Hoppers Crossing Criterium

mogulhead

Jul 18, 2003
Went in the Max Campbell Memorial criterium. Was bumped up to C grade as no D grade was being raced. They also bumped a few of the faster C graders up to B grade which must of reduced the pace a bit. So I went in the race with the aim of not getting dropped. Stayed in the bunch and watched a few half arsed break aways go, as shabby would say. At one point in the middle of the race I thought I might get dropped but the pace slackened off for the last 15 minutes or so. Pace was up and down all the time which caused a few moments.

Near the business end a couple of riders got away with about a lap to go. I didn't see them go as I was too busy trying to not run up the back of the guys in front and position myself for the sprint. Last corner I tried to jump on the back of a chain of riders but couldn't get the wheel. Wasted a moment looking for another wheel when I should have just been going flat out. Ended up coming about 8th in a field of about 30. The last lap break away guys won and the winner was a D grader. No idea what really happened on the last lap but apparently everyone was looking at each other while the break got away.

Thought the D grade guys win was deserved as he always goes in a break in the races I've been in rather than just trundle around until the final sprint.

Watched the A grade race which was a beauty. Attacks all over the place with only about 8 guys finishing out of a field of about 30.

Cheers
Cheers