hooray

Steve Katona

Guest
I found a way to block any email that comes from people who post
opinionated baloney. Message filters are a blessing. Bring the message
filter up and put the jackass's name in it and voila--no more messages
from boneheads with nothing to say.

Steve Katona wrote:
> I found a way to block any email that comes from people who post
> opinionated baloney. Message filters are a blessing. Bring the message
> filter up and put the jackass's name in it and voila--no more messages
> from boneheads with nothing to say.

I suspect the invention of the kill file occurred shortly after the
first computer bulletin board was established.

Kill files [1] are for those who lack the perception and mental
discipline to quickly determine what is worth reading and what is not.

[1] An exception is advertising spam, such as links to sites selling
such products as v1agra (sic), which are merely annoying clutter and of
no interest to the non-cretin.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Post Free or Die!

Steve Katona wrote:
> I found a way to block any email that comes from people who post
> opinionated baloney. Message filters are a blessing. Bring the message
> filter up and put the jackass's name in it and voila--no more messages
> from boneheads with nothing to say.

I personally gain greater pleasure from deliberately ignoring the people
whose posts I don't want to read, than from letting the computer ignore
them.

--
John Kimmel
[email protected]

"He's dead, Jim."

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:

> Kill files [1] are for those who lack the perception and mental
> discipline to quickly determine what is worth reading and what is not.

I have the mental perception to realise that anything posted by, say,
Mike Vandeman, or anything in a thread he posts to, is not worth me
reading. So why clutter up the screen with the headers? It's less
about discipline than simple tidiness.

I don't use killfiles much, but the people in them have earned their place.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

"Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Steve Katona wrote:
>> I found a way to block any email that comes from people who post
>> opinionated baloney. Message filters are a blessing. Bring the message
>> filter up and put the jackass's name in it and voila--no more messages
>> from boneheads with nothing to say.

> I suspect the invention of the kill file occurred shortly after the
> first computer bulletin board was established.
>
> Kill files [1] are for those who lack the perception and mental
> discipline to quickly determine what is worth reading and what is not.
>
> [1] An exception is advertising spam, such as links to sites selling
> such products as v1agra (sic), which are merely annoying clutter and of
> no interest to the non-cretin.

Mr. Sherman has got it exactly right!

Anyone but me notice that the kill filers, at least those who announce
themselves as such, are without any exceptions whatsoever jackasses of the
first magnitude. I say good riddance to the lot of them. Some, like Peter
Clinch, the dodo from Dundee, Scotland, is merely a neatness freak. He
apparently never recovered from his toilet training as a kid.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

"John Kimmel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Steve Katona wrote:
>> I found a way to block any email that comes from people who post
>> opinionated baloney. Message filters are a blessing. Bring the message
>> filter up and put the jackass's name in it and voila--no more messages
>> from boneheads with nothing to say.

> I personally gain greater pleasure from deliberately ignoring the people
> whose posts I don't want to read, than from letting the computer ignore
> them.

John, your personal pleasure is your own and I respect you for that. But all
these numskulls who go on and on about how they are kill-filing are really
doing nothing but slamming someone they do not like and then running and
hiding like the cowards that they are. They could quietly kill-file, but no,
that gives them no pleasure. They have a need to announce their action. If
they had any guts, they would stay the course and do battle with the likes
of me here on Usenet. Isn't that what Usenet is all about anyway?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

> I found a way to block any email that comes from people who post
> opinionated baloney. Message filters are a blessing. Bring the message
> filter up and put the jackass's name in it and voila--no more messages
> from boneheads with nothing to say.

Even better, with Gravity one can filter on the body of a message as
well as the usual stuff, so that when some gobbin quotes a message from
someone already subject to the attentions of the **** Filter, hey
presto!

Just a pity that the Thought Police won't let me install it at work.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.