Hope Mini disc brakes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Andyforse, Mar 20, 2003.

  1. Andyforse

    Andyforse Guest

    Hi

    I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The brakes work very well with the
    exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig. This really can be very annoying. Does
    anyone have any advise. no matter how small, to help solve the problem.

    I clean the discs, I clean the pads, I sand down the pads every now and again, but still they
    squeal. Am I doing something wrong.

    Any information you can share would be be gratefully received.

    Thanks in advance

    Andy

    Tags:

  2. John Prady

    John Prady Guest

    Have you checked that the disks are centred between the pads and that the disks are not deflecting
    as the brakes are applied?

    This seems to fix the problem on my son's Chameleon - for about a couple of weeks at a time.

    Hope this helps.

    John

    "andyforse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<YAnea.1030$2%[email protected]>...
    > Hi
    >
    > I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The brakes work very well with the
    > exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig. This really can be very annoying. Does
    > anyone have any advise. no matter how small, to help solve the problem.
    >
    > I clean the discs, I clean the pads, I sand down the pads every now and again, but still they
    > squeal. Am I doing something wrong.
    >
    > Any information you can share would be be gratefully received.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    >
    > Andy

  3. Andyforse

    Andyforse Guest

    Yes. The discs are bang on centre, although the whole of the pad does not cover the disc. i.e. part
    of the pad does not get worn. About
    1/16th of an inch is not touched by the disc. Could this cause such a problem?

    "John Prady" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Have you checked that the disks are centred between the pads and
    that
    > the disks are not deflecting as the brakes are applied?
    >
    > This seems to fix the problem on my son's Chameleon - for about a couple of weeks at a time.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > John
    >
    > "andyforse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<YAnea.1030$2%[email protected]>...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The
    brakes
    > > work very well with the exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig. This really
    > > can be very annoying. Does anyone have
    any
    > > advise. no matter how small, to help solve the problem.
    > >
    > > I clean the discs, I clean the pads, I sand down the pads every
    now
    > > and again, but still they squeal. Am I doing something wrong.
    > >
    > > Any information you can share would be be gratefully received.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance
    > >
    > > Andy

  4. Matt J

    Matt J Guest

    "andyforse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<YAnea.1030$2%[email protected]>...
    > Hi
    >
    > I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The brakes work very well with the
    > exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig.

    I ride the same brake on the front of my Fisher, and it gets a very high-pitched squeal when it's
    dry. Out of curiosity, which rotor do you have? I've got the fancy one with squiggly outside - came
    stock. Also, one pad (the inside one) constantly rubs. I'm not sure how to correct this, and think
    maybe that's a part of if. Did you get the bolt-on surface faced? I know Magura makes an LBS tool
    for this in the front fork.. Good luck

    Matt

  5. > I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The brakes work very well with the
    > exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig.

    Mine squealed a bit for a few weeks of use (30 miles a day on road) but now they only squeal a bit
    when it's wet.

    Watch out for hydraulic fluid leaking out from the joint in the caliper halfs. I found this really
    disconcerting and a quick web search confirmed that I wasn't the only one.

    I've put a small hose-clip around the square section where the hydraulic line connects and done it
    up real tight. It cured the leak and made the brakes rock solid, pretty it's not.

    Hope have so far not replied to several emails though I hear that they're pretty good if you phone
    them but in this day and age .........

    BigRAb

  6. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Hi Matt,

    I have Hope Mini's on my Marin East Peak, and when I first had them set up they squealed like a pig.
    The first thing I did was to check the calliper was aligned straight with the disk (which it
    wasn't!) & the checked the disk was true. Hope will supply you with some shims to correct any
    errors. This helped but they do still make a bit of noise.

    The other thing is to check to see if the pads have been contaminated with brake fluid or oil - if
    they have you will have to replace them.

    Regards

    Bob

    [email protected] (Matt J) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "andyforse" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<YAnea.1030$2%[email protected]>...
    > > Hi
    > >
    > > I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The brakes work very well with the
    > > exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig.
    >
    > I ride the same brake on the front of my Fisher, and it gets a very high-pitched squeal when it's
    > dry. Out of curiosity, which rotor do you have? I've got the fancy one with squiggly outside -
    > came stock. Also, one pad (the inside one) constantly rubs. I'm not sure how to correct this, and
    > think maybe that's a part of if. Did you get the bolt-on surface faced? I know Magura makes an LBS
    > tool for this in the front fork.. Good luck
    >
    > Matt

  7. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > Any information you can share would be be gratefully received.

    How old are your disc brakes? Even if you bought them new from a shop doesn't mean they haven't had
    them there since when the Minis first came out. The first batches had squealing issues and
    subsequently, they changed the pads. I would try ordering a new set of pads and giving that a try.

    I have a set of Minis also but don't have the squealing so they do run quiet, they squeal a bit when
    they get wet but quiets down as soon as they dry up.

    alan

  8. On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 18:17:28 +0000, andyforse did issue forth:

    > Hi
    >
    > I ride a Marin Rift Zone fitted with Hope Mini disc brakes. The brakes work very well with the
    > exception of one thing; they squeal like a castrated pig. This really can be very annoying. Does
    > anyone have any advise. no matter how small, to help solve the problem.
    >
    > I clean the discs, I clean the pads, I sand down the pads every now and again, but still they
    > squeal. Am I doing something wrong.

    Squealing is something that the Mini is famous for. The very early ones had a poor choice of pad,
    and the squealing can be reduced a fair bit by changing to a different set of pads, although in my
    experience this doesn't always shut them up entirely.

    The best way that I've found to shut them up is to smear copper grease on the pads, something that
    car mechanics have been doing for years. I'll leave it to your better judgement which side of the
    pad to smear it on! ;-)

  9. Alan

    Alan Guest

    > The other thing is to check to see if the pads have been contaminated with brake fluid or oil - if
    > they have you will have to replace them.

    Not necessarily. You can burn off the pads if you place them on a range top burner. I would suggest
    you open all the windows first and make sure your spouse or anyone else is not around!

    alan