Horner not happy about Olympic team selection

Bro Deal said:
http://www.velonews.com/article/81477

He has a point. It is strange that he has never been chosen.
Man I hate those political decisions from numbskulls in power. They even make it worse by citing injury concerns as a rationale. That just makes it worse. You don't guess on a guy who's injured. You pick him and bracket a replacement (you don't even need to publicly announce the substitute guy... just give him a call and tell him he's on stand-by).

It's obviously a crutch. They don't want Horner because someone doesn't like him. They should have just said that they won't discuss selection. As soon as they discuss it... they open themselves to criticism on their decision criteria.

I have to say, when I read the American list, I thought, who's Jason McCartney? Chris Horner I've heard of....

please no flaming for me not knowing who JM is and daring to post anyway...

Hey Horner, do you know what this is? it's the smallest violin and it's playing just for you.

Horner has been sick a lot this year while McCartney has not and is a workhorse with a huge engine which is exactly what Leipheimer needs.

earth_dweller said:
Hey Horner, do you know what this is? it's the smallest violin and it's playing just for you.

Horner has been sick a lot this year while McCartney has not and is a workhorse with a huge engine which is exactly what Leipheimer needs.
I am with you ED, I for one cannot IMAGINE why someone wouldn't like him.....he is just so.....oh what are the words I am looking for.......humble and generous???....no that isn't it..........I am glad he was left home just so he would have to endure the blow to his massive ego.....****ing annoying, THAT is what I was thinking..

Big deal. Every rider who is not included in his national team selection for the Olympics and/or the World Championships complains...

Again, I never understand the big deal about Horner. He is a decent rider. That's it. How does he get so much attention/air time?

Powerful Pete said:
Big deal. Every rider who is not included in his national team selection for the Olympics and/or the World Championships complains...

Again, I never understand the big deal about Horner. He is a decent rider. That's it. How does he get so much attention/air time?
He is a decent rider, dominated the U.S. domestic scene for a while, and has a history of telling it like it is in interviews. He certainly gives much more insightful interviews than any other American pro, perhaps any other English speaking pro.

Horner appears quite geniune in his interviews, but is he really telling like it is in his interviews?

Last year he was interviewed and talked about doping and how it was changing in the peloton and he said:

"You can see the differences," he said. "As a rider it is easily perceptible, or as a well-educated fan sitting at home. You get to a climb and everyone has maybe one or two team-mates with him -- that is doable. You can't have a leader's team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front -- and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out."

so he's bad mouthing the usps/disco team for having their whole team at the front at the end of TdF stages. And what does he do? he joins the team led by Bruyneel.

genuine my ass.

earth_dweller said:
Horner appears quite geniune in his interviews, but is he really telling like it is in his interviews?

Last year he was interviewed and talked about doping and how it was changing in the peloton and he said:

"You can see the differences," he said. "As a rider it is easily perceptible, or as a well-educated fan sitting at home. You get to a climb and everyone has maybe one or two team-mates with him -- that is doable. You can't have a leader's team getting to the final climb with five guys on the front, like every year from three years back all the way back. It is impossible to ride the front with your whole team and get to the final climb with most of your team still on the front -- and be ready to come back and do it day in and day out."

so he's bad mouthing the usps/disco team for having their whole team at the front at the end of TdF stages. And what does he do? he joins the team led by Bruyneel.

genuine my ass.
His quote about USPS/Disco was before he decided to drink the JB coolaid. Now, he's one of the cult.

hawkeye87 said:
His quote about USPS/Disco was before he decided to drink the JB coolaid. Now, he's one of the cult.
Or Riis cult???

Hell, look at them at the Tour and at the Olympics!!!
Ridiculous.
USP/Disco dirty? *********** yes, but CSC even worse, hiding behind Damsgaard!

Aquamarinos said:
Or Riis cult???

Ridiculous.
jealous that none of your Astana boys (who also use Damsgaard) made it to the podium?

Aquamarinos said:
Or Riis cult???

Ridiculous.
CSC won't be worse until they win NINE TDFs.

I have liked CSC. That's dead now. After their TDF performance it's completely clear that they are successfully cheating. Prior to that, I would lay odds it may be a few riders who were gaming.

Look at where MOST of the CSC riders ended up in the final Olympic RR standings.

earth_dweller said:

genuine my ass.
?

Sastre
FSchleck
ASchleck
Voigt
Cancellara
Arvesen

I count six

earth_dweller said:

genuine my ass.
Horner definitely *****ed out when he was hired by Astana, but it was a notable because it was an exception to his usual interviews.

Whenever he is interviewed about how a race went, he can give good insight about what was going on and why something happened--better than any other american pro. You would think Hincapie must have been asleep during a race by what he has to say afterward.