Hopping with cranks vertical

jamessd wrote:
> Where did he say he was doing drops or trying to get any height? The
> first thing to learn is standard hopping, which is hopping on the spot
> to gain balance. Therefore, my advice was fully correct, and not yours.

I, respectfully, disagree. Even without trying for height slightly
bent knees are better for balance and less dangerous. Impacting onto
locked legs is bad for your knees, even it it's small impacts from
standard hopping.

I guess he should try them both and see which he likes better.

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)

Very strange, very strange indeed! Let me ask you this, what style do
you ride?

--
peleschramm

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=peleproductions
unicycle for atheism.

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

Seager wrote:
> I, respectfully, disagree. Even without trying for height slightly bent
> knees are better for balance and less dangerous. Impacting onto locked
> legs is bad for your knees, even it it's small impacts from standard
> hopping.
>
> I guess he should try them both and see which he likes better.

Fine, but all I'll say is that all 8 people I helped to learn to ride
could not hop until I figured out that there legs were bent therefore
one foot had more pressure on it, instead of them being straight.

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :p:
[email protected]

peleschramm wrote:
> Very strange, very strange indeed! Let me ask you this, what style do
> you ride?

Beginner style, obviously! Why do you think he believes vertical-crank
hopping might be superior to the way all the experts do it? A little
more practice and experience and he'll figure it out.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"

net_hippy wrote:
> One of the main reasons I've been able to hop like this is I'm
> struggling to bring myself to a halt with the cranks horizontal...my
> feet want to keep going until my right one is on the ground. Just seem
> to have more control that way.

hippy fwiw one thing that helped for me when it came to stopping then
hopping is to lean the unicycle back just as you brake with the back
leg. Do it, and do it with some intent, it helps cancel out the forward
movement of the uni and crank, and you can easily bring the uni back to
upright.

Also, maybe try braking with the other leg. Even though I'm left handed
and play sports with a mix of left and/or right sides, from my mountain
biking days I always preferred to hop with my right foot forward, which
feels the most natural for me on the unicycle too. So that means I
generally brake the uni to a stand still mainly with my left leg just
as the left pedal starts coming back up around, leaning back a little
at the same time, stopping the cranks ~ horizontal, with my right foot
in front.

--
lunicycle