Hope to Princeton - need advice

davef

Oct 25, 2003
Does anyone know if there is (budget) accommodation between these two places, other than camping spots.

I am concerned that I won't be able to do the full 135KMs in one day. And in order to make the best time I don't want to carry a tent and sleeping bag.

Thanks,

Hi Dave,

I went from Hope to Princeton at the beginning of June and I don’t recall any budget accommodation between the two places. There is Manning Park Lodge just beyond the summit, and although I have no idea of the price of the rooms I would venture that its notexactly budget.
I think it would be wise to carry your camping gear.
While it is true that you gain almost 1300 meters, the grade is not steep. I see you are from New Zealand and if you have done loaded touring around there you have most likely tacked much much steeper passes then this one. And once you get to the summit it is pretty much gloriously down hill to Princeton the next 77km.

I would say go to the info centre in Hope and take a look at the profile of the route which also has campground info. (They showed me the relevant pages out of the guide Cycle Routs of South Central BC- pretty helpful but also note that the large hill outside the park gate didn’t really materialize).

Hope that helps,
Claire

Claire06,

Thank you for the advise. I have been on this route a few times, BUT I was never looking for accommodation! Searches on the internet didn't turn anything up.

I wouldn't think twice about doing 135KMs on a road bike, but I have zero "loaded touring" experience. So, half of the trip is downhill . . . that will help to get the average back up after slogging up to the pass!

How long did it take you?

davef

Well I did the pass on my second day of loading touring, ever. We started at Harrison Hot Springs and didn't get to Hope until well after 12.
It took about 6 hours from Hope, going pretty slowly with lots of breaks to reach our campground (Cold Spring) on the other side of the summit.

The next day, I don't remember quite how long it took to get in to Princeton, except it was predominately gloriously downhill, with a few small climbs interspersed. Some pretty fun hills to zoom down....

so in a couple of weeks i will leave vernon to ride to abby. i will have a 77 km uphill stretch? i will be be the guy you see laying on the side of the road crying.

aa9t8 said:
so in a couple of weeks i will leave vernon to ride to abby. i will have a 77 km uphill stretch? i will be be the guy you see laying on the side of the road crying.

I'll be doing that stretch on the 9th Sept, so I hope you are still not trying to muster the courage to finish the trip by then :)

I suspect it will be just as much work doing it from the other direction. I am on my way to Falkland. Then I head back to Aldergrove. Then a week or two on Vancouver Island, before going back to NZ for Spring.

Should you carry pepper spray (or ?) though Manning Park?

Hope you have a good trip.

Cheers,
davef

i do not think you will need it. but it is not a bad idea. guess i will have more to ponder.

davef said:
Does anyone know if there is (budget) accommodation between these two places, other than camping spots.

I am concerned that I won't be able to do the full 135KMs in one day. And in order to make the best time I don't want to carry a tent and sleeping bag.

Thanks,
Hi,

I live about 40 K from Hope. The road east from Hope to Princeton is very very steep and difficult to begin with. As much as a 10 percent grade for several K going up the 'Hope Slide' an area where a huge rock slide buried the highway. This is a difficult climb on racing bicycle. Even after the Hope slide there are long arduous climbs.

No cheap accomodation, not much of anything really. Long distances between grocery stores.

Still the Hope Princeton is the best route East into the interior! The tunnels on Hwy 1 are a horror.

Regards
Wayne

aa9t8 said:
i think wayne should put out a shingle.

I've been living in NZ too long. Do you mean Wayne should run a shuttle service between Hope and Princeton?

Wayne,
Thanks for your input.

For input #4 I found this on "My Bicycle Tours in British Columbia" by N.Roughley

Highway #3 from Hope begins with crossing the Cascades to Princeton, not so difficult as it is long: 132.7km of asphalt to Vermillion Avenue in Princeton. The road begins with a 668m climb to the Hope Slide (728m, km 17.6) then descends through Sunshine Valley, west of the entrance to Manning Park, to a low point of 628m at Sumallo Grove (km 34.5) in the Rhododendron Flats. The road climbs from the flats to the Snass Creek Bridge (km 37.6) and enters the Skagit Bluffs, a short, imposing section of mountain highway. After a slight descent, just below the 800m mark, the road begins the final ascent from the Skaist River Bridge (km 43.3) to Allison Pass (km 59.1, 1342m).

The highway now begins a long, gradual descent past the Manning Park Lodge (km 66.7), to Eastgate (km 83.4) at the eastern boundary of the park, reaching a low point of 952m northeast of Similkameen Falls (km 88.2) before ascending to Sunday Summit (1282m, km 99.5). From this second summit the highway stays high for quite a few kilometres before descending on a two-tiered downhill run to Princeton (km 132.7), the first part on a long stretch of 9% grade—the steepest part of the #3 in either direction.

Think I'll just get on the road by 6AM and try to get to the top of the Pass before the temperature gets too high. And then take it easy up Sunday Summit!

BFN
davef

Hi Dave,

I'm a former Greyhound bus driver who drove that route quite a few times. I've since moved on to Victoria. I've never cycled that route but it is quite winding, steep and sometimes narrow. In some spots trucks and buses have to slow down to 30km/h or risk flipping over or losing their loads. There are some sections where trucks and buses will not be able to get by you (too winding to see what's coming the other way) unless you courteously move over so the poor trucker doesn't have to shift through a whole myriad of gears to get back up to speed :mad: . But the traffic is relatively light and there are some 4 lane sections.

As others have pointed out there is NO ACCOMODATION along the way except the Manning Park Lodge (Quite expensive). The only relatively cheap motels are in Hope and Princeton.

Once you hit the pass the road is surprisingly level for a little while (relatively speaking). Then it's an overall descent but it still has quite a few climbs thrown in for good measure, even though you are losing altitude overall. Make sure you have the stamina for it. Otherwise it's a very beautiful area.

I don't carry bear spray when on highways but I have carried it on the railbeds from Castlegar to Hope and other more remote areas on Vancouver Island. The problem with bear spray is that it's useless unless you know how to use it. And the reality is that bear attacks are actually extremely rare when you consider how many people wander into their territory. I've had 8 close bear encounters so far, including one who snorted at me and one who took a run at me :eek: , only to bluff and turn at the last moment. It's possible that bears might be encountered at the higher altitudes in September. Respect their space and they'll most likely respect your's.

Above all have fun, especially when you're on my turf on Vancouver Island :)

Meisele,

Thank you for the advice. I have a mirror on the bike and try to ride considerately. I have heard stories that it is the summer-time RV drivers that you have to be careful of. Door mirrors, evidently.

After the Interior I plan on spending about 10 days on the Island. I know it will be fun. It has been 35 years since I have been biking on the Islands.

I did a loaded hill workout yesterday and averaged 25kMs/hour for 4 hours, so am not too worried about doing the distance in one day now.

Thanks everyone for the advice and "here we go" . . .

Davef

Ah yes,

The RV drivers can be the worst. At least the truckers and bus drivers are mostly professionals. Anyone with a regular car driver's licence can hop into most RV's with no extra training ...scary!!

Yup, if you averaged that speed for 4 hours you've got it made.

Have fun