Hope I don't get flamed

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Jason C. Heath, Jun 15, 2003.

  1. hey all, this is my first time here so if i commit a posting error with my questions i apologize in
    advance. i'm finally getting back on the bike and in the pool after almost a year off due to knee
    and leg injuries and i'm in the market for new sweat proof/water proof watch. can anyone give me any
    imput on the timex ironman, is the heartrate monitor reasonably accurate? i don't see me doing any
    competing in the near future but would like to monitor my progress. i'd like to have good and bad
    experiences with the watch please.

    thanks folks, jch

    Tags:

  2. I've had no experience with Timex HR Monitors. I have a speed+distance that works pretty well.

    Suggest a moderate priced Polar if you want a very reliable HR Monitor with some functionality. I
    have an S210 that's almost 3 years old...no problems.

    Also suggest that if you're serious about watching your progress, you might want to hook up with
    someone who can do some basic HR and LT/AT testing up front. This will give you your accurate
    training ranges out of the gate.

    "Jason C. Heath" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > hey all, this is my first time here so if i commit a posting error with my questions i apologize
    > in advance. i'm finally getting back on the bike and in the pool after almost a year off due to
    > knee and leg injuries and i'm in the market for new sweat proof/water proof watch. can anyone give
    > me any imput on the timex ironman, is the heartrate monitor reasonably accurate? i don't see me
    > doing any competing in the near future but would like to monitor my progress. i'd like to have
    > good and bad experiences with the watch please.
    >
    > thanks folks, jch

  3. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On 15 Jun 2003 21:26:46 -0700, [email protected] (Andrew Coleman) wrote:

    >I've had no experience with Timex HR Monitors. I have a speed+distance that works pretty well.
    >
    >Suggest a moderate priced Polar if you want a very reliable HR Monitor with some functionality. I
    >have an S210 that's almost 3 years old...no problems.
    >
    >Also suggest that if you're serious about watching your progress, you might want to hook up with
    >someone who can do some basic HR and LT/AT testing up front. This will give you your accurate
    >training ranges out of the gate.

    Agree on the testing adn one step further would be a Polar with Sonic or better yet IR
    uploading. I have a Polar 620i that I download and track all of my workouts with. Have had
    it for a couple of months and love it.

    ~Matt

    >"Jason C. Heath" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    >> hey all, this is my first time here so if i commit a posting error with my questions i apologize
    >> in advance. i'm finally getting back on the bike and in the pool after almost a year off due to
    >> knee and leg injuries and i'm in the market for new sweat proof/water proof watch. can anyone
    >> give me any imput on the timex ironman, is the heartrate monitor reasonably accurate? i don't see
    >> me doing any competing in the near future but would like to monitor my progress. i'd like to have
    >> good and bad experiences with the watch please.
    >>
    >> thanks folks, jch

  4. hey thanks for your input folks. i've got an old polar that i need to send the cheststrap back to
    replace a batt. in there or something. like i said i'm looking for a new watch and was checking out
    my options: fix the polar and get some other watch, buy a watch that maybe i can kill 2 birds with
    one stone with, the choices...

    i do like the gps thing also that was brought to my attention so now that's in the running. guess
    i'll do a little more research into getting the polar fixed. thanks all.

    jch

    <MJuric> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On 15 Jun 2003 21:26:46 -0700, [email protected] (Andrew Coleman) wrote:
    >
    > >I've had no experience with Timex HR Monitors. I have a speed+distance that works pretty well.
    > >
    > >Suggest a moderate priced Polar if you want a very reliable HR Monitor with some functionality. I
    > >have an S210 that's almost 3 years old...no problems.
    > >
    > >Also suggest that if you're serious about watching your progress, you might want to hook up with
    > >someone who can do some basic HR and LT/AT testing up front. This will give you your accurate
    > >training ranges out of the gate.
    > >

    > Agree on the testing adn one step further would be a Polar with Sonic or better yet IR uploading.
    > I have a Polar 620i that I download and track all of my workouts with. Have had it for a couple of
    > months and love it.
    >
    > ~Matt
    >
    > >"Jason C. Heath" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >> hey all, this is my first time here so if i commit a posting error with
    my
    > >> questions i apologize in advance. i'm finally getting back on the bike
    and
    > >> in the pool after almost a year off due to knee and leg injuries and
    i'm in
    > >> the market for new sweat proof/water proof watch. can anyone give me
    any
    > >> imput on the timex ironman, is the heartrate monitor reasonably
    accurate? i
    > >> don't see me doing any competing in the near future but would like to monitor my progress. i'd
    > >> like to have good and bad experiences with
    the
    > >> watch please.
    > >>
    > >> thanks folks, jch

  5. You can send chest strap back to Polar....you can also buy a new/backup strap at many Polar dealers
    for 30 bucks