Horrible Brake Problems

guzekre

Sep 4, 2003
Hi All.

I have a 02 Fuji Cross. It has an aluminum frame+fork with Avid shorty 4 brakes. When ever I apply my front brakes the whole front starts to wildly vibrate to the point where I was almost thrown off my bike!!! Also the brakes scream when applied. I've toed the pads, cleaned and sanded the pads, cleaned the rims, and made sure the rims are true. My head set is not loose either.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the prob may be?

tnx in advance

Originally posted by guzekre
Hi All.

I have a 02 Fuji Cross. It has an aluminum frame+fork with Avid shorty 4 brakes. When ever I apply my front brakes the whole front starts to wildly vibrate to the point where I was almost thrown off my bike!!! Also the brakes scream when applied. I've toed the pads, cleaned and sanded the pads, cleaned the rims, and made sure the rims are true. My head set is not loose either.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the prob may be?

tnx in advance

Try toeing them more, or check the pivots for play. IMO too much play there can cause uncureable squeal.

Originally posted by dabac
Try toeing them more, or check the pivots for play. IMO too much play there can cause uncureable squeal.

How do we deal with excess play in the calipers? I tried to tighten the allen screw that holds them on?

tnx

Originally posted by dabac

^^

Originally posted by guzekre
How do we deal with excess play in the calipers? I tried to tighten the allen screw that holds them on?

tnx
Depends on if the play is back-and-forward or side-to-side. Tightening the allens can deal with b-a-f play but will do next to nothing for s-t-s play. Unless you have a friend that's a machinist and is willing to make a new set of bushings for you it probably stops there.