Hook grip DL - cool!

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Steve Freides, Feb 7, 2005.

  1. I tried hook grip today - cool! Other than having the skin on inside of
    my thumb slightly tenderized, it felt good. Pulled a few singles and
    doubles at 80% this way.

    Other than "ease into using it", anyone got any advice about this in
    terms of how often you train with it? My grip has never been my weak
    point yet and I'm wondering if I ought to use it only enough to get used
    to it but otherwise keep training 'normal' overhand because that will
    work my grip more. Maybe I just ought to get that thick bar I've been
    thinking about

    http://www.strongmanequipment.com/thick_bars.cfm

    $65 shipped, can't beat that

    where I can't hook grip, use that sometimes, and hook grip my regular
    bar the rest of the time. Aah, decisions, decisions, decisions.

    Anyway, hook grip seems pretty cool so far - hook grip war stories and
    words of advice solicited.

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

    Tags:

  2. "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I tried hook grip today - cool! Other than having the skin on inside
    >of my thumb slightly tenderized, it felt good. Pulled a few singles
    >and doubles at 80% this way.
    >
    > Other than "ease into using it", anyone got any advice about this in
    > terms of how often you train with it? My grip has never been my weak
    > point yet and I'm wondering if I ought to use it only enough to get
    > used to it but otherwise keep training 'normal' overhand because that
    > will work my grip more. Maybe I just ought to get that thick bar I've
    > been thinking about
    >
    > http://www.strongmanequipment.com/thick_bars.cfm
    >
    > $65 shipped, can't beat that
    >
    > where I can't hook grip, use that sometimes, and hook grip my regular
    > bar the rest of the time. Aah, decisions, decisions, decisions.
    >
    > Anyway, hook grip seems pretty cool so far - hook grip war stories and
    > words of advice solicited.
    >
    > -S-
    > http://www.kbnj.com

    Gee, I guess there are no hookers on mfw....

    -S-
    http://www.kbnj.com

  3. Hobbes

    Hobbes Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "Steve Freides"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > >I tried hook grip today - cool! Other than having the skin on inside
    > >of my thumb slightly tenderized, it felt good. Pulled a few singles
    > >and doubles at 80% this way.
    > >
    > > Other than "ease into using it", anyone got any advice about this in
    > > terms of how often you train with it? My grip has never been my weak
    > > point yet and I'm wondering if I ought to use it only enough to get
    > > used to it but otherwise keep training 'normal' overhand because that
    > > will work my grip more. Maybe I just ought to get that thick bar I've
    > > been thinking about
    > >
    > > http://www.strongmanequipment.com/thick_bars.cfm
    > >
    > > $65 shipped, can't beat that
    > >
    > > where I can't hook grip, use that sometimes, and hook grip my regular
    > > bar the rest of the time. Aah, decisions, decisions, decisions.
    > >
    > > Anyway, hook grip seems pretty cool so far - hook grip war stories and
    > > words of advice solicited.
    > >
    > > -S-
    > > http://www.kbnj.com

    > Gee, I guess there are no hookers on mfw....

    We should be so lucky.

    :^)

    IIRC, I recall a thread in the strength list where a number of lifters
    commented that it seemed like the pain factor really doesn't amount to
    anything until you get to 400 lbs or so. Greg Payne had done a 800+
    deadlift with a hook grip and he commented something along the lines of it
    feeling like his thumbs are going to pull off.

    I hook for olympic lifting, but still use a mixed grip for heavy
    deadlifts. You can carry the bar a little lower that way. If your thumbs
    get too raw taping them helps a lot.

    Dunno what else to say. Kono recommends not hooking until you have to. But
    at the same time he likes straps because it helps you focus on pulling
    with straight arms. He notes that hooking during training can also cause a
    jerky pull which he feels is not optimal. If you pull smoothly the bar
    shouldn't pull out of your hands with a normal grip.

    So it really depends on what you want. If there is no compelling reason to
    hook I really don't know why you would,

  4. "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>, "Steve Freides"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve Freides" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >> >I tried hook grip today - cool! Other than having the skin on
    >> >inside
    >> >of my thumb slightly tenderized, it felt good. Pulled a few singles
    >> >and doubles at 80% this way.
    >> >
    >> > Other than "ease into using it", anyone got any advice about this
    >> > in
    >> > terms of how often you train with it? My grip has never been my
    >> > weak
    >> > point yet and I'm wondering if I ought to use it only enough to get
    >> > used to it but otherwise keep training 'normal' overhand because
    >> > that
    >> > will work my grip more. Maybe I just ought to get that thick bar
    >> > I've
    >> > been thinking about
    >> >
    >> > http://www.strongmanequipment.com/thick_bars.cfm
    >> >
    >> > $65 shipped, can't beat that
    >> >
    >> > where I can't hook grip, use that sometimes, and hook grip my
    >> > regular
    >> > bar the rest of the time. Aah, decisions, decisions, decisions.
    >> >
    >> > Anyway, hook grip seems pretty cool so far - hook grip war stories
    >> > and
    >> > words of advice solicited.
    >> >
    >> > -S-
    >> > http://www.kbnj.com

    >> Gee, I guess there are no hookers on mfw....

    > We should be so lucky.
    >
    > :^)
    >
    > IIRC, I recall a thread in the strength list where a number of lifters
    > commented that it seemed like the pain factor really doesn't amount to
    > anything until you get to 400 lbs or so. Greg Payne had done a 800+
    > deadlift with a hook grip and he commented something along the lines
    > of it
    > feeling like his thumbs are going to pull off.
    >
    > I hook for olympic lifting, but still use a mixed grip for heavy
    > deadlifts. You can carry the bar a little lower that way. If your
    > thumbs
    > get too raw taping them helps a lot.

    Carrying the bar lower is definitely a good reason _not_ to hook grip.
    I've noticed that holding the bar tight or holding it in the hooks of my
    fingers makes a noticeable difference in how low I have to get, and
    since my weak area is off the floor, this is an important distinction
    and along the sames lines, too.

    > Dunno what else to say. Kono recommends not hooking until you have to.
    > But
    > at the same time he likes straps because it helps you focus on pulling
    > with straight arms. He notes that hooking during training can also
    > cause a
    > jerky pull which he feels is not optimal. If you pull smoothly the bar
    > shouldn't pull out of your hands with a normal grip.
    >
    > So it really depends on what you want. If there is no compelling
    > reason to
    > hook I really don't know why you would,

    I've heard a few people say they can't hold onto their heaviest weights
    any other way. And there's also the whole balance issue with the
    alternate grip - makes me a little nervous for my back. I do most of my
    training two hands over, and I think the plan is going to be to try hook
    grip when I can no longer overhand grip and see how I like that.
    Basically I'm just experimenting here - I've never used a hook grip
    before and I figure I'll do it enough to see if it's for me or not.
    Since I'm DL'ing pretty much every other day, I get plenty of chance to
    practice.

    Steve "hooker for a short time" Freides
    http://www.kbnj.com

  5. DanL

    DanL Guest

    "Hobbes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > So it really depends on what you want. If there is no compelling reason to
    > hook I really don't know why you would,

    Because it's cool! :)

    I've messed with it before. I'll stick to the mix grip for deadlifts. Lots
    of chalk helped on the hook grip but I didn't like the numb feeling that
    lasted for a while after using it. Now, if I need to do something with an
    overhand grip, like rows or shrugs, I just use straps. I'd rather worry
    about the weight I'm using than what a grip I don't use for a competition
    lift will limit me to.