hooray for Planet bike

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill B, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders arrived
    safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic design
    that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming aware of
    recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc] start to
    offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their catalogs. I'm
    looking forward to riding in wet conditions and not having a wet dirt stripe on my back.It will be
    nice also not to have the road spray all over my fairing too. I do wonder how much air drag will be
    created by the fenders

    Tags:

  2. Bill B

    Bill B Guest

    Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders arrived
    safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic design
    that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming aware of
    recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc] start to
    offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their catalogs. I'm
    looking forward to riding in wet conditions and not having a wet dirt stripe on my back.It will be
    nice also not to have the road spray all over my fairing too. I do wonder how much air drag will be
    created by the fenders

  3. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders
    > arrived safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic
    > design that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming
    > aware of recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc]
    > start to offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their
    > catalogs.

    Could be a while, PlanetBike is a very innovative company. My extrapolation for your question is:
    when they also start quoting Gandhi.

    happy planet, bike.(~: rorschandt

  4. Rorschandt

    Rorschandt Guest

    [email protected] (Bill B) wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders
    > arrived safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic
    > design that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming
    > aware of recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc]
    > start to offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their
    > catalogs.

    Could be a while, PlanetBike is a very innovative company. My extrapolation for your question is:
    when they also start quoting Gandhi.

    happy planet, bike.(~: rorschandt

  5. Sicklizard

    Sicklizard Guest

    I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country after
    a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through the
    drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the Planet
    Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders
    > arrived safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic
    > design that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming
    > aware of recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc]
    > start to offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their
    > catalogs. I'm looking forward to riding in wet conditions and not having a wet dirt stripe on my
    > back.It will be nice also not to have the road spray all over my fairing too. I do wonder how much
    > air drag will be created by the fenders

  6. Sicklizard

    Sicklizard Guest

    I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country after
    a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through the
    drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the Planet
    Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

    "Bill B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders
    > arrived safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic
    > design that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming
    > aware of recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc]
    > start to offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their
    > catalogs. I'm looking forward to riding in wet conditions and not having a wet dirt stripe on my
    > back.It will be nice also not to have the road spray all over my fairing too. I do wonder how much
    > air drag will be created by the fenders

  7. Daniel Payne

    Daniel Payne Guest

    On 16-Jan-2003, "sicklizard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country
    > after a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through
    > the drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the
    > Planet Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

    sounds like you really know your sh*t... i think the worst thing is going down on road apples around
    a corner. or maybe where the dairy cattle cross the road on the way from the pasture to the barn,
    yeah you need fenders there too.

    don't ask... Daniel also rides in lancaster county, PA.

  8. Daniel Payne

    Daniel Payne Guest

    On 16-Jan-2003, "sicklizard" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country
    > after a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through
    > the drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the
    > Planet Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

    sounds like you really know your sh*t... i think the worst thing is going down on road apples around
    a corner. or maybe where the dairy cattle cross the road on the way from the pasture to the barn,
    yeah you need fenders there too.

    don't ask... Daniel also rides in lancaster county, PA.

  9. Dstra999

    Dstra999 Guest

    >Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders

    I ordered a set of double 20"s from Planet Bike for my rans rocket. Have to send them back because
    they won't over the Primo Comet 1.50 tires(at least not the front one). Perhaps others can avoid
    this problem. Dave

  10. Geob

    Geob Guest

    > I do wonder how much air drag will be created by the fenders

    I wonder too. But, lets not be too hasty. They may actually cut down on overall air drag. I have
    read that a spinning tire in a moving airstream has a number of factor influencing drag that may not
    be intuitively obvious. Any Phd's in Applied Physics excepted.

    I know that in the '60's motorcycle racers were talking about the benefits of fenders. They did some
    controlled tests, don't remember if they were wind-tunnel, prolly not. They found that the fender
    that covered the largest amount of the tire gave the least drag (in general). They said that they
    learned to cover as many 'degrees of the circle' as possible, my words. I hope that makes sense.
    They said that a fender that was very snug around the tire did better than one up and away from the
    tire. They also found that removing the front fender on several different motorcycle models caused
    the engine to overheat on highspeed race tracks. I will leave it to the student to flesh that out.

    This issue puts me in mind of your basic vacuum cleaner. Have you explained to yourself why the
    motor spins faster when you cover the end of the vacuum hose? I believe it is the same factor at
    work with fenders.

    A lil Cessna will go faster with wheel pants but that is a different issue I think.

    I remember seeing pictures of several Bonneville contenders, the ones with outboard tires had
    fenders covering as much of the mess as possible.

    I do know that I have a lovely set of Vision fenders on my R40. Perhaps they have doubled my speed!
    I state the truth when I say that I can now climb the same hills twice as fast with my fenders as I
    could previously without the fenders. (Caveat Emptor :)

  11. Jj

    Jj Guest

    Has anybody else had this problem? I was going to get a set of these to put on my V-Rex (similar to
    the Rocket front end) for touring next summer and assumed they would fit with no problems. Has
    anyone put these on a V-Rex with success?

    Thanks,

    Jim

    > >Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders
    >
    > I ordered a set of double 20"s from Planet Bike for my rans rocket. Have
    > send them back because they won't over the Primo Comet 1.50 tires(at least
    not
    > the front one). Perhaps others can avoid this problem. Dave

  12. Tcl

    Tcl Guest

    Daniel Payne wrote:

    > i think the worst thing is going down on road apples around a corner.
    >
    > don't ask... Daniel also rides in lancaster county, PA.

    Ahh ... Hedge Apple, Osage Orange, Bois d' Arc (Bodark)....

    Not only are the "apples" not real fun to hit, but the trees shed branches with those really tough,
    short thorns right into the roadways.

    They are a preferred fence line tree here in Eastern Kansas. The apples, by the way are good to put
    in your attic and crawl spaces to repel various sorts of unwelcome insect life. AFAIK, that is the
    single thing they are good for.

    Randy Niere (whose biological father is supposedly named Payne)

  13. Sicklizard

    Sicklizard Guest

    I have successfully mounted a set of Planet Bike fenders on a V-Rex last year. I started with the
    MTN Bike fenders. These fenders are for fat 26" tires so no problem covering the 1.75" Primo Comets
    on my bike. Required some trimming with my Dremel to fit between the front fork and some on the rear
    fender to fit between the rear fork branching off the main tube. Final result looks fine to me. I
    forced the front fender to the curve of the 20" front tire and trimmed the support struts to the
    appropriate size.