Horse Thief Bench

Slacker wrote:
>> Has anyone of smaller frame cleaned it? In watching the folks I ride
>> with, it's much easier for a 6'+ person to heave their bike over and
>> around obstacles. It just seems like it takes me twice the effort to
>> do what the larger folk do. Yes, I know skill has a lot to do with
>> it. Track stands, trial maneuvers, and what not. However, every
>> video and pic I have seen of people even attempting it have been
>> bigger framed people.
>>
>> --o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

> Please tell me that was a joke, but you forgot the smiley!
>
> If anything, us short people have an advantage when it gets steep and
> nasty.

What's the advantage? Less of a drop to the ground? There's steep, I
can handle that. Then there's nasty. HTB has 3' drops which drop onto
4' drops which drop onto off-camber 3' drops. That's nasty. Not too
mention the little loose bits on top of the drop to the drops. I don't
even think I would go over it in a barrel.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 20:45:14 -0500, Ride-A-Lot
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Slacker wrote:
>>> Has anyone of smaller frame cleaned it? In watching the folks I ride
>>> with, it's much easier for a 6'+ person to heave their bike over and
>>> around obstacles. It just seems like it takes me twice the effort to
>>> do what the larger folk do. Yes, I know skill has a lot to do with
>>> it. Track stands, trial maneuvers, and what not. However, every
>>> video and pic I have seen of people even attempting it have been
>>> bigger framed people.
>>>
>>> --o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

>> Please tell me that was a joke, but you forgot the smiley!
>> If anything, us short people have an advantage when it gets steep and
>> nasty.

> What's the advantage? Less of a drop to the ground? There's steep, I
> can handle that. Then there's nasty. HTB has 3' drops which drop onto
> 4' drops which drop onto off-camber 3' drops. That's nasty. Not too
> mention the little loose bits on top of the drop to the drops. I don't
> even think I would go over it in a barrel.
>
>>> --o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o

Namely, a lower COG. Don't mean to imply all short dudes/chicks have an
advantage, just some of us.

Now, with that being said, my buddy and I came across this short, but very
steep/loose chute. I was on my DH rig and still didn't have enough balls,
so I ghost rode the Turner as I followed sliding on my ass.

I quickly brushed off the dirt and remounted the Turner :) as I waited
for my buddy to round the corner. He freaked too, stopped at the top and
asked if I cleaned it. I replied, "Doesn't it look like I did? Of courseI
cleaned it... Please!" "Come-on, try it, its not as bad as it looks" :p
:p :p

errrrrrr.... sssshhhhhhhhhhhhh......errrrrrrrr.... ohhhhh

"Dude, are you alright??"

--
Slacker

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> What's the advantage? Less of a drop to the ground? There's steep, I
> can handle that. Then there's nasty. HTB has 3' drops which drop onto
> 4' drops which drop onto off-camber 3' drops. That's nasty. Not too
> mention the little loose bits on top of the drop to the drops.

Lower COG. It's definitely an advantage.

The Horsethief entrance can be rolled. There is no
requirement that anything be dropped.

Craig Brossman wrote:
> just a guy that likes to ride in the dirt wrote:
>
>> Who here has cleaned it?
>>
>> Some of our locals were posting on the club board, how none of them had
>> cleaned it during a trip out west. Feck, these were some of our better
>> riders.
>>
>> They said the guys riding it on Fagerlin's site made it look easy.
>>
>> We suck!!
>>

> I've cleaned it, but that was at least 6 years ago, and it was easier.
> Easier enough that the last few times I've tried it, I bailed pretty early.
> Erosion happens!
>
> BTW, there are plenty of guys/gals who are much better riders than I, so
> I would imagine that the list of guys/gals who have cleaned it back then
> and perhaps even more recently is pretty large.

Me too, but not in several years. It's much nastier now. I can clean the
rest of the trail but bail early on the entrance lately.

Matt (seen many fail)

p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
> > What's the advantage? Less of a drop to the ground? There's

steep, I
> > can handle that. Then there's nasty. HTB has 3' drops which drop

onto
> > 4' drops which drop onto off-camber 3' drops. That's nasty. Not

too
> > mention the little loose bits on top of the drop to the drops.

> Lower COG. It's definitely an advantage.

That and skill beats me every time on the nastier stuff like TJ's line
on the Ribbon's infamous orange rock drain.

> The Horsethief entrance can be rolled. There is no
> requirement that anything be dropped.

Troot, mon.

JD

> p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>> > What's the advantage? Less of a drop to the ground? There's

> steep, I
>> > can handle that. Then there's nasty. HTB has 3' drops which drop

> onto
>> > 4' drops which drop onto off-camber 3' drops. That's nasty. Not

> too
>> > mention the little loose bits on top of the drop to the drops.

>> Lower COG. It's definitely an advantage.

> That and skill beats me every time on the nastier stuff like TJ's line
> on the Ribbon's infamous orange rock drain.
>
>> The Horsethief entrance can be rolled. There is no
>> requirement that anything be dropped.

> Troot, mon.
>
> JD

I snaked Justa guys photo and drew the lines that I have witnessed. My
line is the pussified line. There is soo much garbage down there now. It
is getting easier to ride.

TJ

www.fatboy.s5.com

> p e t e f a g e r l i n wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>>
>> > What's the advantage? Less of a drop to the ground? There's

> steep, I
>> > can handle that. Then there's nasty. HTB has 3' drops which drop

> onto
>> > 4' drops which drop onto off-camber 3' drops. That's nasty. Not

> too
>> > mention the little loose bits on top of the drop to the drops.

>> Lower COG. It's definitely an advantage.

> That and skill beats me every time on the nastier stuff like TJ's line
> on the Ribbon's infamous orange rock drain.
>
>> The Horsethief entrance can be rolled. There is no
>> requirement that anything be dropped.

> Troot, mon.
>
> JD

Here is the link this time oops.