Horrible photo and story

Terrible. The original story in Spanish was translated by someone on bikeforums where they said that the police asked him to stop and he didn't (and may have been fleeing from the police). I also have read on usenet (though unsubstantiated again) that he was high on cocaine. Seems like there is a lot of stories going round. If he did fall asleep though... it seems he was able to put the brakes on during impact (judging by the photo)... which is unlikely.

Horrific. What a nightmare. Well, at least they have it on film. I hope they put the guy away for a good long time.

that is very unfortunate....I feel for the riders and their families, especially the one that died....makes me wonder how something like this happens and there is no vigilante justice done especially from someone that presents himself as being inibriated or worse high in cocaine or some other drug...he should have been dragged and given a whopping of his life...just my humble opinion.

Why do you think he was capable of applying the brakes? Unfortunately as I gazed at this picture, it appears that the black thing flying in the air in the top left area is a riders helmet.

Jeebus! This thread needs the actual picture so you are not required to click on a link to find out what it's about.

4.JPG

That's one of my worst nightmares biking in the streets of Houston! Getting run over by an idiot driver! There's too many idiot drivers in Houston compared to Chicago! Lot's of highway accidents! One bad driver was speeding and swerving between cars in the city - like he was running awy from the cops...

A driver like that should be locked away for life, or made to pay damages through the nose...

This is partly why I don't bike too much anymore in Houston! Would bike lots in Chicago!

Canzures said:
that is very unfortunate....I feel for the riders and their families, especially the one that died....makes me wonder how something like this happens and there is no vigilante justice done especially from someone that presents himself as being inibriated or worse high in cocaine or some other drug...he should have been dragged and given a whopping of his life...just my humble opinion.

Uh-huh. Whatever. I guess the answer to a careless and stupid act, is another careless and stupid act. :rolleyes:

Canzures said:
I agree. The only caveat is that it's always possible that the driver had a seizure or heart attack, or some other medical event that caused the crash. But if I were at such a scene, and knew that there was no such excuse, I'd be happy to join in killing him (if I thought we could get away with it).

Pendejo said:
I agree. The only caveat is that it's always possible that the driver had a seizure or heart attack, or some other medical event that caused the crash. But if I were at such a scene, and knew that there was no such excuse, I'd be happy to join in killing him (if I thought we could get away with it).
Whatever happened to the philosopher in you dude? To meet violence with violence is useless.

Holy ****... there are some vigilante cowboys still in this country... :eek: Let's form a posse. And we'll torture him as well first. I think a beheading would be good. But with a rusty blunt pen-knife.

Jeepers guys... the guy didn't go out driving that day on a mission to plough head-on into a group of cyclists. And even if by some bizarre fluke.. he did... what would killing him prove or achieve?

Crankyfeet said:
Holy ****... there are some vigilante cowboys still in this country... :eek: Let's form a posse. And we'll torture him as well first. I think a beheading would be good. But with a rusty blunt pen-knife.

Jeepers guys... the guy didn't go out driving that day on a mission to plough head-on into a group of cyclists. And even if by some bizarre fluke.. he did... what would killing him prove or achieve?

hmm, if that driver was intoxicated and then got behind the wheel, chances are increased with him killing someone behind the wheel. this happenedin Mexico but also happens everywhere else. I believe that is whats wrong with the world, especially in the USA. the laws are too not harsh enough and varies from state to state. it would do the country alot of good if laws regarding an eye for an eye are enacted for manslaughter, not do 10, 15, 20 years and are free to go....

remember the beltway sniper in the dc metro area a few years ago, well they are still alive sucking up our tax dollars. kill them already

Canzures said:
hmm, if that driver was intoxicated and then got behind the wheel, chances are increased with him killing someone behind the wheel. this happenedin Mexico but also happens everywhere else. I believe that is whats wrong with the world, especially in the USA. the laws are too not harsh enough and varies from state to state. it would do the country alot of good if laws regarding an eye for an eye are enacted for manslaughter, not do 10, 15, 20 years and are free to go....

remember the beltway sniper in the dc metro area a few years ago, well they are still alive sucking up our tax dollars. kill them already
Why don't we kill all intoxicated drivers?... Cause whether you hit someone and kill them inadvertently while driving under the influence is only a question of how the dice fall... :rolleyes:

Chavez said:
...yet satisfying.
The meaning of the word "justice" in the US especially seems to be heavily connected to "revenge". The punishment of the guilty seems to revolve around the family of the victim getting some satisfaction from causing mirror pain to the assailant.

I thought justice was about true accountability for misdeeds... not about getting your vengeful hate feelings out by stoning the perp. How can taking someone's life willingly for any reason be justified (barring self-defence)?

To quote a Judge from Nevada........

" the Death penalty has worked every time it has been applied, Never a repeat offender "

Farmguy said:

" the Death penalty has worked every time it has been applied, Never a repeat offender "

...and it's had zero effect on the crime rate.

Farmguy said:

+1

if capital punishment was used more often if it would certainly make an impact.

Canzures said:
+1

if capital punishment was used more often if it would certainly make an impact.

Yeah? You have any info to back that up, or is that just a wild ass guess or statement based on nothing? Does it come from your deep understanding of human behavior?