Hooray 4 Ken

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 14:08:12 -0000, "Michael Anderson" <[email protected]> wrote:

>often hear Liverpool supporters with no hint of a scouse accent

Eh! You talkin' 'bout me?

I do come from Lancs and used to visit Anfield regularly in my younger days. I no longer care too
much about the round ball game.

James

--
A credit limit is NOT a target.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:
> On today's one o'clock news on BBC 1, the newsreader kept saying how it now costs £5.00 to drive
> into London. **** - it costs £5.00 to drive into the congestion zone, which is a *part* of central
> London. It does not cost £5.00 to drive into London! The motoring bias was definitely there. I
> kept feeling there was a definite sense of "oh ****, it's actually worked today - we've got
> nothing worthwhile to report about it.Why couldn't it have fallen apart at the seams?" So instead,
> it was "It now costs motorists £5.00 to drive into London."
> - which of course, it doesn't. It costs £5.00 to drive through a small part of London, which is
> entirely a different matter.

It will cost a damn sight more to park once you get there.

Does anyone else find that once you get inside the circle line, £50 a day evaporates from your
wallet, leaving no recollection of spending it or geting mugged?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the
keyboard of [email protected] (lardy ninja) wrote:
> Well, my impression so far is that congestion is much less in the charging zone.

Heh. I was listening to the Today programme when that started. BBC reporters looking hard for
serious trouble, and sounding desparately disappointed not to find it. Still managed to interview a
motorist or two.

Ken managed to score a good point: the interviewer only wanted to ask him about trouble, so Ken
asked why so many reporters showed no interest in the underlying issues.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

"AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Does anyone else find that once you get inside the circle line, £50 a day evaporates from your
> wallet, leaving no recollection of spending it or geting mugged?

Ahh. Well, you see -- us city boys can spot a yokel at a couple of miles -- and yokels are always
easy to part from their money when they come up the smoke :)

A fool & his money ----

"Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> What would also be nice (though hard to implement) would be a negative tax on cycling -- say a £2
> daily payment for cycling in the exclusion zone.
>
> That would help to encourage cycling!!

Get your employer to start a bike miles scheme. The place where I work gives each of its head-office
employees a pound to spend on bike bits every time they turn up for work on a bike.

--
Dave...

> On today's one o'clock news on BBC 1, the newsreader kept saying how it
now
> costs £5.00 to drive into London. **** - it costs £5.00 to drive into the congestion zone, which
> is a *part* of central London. It does not cost
> drive into London! The motoring bias was definitely there. I kept feeling
there
> was a definite sense of "oh ****, it's actually worked today - we've got nothing worthwhile to
> report about it.Why couldn't it have fallen apart at
the
> seams?" So instead, it was "It now costs motorists £5.00 to drive into
London."
> - which of course, it doesn't. It costs £5.00 to drive through a small
part of
> London, which is entirely a different matter.

Yes - more bias this morning on R5 travel news as whilst reporting an accident on the edge of the
zone they kept saying "which is sure to cause trouble in the charge zone" - it's like they are dying
for it to be a failure so there's something to report!

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 05:29:41 -0000, Tony W scrawled: ) > This was before the Daily Mail installed a
paedophile on every street ) > corner, of course. And public transport turned into ashes. ASHES, I
tell ) > you. ) ) So taking the bus will help our cricketers win????

... Yes.

J-P
--
Subject: [Dept] Fire Strikes tests=DEAR_SOMEBODY,KNOWN_MAILING_LIST, LINES_OF_YELLING,
MIME_NULL_BLOCK version=2.43

Dave Kahn wrote:

> Get your employer to start a bike miles scheme. The place where I work gives each of its
> head-office employees a pound to spend on bike bits every time they turn up for work on a bike.

When a friend worked for Vodafone in Newbury, they gave him a monthly bonus for not using a car (he
used a scooter), and then a smaller monthly bonus when he used a Smart instead of a full-size car
(he gave up on the scooter as the electrics didn't seem to like rain). I think they did a bigger
monthly bonus again for cyclists.

I think it all had something to do with not taking up a car parking space, so the company had an
incentive to not need larger premises.

--

Mark

> What would also be nice (though hard to implement) would be a negative tax on cycling -- say a £2
> daily payment for cycling in the exclusion zone.
>
> That would help to encourage cycling!!

There's some research on the web that predicts that it would take 3GBP per journey to acheive,
overnight, the abandoned target to double cycling.

See <http://www.regard.ac.uk/cgi-bin/regardng/showResearchFindings.pl?ref=R0
00237103>

Jeremy Parker

[email protected] (lardy ninja) wrote:

| Well, my impression so far is that congestion is much less in the charging zone. Makes the air
| more pleasant at least.

How's it been the last two days? Much the same or is the volume picking up?

--
Patrick Herring, Sheffield, UK http://www.anweald.co.uk

[email protected] (Patrick Herring) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (lardy ninja) wrote:
>
> | Well, my impression so far is that congestion is much less in the charging zone. Makes the air
> | more pleasant at least.
>
> How's it been the last two days? Much the same or is the volume picking up?

So far so good, still fairly quiet but the roads round the outside seem more crowded. Haven't seen
any more protestors after day one. I saw a van with cameras on the back yesterday so I guess they
don't just rely on the fixed cameras for enforcement.

LN

> [email protected] (lardy ninja) wrote:
>
> | Well, my impression so far is that congestion is much less in the charging zone. Makes the air
> | more pleasant at least.
>
> How's it been the last two days? Much the same or is the volume picking up?

From my own cycling round the west end I'd say that the volume's increased a little, but it's still
very quiet out there. It's been actively pleasant.
--
Your site's most important visitors are completely blind, totally deaf, and use browsers you've
never seen.

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:07:06 +0100, Jeremy Parker <[email protected]> wrote:

><http://www.regard.ac.uk/cgi-bin/regardng/showResearchFindings.pl?ref=R000237103>

Now that /is/ interesting. Especially when viewed in conjunction with the recent report that workers
at Arnold Laver in Sheffield are to be paid the executive mileage allowance if they bike to work.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.