hooky

• Thread starter Claire Petersky
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Claire Petersky

This whole week I've been doing not much other than eating, sleeping, and getting ready for a
professional certification exam. I put all of maybe 55 miles on the bike during the week.

I spent the morning, four hours, taking the test. It was challenging, but not grueling. I'm lucky
if I had the mental energy of a kumquat after taking the test, but physically far from exhausted. I
had a satisfying lunch. My boss was out of the office. It's a gloriously sunny, if unseasonably
warm, summer day. My bike was just sitting there at the rack in the basement of the office building
where I work.

You can imagine where this is leading. The usual 15 mile ride home wasn't going to be enough. I
decided that adding on the 11 mile loop around Mercer Island wasn't going to be enough either. So I
decided to take off quite a bit early, and ride around the bottom of the lake and add maybe another
20 miles or so on the commute home.

I filled both water bottles with ice water. It was middle of the day enough such that the traffic,
both car and bike, was very light. The lake had a summertime smell to it, and there was a nice
tailwind starting out.

At the Renton Municipal Airport, the temperature reading was 92. I toyed with dunking my feet in the
Cedar River to cool them off. I stopped at Coulon Park and refilled with water bottles. All the ice
had melted. I ran my bandana under the tap and saturated it with cold water.

A road work flagger on the Lake Washington trail said, "Isn't it too hot to be bicycling?" I
replied, "no, it's not too hot, it's great!"

After climbing the hill out of Factoria, I stripped off my jersey and finished off one of the water
bottles. Two miles from home I drained the other one, noted that the bandana was completely dry now,
and adjusted my shoes -- my feet had swollen up from the heat.

When I came home I made a half gallon of limeade. I took a cold shower, and spent some time just
running cold water on my head. The limeade was shared with my kids, who had just walked home from
school, and I think I'm going to get up from the computer and finish it off.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky ([email protected]) Home of the meditative cyclist:
http://home.earthlink.net/~cpetersky/Welcome.htm Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky

Join us for our concert June 22 http://www.tiferet.net/zeller_tiferet_poster.pdf

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] (Claire Petersky) writes:
> This whole week I've been doing not much other than eating, sleeping, and getting ready for a
> professional certification exam. I put all of maybe 55 miles on the bike during the week.
>
> I spent the morning, four hours, taking the test. It was challenging, but not grueling. I'm lucky
> if I had the mental energy of a kumquat after taking the test, but physically far from exhausted.
> I had a satisfying lunch. My boss was out of the office. It's a gloriously sunny, if unseasonably
> warm, summer day. My bike was just sitting there at the rack in the basement of the office
> building where I work.
>
> You can imagine where this is leading.

Aw, man, you're torturing me! <whimper> :)

I've been stuck inside all June, working. I'm still laid-off from my "real" job, and so have fallen
back on my "spare job" of typing documentary transcripts. One was about a blind woman competition
tandem cyclist and her training partners. Right now I'm stuck typing a photocopy of a hand-written
shoot-log from hell. The harder I work, the more the "done" stack seems to shrink and the "to do"
stack grows. And it's Bike Month here, and I'm missing out on all the events. Grrr. But ... gotta
make some scratch -- pay rent, eat, Pauline's birthday coming up, etc. Oh, well. My day will come.
Glad ya had a good one, yourself :)

cheers, Tom

--