Horse ate my saddle

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Steve Walford, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. This should give you all a laugh, it really happened to me today

    Out for a ride today I stopped for a pit stop leaning my bike against a gate into a field. I noticed
    something in the hedgerow and been the nosy type I went to have a look. After a minute or so I heard
    a noise, but took no notice, when I stood up I noticed a horse leaning over the gate and licking my
    saddle. I went up to the gate and shood the horse away, used my sleeve to wipe away the saliva and
    noticed the bloody thing had taken a bite out of my saddle.

    Perfectly good saddle ruined

    So watch were you lean your bike

    Remove nospam from email address to reply

    Tags:

  2. >This should give you all a laugh, it really happened to me today

    And it did :) Sorry about the saddle, but it was funny :)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Simon Hay

    Simon Hay Guest

    Steve Walford wrote:
    > This should give you all a laugh, it really happened to me today

    <snip>

    > I went up to the gate and shood the horse away, used my sleeve to wipe away the saliva and noticed
    > the bloody thing had taken a bite out of my saddle.

    Hehe... that's truly classic :) Hope the saddle wasn't TOO expensive and/or prized (hadn't taken
    you several decades to mould exactly to the shape of your posterior...) :)

    Simon

  4. Lenny Taylor

    Lenny Taylor Guest

    We are all grateful to hear that you weren't on the saddle at the time of the "attack" thus
    preserving your posterior for the future. . .

    "Steve Walford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > This should give you all a laugh, it really happened to me today
    >
    > Out for a ride today I stopped for a pit stop leaning my bike against a gate into a field. I
    > noticed something in the hedgerow and been the nosy type I went to have a look. After a minute or
    > so I heard a noise, but took no notice, when I stood up I noticed a horse leaning over the gate
    > and licking my saddle. I went up to the gate and shood the horse away, used my sleeve to wipe away
    > the saliva and noticed the bloody thing had taken a bite out of my saddle.
    >
    > Perfectly good saddle ruined
    >
    > So watch were you lean your bike
    >

    > Remove nospam from email address to reply

  5. Dave Le Good

    Dave Le Good Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:10:02 +0000, Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Walford wrote:
    >> This should give you all a laugh, it really happened to me today
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> I went up to the gate and shood the horse away, used my sleeve to wipe away the saliva and
    >> noticed the bloody thing had taken a bite out of my saddle.
    >
    >Hehe... that's truly classic :) Hope the saddle wasn't TOO expensive and/or prized (hadn't taken
    >you several decades to mould exactly to the shape of your posterior...) :)

    Could have been worse. At least you were not sitting on it at the time.

    Dave

  6. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
    Steve Walford <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Perfectly good saddle ruined
    >
    > So watch were you lean your bike

    Heh!

    Don't forget that lesson if you do cyclecamping. Either cows or horses will eat a tent, so take care
    what you share a field with.

    --
    Friday: Look what goodies we are, not destroying Baghdad's power supply Saturday: OK, the meeja
    have published that; still plenty of time to bomb the power supply and leave them to stew before

  7. Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote ...
    > Steve Walford wrote:
    > > This should give you all a laugh, it really happened to me today
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > I went up to the gate and shood the horse away, used my sleeve to wipe away the saliva and
    > > noticed the bloody thing had taken a bite out of my saddle.
    >
    > Hehe... that's truly classic :) Hope the saddle wasn't TOO expensive and/or prized (hadn't taken
    > you several decades to mould exactly to the shape of your posterior...) :)

    but a Brooks is tough enough to stand up to a horse without much damage - it happened to a friend in
    Ireland about 4 years ago

    Andrew

  8. in all probability, it licked the saddle, found it salty (from your sweat) and then took a bite.

    on summer evenings, i notice salt crystallizing on my h****t straps. sometimes my fancy wicking
    coolmax shirts, too.

    -Luigi

  9. Albert

    Albert Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:eek:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard
    > of Steve Walford <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Perfectly good saddle ruined
    > >
    > > So watch were you lean your bike
    >
    > Heh!
    >
    > Don't forget that lesson if you do cyclecamping. Either cows or horses will eat a tent, so take
    > care what you share a field with.

    I was once rudely awoken by a slobbery cows face with a strand of flob just inches from dripping on
    to my face after I fell asleep doing the happy camper with whisky fall asleep starwatching move

    Albert

  10. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    Wildlife do seem to like saddles. A white cockatoo in New Zealand took several bites out of my
    prized Terry ladies saddle with several thousand bottom miles in it. Even worse, this was the start
    of a six month tour. So I found an upholsterer, got them to patch it with furnishing foam, and
    bought a yukky fluorescent yellow cover for it.

    And when I got back home I did claim on the insurance, as the Terry's saddles weren't then on sale
    in UK and had to be imported from US, so they cost a bomb.
    --
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and
    trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett Steph Peters delete invalid from

  11. I'm surprised no-one has come up with..

    Dobbin is not recommended instead of Dubbin...

  12. Matsav

    Matsav Guest

    > >I'm surprised no-one has come up with..
    > >

    > >Dobbin is not recommended instead of Dubbin...
    >
    > Neigh lad, I'm not surprised at all ;-)

    Surely that should be Sir Prized, the knight who was riding Dobbin :)

    --
    MatSav

  13. G.Harman

    G.Harman Guest

    On Sun, 23 Mar 2003 20:27:36 +0000, [email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote:

    >I Heh!
    >
    >Don't forget that lesson if you do cyclecamping. Either cows or horses will eat a tent, so take
    >care what you share a field with.

    During a long ago School holiday summer spent working on a Nursery Garden the two resident Bullocks
    ate a Caravan. have admired the good taste of bovines ever since.

    G.harman