Hope for the future?

Just Zis Guy

Guest
A Bike Shop I Know has a set of last year's Hope Minis for a hundred apiece.

Tempting.

But...

Darth Ian sung the praises of Shimano cable-operated discs, which I think weigh slightly less and
are Half The Price!

What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
one-wheeler?

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at the University of Washington.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> one-wheeler?

Nicer, newer, shinier components get my vote. Mmmm.

Unicycles? Who needs 'em? Striclty for clowns and jugglers.

Simon

> A Bike Shop I Know has a set of last year's Hope Minis for a hundred apiece.

That's about the going rate Guy.

> Darth Ian sung the praises of Shimano cable-operated discs, which I think weigh slightly less and
> are Half The Price!
>
> What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> one-wheeler?

Get the Hopes, I think cable operated discs are a half measure. No matter how good to start with the
cables will never achieve the smoothness of fluids and will only degrade. But there again I've never
used cable discs so what do I know.

I upgraded to Hope Mini Monos at Xmas and love 'em, that I do know!

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> one-wheeler?

Get the Uni, low tech, no problem.

What is this fad with cable disks? They offer noa dvantage over vees from what I can see. Cable stretch etc etc. If you want disks get the real thing.....

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> one-wheeler?

Buy the unicycle Guy. You know it makes sense. Upgrading components gives you extra cyclist brownie
points, but buying a whole new cycle gets you even more!

Graeme

"davebee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is this fad with cable disks? They offer noa dvantage over vees from what I can see. Cable
> stretch etc etc. If you want disks get the real thing.....

In the dry probably so but if you ride a lot in wet and mud or grit then not only should the discs
perform better but your rims won't get ground away. Other than that I'm with you, hydraulic is the
way to go and cables are like spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.
--
Regards, Pete

> A Bike Shop I Know has a set of last year's Hope Minis for a hundred apiece. What would you do,
> dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that one-wheeler?

I have Hope Minis and I was shocked and disappointed to find that they leaked brake fluid from
between the caliper halves even though the clamping bolts were not slack (no, I didn't overtighten
them and distort the calipers!).

The cure was found, rather inelegantly to be to fit a small hoseclip around the square boss where
the hydraulic pipe enters, thus improving the feel of the brakes greatly, plus keeping air out of
the system.

I've found several mentions of this problem with internet searches so it's not unknown.

I've emailed Hope Engineering on several occaisions about this (and about my failed attempts to
overhaul my Hope hubs, which you should be able to pull apart by hand, all to no avail. Not even a
reply to say they had recieved my emails.

I suspect that's why they introduced the single part calipers but if they turn out to have a problem
my experience with Hope after sales service doesn't bode well. I would have hoped (Ha! what a pun!)
that Hope would have machined up a few good looking clamps to solve the problem, I'd even have paid
money for them, but no :-(

I *do* still like my Minis and Hubs despite the problems but my cash will be going in another
direction when replacement time comes around.

Robert

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> one-wheeler?

Hope springs eternal... The Speedmachine has an M4 on the front and a Mini on the back, the Trice
has Minis on the front and Cosimo should have Mono Minis after this weekend - the chees^H^H^H^H^H
Maguras will go on the mountain bike. I am, as you can tell, keen on Hope brakes - ICE tried to talk
me out of them, but failed.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> A Bike Shop I Know has a set of last year's Hope Minis for a hundred apiece.
>
> Tempting.
>
> But...
>
> Darth Ian sung the praises of Shimano cable-operated discs, which I think weigh slightly less and
> are Half The Price!

I've only had relatively short exposures to various cable and hydraulic disc setups, and as of
Saturday a few hours with hydraulic rims. But with that caveat, the hydraulics I've used (all
Maguras of various flavours) have impressed me quite a bit, and none of the cable discs have really
had me thinking "I'd like a set of these!" at all.

> What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> one-wheeler?

Depends... if you're fixing something that ain't broke to start with, I'd get a Unicycle. Furthest
I've ever been on mine is about 4 Km, but I can have more fun in 250m than I often manage in 25,000
on a bike. Silly, but one of those things you've Got To Do Really. If you're having problems with
your existing brakes then as they keep you alive on a day to day basis they should take priority.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Graeme <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > What would you do, dear friends? Blow the unicycle fund on the Hopes or go Shimano and buy that
> > one-wheeler?
> >

> Buy the unicycle Guy. You know it makes sense. Upgrading components gives you extra cyclist
> brownie points, but buying a whole new cycle gets you even more!
>
> Graeme

Cable discs are rubbish IMHO Guy. I replaced one of my Hayes ones with a Shimano Deore hydraulic,
amazing difference, no cable friction, progressive action, superb. But if you are determined to keep
your dentist in business go for the unicycle ;-)

[email protected] (MartinM) wrote in news:3cf5c6dc.0402170015.567981c8
@posting.google.com:

> But if you are determined to keep your dentist in business go for the unicycle ;-)

Eh? I've never injured my face or damaged my teeth in any way on my unicycle (or more accurately
falling off) and haven't heard of anyone needing any dental work. Head injuries are unlikely for
most people on a unicycle. There's little to get in the way in the event of a fall and 90% of falls
result in you standing up when the unicyle falls, the other 10% are usually stumbles with maybe a
small roll for good measure. Once you've learned how to spring up from these tumbles and shout "TA
DA!" then everyone will think it's deliberate anyway :)

Get the unicycle Guy, you know it makes sense.

Graeme

Graeme wrote:

> Get the unicycle Guy, you know it makes sense.

Absolutely. You owe it to your kids to embarass them with such mid life eccentricity. I did.

Tony

Peter B wrote:
> "davebee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> What is this fad with cable disks? They offer noa dvantage over vees from what I can see. Cable
>> stretch etc etc. If you want disks get the real thing.....
>
> In the dry probably so but if you ride a lot in wet and mud or grit then not only should the discs
> perform better but your rims won't get ground away. Other than that I'm with you, hydraulic is the
> way to go and cables are like spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar.

My MTBer friend reports that hydraulic brakes cease to work once the oil heats up when
braking a lot !

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in news:c0sq5r$1a3dca$1@ID-
178940.news.uni-berlin.de:

> You owe it to your kids to embarass them with such mid life eccentricity.

I assume your kids had the luck to be born to a relatively "normal" father who only started being a
little eccentric when they reached embarrasment age? My son should hopefully be immune to such
embarassment as he was born with a unicycling father and I intend to expose him to all sorts of
embarrasing behaviour to increase his resistance to sensibility :)

Graeme

...better shut down, there's a huge lightning storm which is playing silly buggers with my PC...

MSeries wrote:

> My MTBer friend reports that hydraulic brakes cease to work once the oil heats up when
> braking a lot !

'appen, but I think you'd have to be working them /very/ hard. And Guy would be extremely unlikely
to put that much heat into them on the road.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

MSeries wrote:

> My MTBer friend reports that hydraulic brakes cease to work once the oil heats up when
> braking a lot !

My disk brakes have got extremely hot under lots of sustained braking. Not had the slightest sign of
fade or problems from the heat other than burning myself on the hot rotor ;-(

The only problem you can have is if you have the "closed" system, you need to change the adjusters
as the brakes heat up. Open systems don't have the problem but I prefer to be able to adjust the
bite point of the brakes

Tony

Graeme wrote:

> I assume your kids had the luck to be born to a relatively "normal" father who only started being
> a little eccentric when they reached embarrasment age?

My kids would contest that!. Its moving from being "Dad being fun" to "Ohhh Daaaad" though

Tony

Dave Larrington wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>
>>My MTBer friend reports that hydraulic brakes cease to work once the oil heats up when
>>braking a lot !

> 'appen, but I think you'd have to be working them /very/ hard. And Guy would be extremely unlikely
> to put that much heat into them on the road.

Plus, of course, *any* brake system will fade as it overheats, and that's the simple fact that they
work by converting KE into heat. Once the system is hot enough that it can't really dissipate heat
faster than it's acquiring it then it won't work properly, and whether you're using cables or fluid
or whatever won't really alter that.

Tony Raven wrote:
> MSeries wrote:
>
>>My MTBer friend reports that hydraulic brakes cease to work once the oil heats up when
>>braking a lot !
>

> My disk brakes have got extremely hot under lots of sustained braking. Not had the slightest sign
> of fade or problems from the heat other than burning myself on the hot rotor ;-(
>
> The only problem you can have is if you have the "closed" system, you need to change the adjusters
> as the brakes heat up. Open systems don't have the problem but I prefer to be able to adjust the
> bite point of the brakes

Overheating fluid is a well-known failure mode for tandems and it causes us some problems. It will
generally be a lot harder to achieve on single bikes but still possible, especially during a fastish
steep descent on a 'bent.

James