hooray for Planet bike

Bill B

Guest
Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders arrived
safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic design
that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming aware of
recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc] start to
offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their catalogs. I'm
looking forward to riding in wet conditions and not having a wet dirt stripe on my back.It will be
nice also not to have the road spray all over my fairing too. I do wonder how much air drag will be
created by the fenders

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders
> arrived safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic
> design that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming
> aware of recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc]
> start to offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their
> catalogs.

Could be a while, PlanetBike is a very innovative company. My extrapolation for your question is:
when they also start quoting Gandhi.

happy planet, bike.(~: rorschandt

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders for my bike[V2]. The fenders
> arrived safe and sound. First impressions---- They are well made.The mud flaps look like a classic
> design that might be found on the old Indian or matchless Motorcycles. With Planet Bike becoming
> aware of recumbents I wonder how long it will be before the big boys[nashbar,performance bike etc]
> start to offer recumbent specific stuff like tires,tubes and wheels[16 to 700cc] in their
> catalogs.

Could be a while, PlanetBike is a very innovative company. My extrapolation for your question is:
when they also start quoting Gandhi.

happy planet, bike.(~: rorschandt

I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country after
a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through the
drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the Planet
Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

news:[email protected]...

On 16-Jan-2003, "sicklizard" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country
> after a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through
> the drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the
> Planet Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

sounds like you really know your sh*t... i think the worst thing is going down on road apples around
a corner. or maybe where the dairy cattle cross the road on the way from the pasture to the barn,
yeah you need fenders there too.

don't ask... Daniel also rides in lancaster county, PA.

On 16-Jan-2003, "sicklizard" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I made the decision to put fenders on my recumbents while riding through PA Dutch farm country
> after a rainstorm. Getting my face washed with the spray off the front wheel while riding through
> the drainage from barnyards convinced me fenders were a real good idea. And I concur that the
> Planet Bike fenders are cool as I mentioned in a previous post.

sounds like you really know your sh*t... i think the worst thing is going down on road apples around
a corner. or maybe where the dairy cattle cross the road on the way from the pasture to the barn,
yeah you need fenders there too.

don't ask... Daniel also rides in lancaster county, PA.

>Just like some other ARBR bent heads I ordered a set of fenders

I ordered a set of double 20"s from Planet Bike for my rans rocket. Have to send them back because
they won't over the Primo Comet 1.50 tires(at least not the front one). Perhaps others can avoid
this problem. Dave

> I do wonder how much air drag will be created by the fenders

I wonder too. But, lets not be too hasty. They may actually cut down on overall air drag. I have
read that a spinning tire in a moving airstream has a number of factor influencing drag that may not
be intuitively obvious. Any Phd's in Applied Physics excepted.

I know that in the '60's motorcycle racers were talking about the benefits of fenders. They did some
controlled tests, don't remember if they were wind-tunnel, prolly not. They found that the fender
that covered the largest amount of the tire gave the least drag (in general). They said that they
learned to cover as many 'degrees of the circle' as possible, my words. I hope that makes sense.
They said that a fender that was very snug around the tire did better than one up and away from the
tire. They also found that removing the front fender on several different motorcycle models caused
the engine to overheat on highspeed race tracks. I will leave it to the student to flesh that out.

This issue puts me in mind of your basic vacuum cleaner. Have you explained to yourself why the
motor spins faster when you cover the end of the vacuum hose? I believe it is the same factor at
work with fenders.

A lil Cessna will go faster with wheel pants but that is a different issue I think.

I remember seeing pictures of several Bonneville contenders, the ones with outboard tires had
fenders covering as much of the mess as possible.

I do know that I have a lovely set of Vision fenders on my R40. Perhaps they have doubled my speed!
I state the truth when I say that I can now climb the same hills twice as fast with my fenders as I
could previously without the fenders. (Caveat Emptor :)

Has anybody else had this problem? I was going to get a set of these to put on my V-Rex (similar to
the Rocket front end) for touring next summer and assumed they would fit with no problems. Has
anyone put these on a V-Rex with success?

Thanks,

Jim

Daniel Payne wrote:

> i think the worst thing is going down on road apples around a corner.
>
> don't ask... Daniel also rides in lancaster county, PA.

Ahh ... Hedge Apple, Osage Orange, Bois d' Arc (Bodark)....

Not only are the "apples" not real fun to hit, but the trees shed branches with those really tough,
short thorns right into the roadways.

They are a preferred fence line tree here in Eastern Kansas. The apples, by the way are good to put
in your attic and crawl spaces to repel various sorts of unwelcome insect life. AFAIK, that is the
single thing they are good for.

Randy Niere (whose biological father is supposedly named Payne)

I have successfully mounted a set of Planet Bike fenders on a V-Rex last year. I started with the
MTN Bike fenders. These fenders are for fat 26" tires so no problem covering the 1.75" Primo Comets
on my bike. Required some trimming with my Dremel to fit between the front fork and some on the rear
fender to fit between the rear fork branching off the main tube. Final result looks fine to me. I
forced the front fender to the curve of the 20" front tire and trimmed the support struts to the
appropriate size.