charged :)

    > Hilarious - should be recommended reading for all tourists. I was shown a spec for the Dawes Ultra
    > Galaxy yesterday, 853 tubes and 1200GBP RRP - just the right price point for people retired on
    > final salary who know they can't take it with them when they go and sod the children as after all
    > they're old enough to look after themselves and besides they'll get the house anyway.

    Not bitter are we? Anyway, I spent nearly 2k on a bike last year, what's wrong with that? I use it
    every day for work. I met a bloke in my LBS recently who was just taking delivery of a SuperG (in
    cosmic Marmite and herb) complete with SON and all possible commuting accoutrements; he'll be riding
    it daily to work. Smart man :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

  9. Planning inbound with bike on train for freshest all-day 'pits then afterwards a good blast home to
    a shower. Not bitter, just observing withdrawal of final salary pensions means the typical 'silver
    pound' punter is a dying breed. Oh, sorry - unfortunate choice of words!

    James Halfway to 70