Hope for future NSW rail trails

John Henderson

Guest
"The development of Rail Trails in NSW has been hindered by the
fact that its disused lines were never ‘closed’."

"The Recreational Trails Coordinator for the Lands Department is
asking NSW groups with a rail trail proposal to contact him to
discuss their proposals with the possibility of packaging
proposals for closure and transfer."

http://www.railtrails.org.au/news.htm?news&214

John

On May 30, 8:58 am, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> "The development of Rail Trails in NSW has been hindered by the
> fact that its disused lines were never 'closed'."
>
> "The Recreational Trails Coordinator for the Lands Department is
> asking NSW groups with a rail trail proposal to contact him to
> discuss their proposals with the possibility of packaging
> proposals for closure and transfer."
>
> http://www.railtrails.org.au/news.htm?news&214
>
> John

I think rail trails would be pretty awesome places to ride, although I
would prefer to see trains running on them and less trucks on the
roads :-(

[email protected] wrote:

> I think rail trails would be pretty awesome places to ride,
> although I would prefer to see trains running on them and less
> trucks on the roads :-(

I agree totally on both accounts. But the 100 km or so
Victorian "Murray to Mountains" railtrail (linking Wangaratta,
Beechworth and Bright) has been an enormous success. It's our
family's number one holiday destination. Details at
http://www.railtrail.com.au/ for anyone interested.

John

On May 31, 7:35 am, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree totally on both accounts. But the 100 km or so
> Victorian "Murray to Mountains" railtrail (linking Wangaratta,
> Beechworth and Bright) has been an enormous success. It's our
> family's number one holiday destination. Details athttp://www.railtrail.com.au/for anyone interested.
>
> John

Thanks for the link. I'd seen on Getaway or somesuch show where they
did a tour of a rail trail in New Zealand which looked like a lot of
fun, but it's nice to know there's something available in Australia.
I can vouch for the prettiness of the Victorian High Country too, I
did some motorcycle riding around Myrtleford/Mt Buffalo on 4WD tracks
a few years ago. It's about 1000km from here, but maybe one day I'll
throw the MTB's in the car and sample that trail.

John Henderson wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I think rail trails would be pretty awesome places to ride,
>> although I would prefer to see trains running on them and less
>> trucks on the roads :-(

> I agree totally on both accounts. But the 100 km or so
> Victorian "Murray to Mountains" railtrail (linking Wangaratta,
> Beechworth and Bright) has been an enormous success. It's our
> family's number one holiday destination. Details at
> http://www.railtrail.com.au/ for anyone interested.
>
> John

John,

My parent's B&B often hosts riders on the trail. If you need
accommodation (and they also do bike pick-up from the **** train station
if you ask) then check them out:

www.graniterangeestate.com.au

On the pricey side (although you get what you pay for) but worth keeping
in mind for those weekends away with the bike!! :)
--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

On May 31, 8:55 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 31, 7:35 am, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I agree totally on both accounts. But the 100 km or so
> > Victorian "Murray to Mountains" railtrail (linking Wangaratta,
> > Beechworth and Bright) has been an enormous success. It's our
> > family's number one holiday destination. Details athttp://www.railtrail.com.au/foranyone interested.

> > John

> Thanks for the link. I'd seen on Getaway or somesuch show where they
> did a tour of a rail trail in New Zealand which looked like a lot of
> fun, but it's nice to know there's something available in Australia.
> I can vouch for the prettiness of the Victorian High Country too, I
> did some motorcycle riding around Myrtleford/Mt Buffalo on 4WD tracks
> a few years ago. It's about 1000km from here, but maybe one day I'll
> throw the MTB's in the car and sample that trail.

It's sealed, you don't need MTB's, quite ridable on a roady, or a
'bent, or a pram ...

On May 31, 9:45 am, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> It's sealed, you don't need MTB's, quite ridable on a roady, or a
> 'bent, or a pram ...

Good point, and I am having a great time riding my 9 speed hybrid (hub
gears for ever!) Although if you're in the Vic high country, it would
be a shame not to venture off the beaten path a *little* bit. Mind
you, my MTB would probably break.

On May 31, 10:15 am, [email protected] wrote:
> On May 31, 9:15 am, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My parent's B&B often hosts riders on the trail.

> Mention aus.bicycle for mates rates! ;-)

I can vouch for the 'Ovens Hotel' as a great spot for dinner and
accomodation. I've stayed there many times. It used to be brilliant
(6-8 years ago), then the owner died, and an old Irish couple took it
up, but they really weren't up to it, but then they sold up and a
younger couple bought it and they've made a real go of it. Very bike-
friendly, basic but comfortable guesthouse accom, guiness on tap ...
the food's not as cheap as it used to be, but it's good quality and
not neuvo-pub ********.

The Everton pub's a great spot for lunch, too. Sitting on the
veranda, cold beer and hot chips on a 37 degree day in summer .. ace!
That was a great trip ...

Sure beats staying in Myrtleford, the 'Dandenong' of the Ovens
valley .. urghhh ...

John Henderson wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> I think rail trails would be pretty awesome places to ride,
>> although I would prefer to see trains running on them and less
>> trucks on the roads :-(

> I agree totally on both accounts. But the 100 km or so
> Victorian "Murray to Mountains" railtrail (linking Wangaratta,
> Beechworth and Bright) has been an enormous success. It's our
> family's number one holiday destination. Details at
> http://www.railtrail.com.au/ for anyone interested.
>
> John

We have a rail trail going from our town to another small town about 60
km away. The trail is boring compared to most mountain bike trails
because it has no sharp turns or hills. Given a choice I'd rather have a
nice piece of singletrack somewhere.

Friday

Bleve wrote:

> The Everton pub's a great spot for lunch, too. Sitting on the
> veranda, cold beer and hot chips on a 37 degree day in summer .. ace!

They also sell my parents' wine! :)

--
Bean

Bleve wrote:

> The Everton pub's a great spot for lunch, too. Sitting on the
> veranda, cold beer and hot chips on a 37 degree day in summer .. ace!
> That was a great trip ...

Hmm have done the Beechworth to Everton ride a few times with the family
but haven't seen the pub. Might be time for another trip. Will 18km of
coasting downhill actually create a thirst (we drive back up).

DaveB

Everton ... Everton .. the name is permanently seared into Bikesoiler & I's memory. Scorching hot windy day, sheep **** on the railtrail and swiftly running out of water despite carrying several litres. Arrive in Everton, order beer, place pot to forehead to attempt to cool down and then imbibe. Think we both had two in rapid succession before mentioning a word, (also think the locals had seen this happen before) Not bad accomodation out the back too, as we were making for Wangaratta but made a executive decision at the pub, ie: CBF'ed ;)

Bleve wrote:
> On May 31, 8:55 am, [email protected] wrote:
>> On May 31, 7:35 am, John Henderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> I agree totally on both accounts. But the 100 km or so
>>> Victorian "Murray to Mountains" railtrail (linking Wangaratta,
>>> Beechworth and Bright) has been an enormous success. It's our
>>> family's number one holiday destination. Details athttp://www.railtrail.com.au/foranyone interested.
>>> John

>> Thanks for the link. I'd seen on Getaway or somesuch show where they
>> did a tour of a rail trail in New Zealand which looked like a lot of
>> fun, but it's nice to know there's something available in Australia.
>> I can vouch for the prettiness of the Victorian High Country too, I
>> did some motorcycle riding around Myrtleford/Mt Buffalo on 4WD tracks
>> a few years ago. It's about 1000km from here, but maybe one day I'll
>> throw the MTB's in the car and sample that trail.

> It's sealed, you don't need MTB's, quite ridable on a roady, or a
> 'bent, or a pram ...

I've ridden the Victorian hight country one
http://www.keogh.net.au/wangaratta/ and the NZ (Central Otago Rail
Trail) one http://www.keogh.net.au/NZ/ . Both were great fun in their
own ways but I have to say:
- the rail trail condition in Vic is way better
- the towns are in general more interesting in Vic
- it is a dead heat in terms of wine (all right, as a Pinot Noir lover
I'll give it to Central Otago)
- NZ wins for beer
- the scenery is a dead heat
- NZ is longer which is a good thing