Horrible news: Ryan Cox dead

Watching him cover every single attack by Jose Rujano on the Genting Highlands was incredibly impressive. RIP.

Very sad to hear that. :(

Yes, the way he kept Rujano in check going up to Genting was amazing. With Soler he would have made an impressive climbing duo in the 2008 TDF. Sincere condolences to his family and friends, especialy Robbie Hunter.

Very sad to lose such a good rider this way.

It's very unlucky too. I understand that he had a vascular op to correct some kind of entrapment of an artery in his leg (?adductor canal). It really should have been a low risk procedure. I wondered if he developed an infection that led to a blow-out and haemorrhagic shock. Very very unlucky.

Just read the CN article on this. It mentions that he was concerned about the cost of the surgery on his leg and his hospital stay, and that Robbie Hunter lent him some of the money. Maybe I'm just confused coming from the American health insurance system, but do pro riders not get any kind of health insurance provided by their team for this kind of stuff? The article suggests that he cut his hospital stay short over concerns about the cost. That's terrible.

Surprised that there's no medical insurance for these riders, especially given the physical risks of cycling. And no wonder they use their team doctor so much.

I note that his operation was on 4 July, even with an extra day or two prior to surgery, that would give him at least 3 weeks of recovery time. It sure sounded like an infected wound or one that hasn't been monitored carefully post surgery.

Not a nice way to make my first post. Why did Barloworld not pick up the bill. His injury was kept quite as many of us here expected Cox to be in the Tour squad.