Hopping improved with recent study

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling archive' started by Memphis Mud, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Memphis Mud

    Memphis Mud Guest

    I've been trying to improve my hopping. I've zeroed in on
    that aspect in various videos. I've read some threads. I've
    watch my compatriots closely. Here recently, I found an
    article on 'Muniac Manor' (http://www.muniac.com) (a site
    which should be on everyone's "favorites" list).

    Included on this site is an article by Kris Holm. Instead of
    using the popular pre-hop, Mr. Holm says start with a still-
    stand...compress and go. The still-stand only needs to be 1
    second or less in duration. With this in mind, I was able to
    hop up a flight of 21 steps on the third attempt. (personal
    best). First attempt I made it 17 steps. Memphis is situated
    on some tall bluffs overlooking the Mississippi River. The
    city has recently constructed several sets of stairs going
    up the bluffs. I'm guessing there must be over 100 steps on
    a couple of them...

    And I credit these forums for another point that has made a
    HUGE difference. I had been exhausting myself because of
    shoddy technique. Expending too much energy. Pulling hard on
    the seat. Coming off the pedals. But there has recently been
    a thread on tire pressure where our resident brainiacs
    explained the rhythm of the bouncing tire. High psi...the
    tire returns to orig shape quickly. Low psi...tire returns
    slowly, allowing the rider time to perform. I got my rhythm
    matched up to the tire pressure (I chose a pressure just
    higher than bottoming out) and did the still-stand technique
    and ba-da-bing, I was on the next step up with surprisingly
    little effort.

    To sum up: Relax, still-stand momentarily, find that
    rhythm relative to pressure, (i.e. don't rush the hop) and
    zingo-bingo.

    Going up, I like the balls of the feet on the pedals. Going
    down I prefer the arch of the foot on the pedals. But that's
    a physics problem for an future thread. (anyone ever heard
    of an atlatl?)

    --
    Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

    Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...

    "do not think, just ride"...muniracer
    Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

  2. Brian.Slater

    Brian.Slater Guest

    Memphis Mud wrote:
    > *But that's a physics problem for an future thread.
    > (anyone ever heard of an atlatl?)*
    A spear chucker, if I remember correctly. When I told my mom
    about them, she went nuts (an avid Scrabble player.)

    --
    brian.slater - Nellfurtiti, the Wonder Cat

    Brian C. Slater
    AKA: Snoopy

    Ok, I am now officially in my normal state of -advanced- confusion.
    Don't try to confuse me, it won't make any difference.

    "To not decide is to decide" - undecided
    brian.slater's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3902

  3. Tmornstar

    Tmornstar Guest